X-Men: First Class (2011)

Options

Comments

• airforcememphis
    airforcememphis Members Posts: 111
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I liked it..Wolverine's brief appearance was hilarious..

But apparently if you stayed after the movie(which I know I didn't or most of you) it would've showed the black dude coming back. Still doesn't take from that fact they took his ass out quickly.

Smh at Beast ignoring signs of the ? being thrown at him though.

Best of all of the Xmen series as of now
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I liked it..Wolverine's brief appearance was hilarious..

But apparently if you stayed after the movie(which I know I didn't or most of you) it would've showed the black dude coming back. Still doesn't take from that fact they took his ass out quickly.

Smh at Beast ignoring signs of the ? being thrown at him though.

Best of all of the Xmen series as of now
    i stayed and did not see anything
  • zoomgp
    zoomgp Members Posts: 60
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yea nothing happened after the movie.

kavin bacon was that dude tho. i enjoyed it and my girl was skeptical at first but thought it was pretty good.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    X-Men: First Place At US Box Office
    But the mutants' power is weaker...

05 June 2011 | Source: Box Office Mojo

Professor Xavier and his young mutants might have the power to help save the world from nuclear war, but the X-Men franchise pre-boot (prequel reboot) First Class didn’t quite soar into the stratosphere, opening to a decent $56 million (unlike many other recent blockbusters, that's without a 3D price bump). Still, hopefully good word of mouth may mean it has strong legs.

Despite a hefty opening, negative buzz looks to have made The Hangover 2’s own legs a little wobbly, as the comedy sequel tumbled 62% on its second weekend, earning $32.4 million. Still, a huge launch around the world means that Todd Phillips and co won’t be too worried – it’s already on course to earn as much as (or more than) the original. Kung Fu Panda 2 slipped to third with $24.3 million, while Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides dipped to fourth with $18 million. Bridesmaids rounded out the top five, taking $12.1 million this weekend.

Thor fell one place to sixth, nabbing $4.2 million, while Fast Five was seventh with $3.2 million. Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris continued to do well as it added $2.9 million in eighth place. Ninth was Jumping the Broom, which took $865,000 and switched places with Something Borrowed, which went down to 10th and $835,000.

To hone your powers of statistics and earnings, head over to school at Box Office Mojo.

James White

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31158
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    First of all i would ? every ? in that movie, can you say hot ? for days. lol

I thought the movie was dope as ? , it reminded me of Batman Begins in how they gave context and a foundation of how the superheros came to be known. I'm sure some of the stuff doesn't stick to the comic book per se, but i understand they have to fit it to a script and movie.I thought it was funny how Zoe Kravitz sold out with the quickness, ? didn't even think of it and Mystique got some low self esteem, ? fell for the first ? to show her some attention. Beast has no game, being nice to hoes and ? while Magneto come snatch your hoe.This movie was easilly the best one out of all the X Men story line, more continuity and storyline. I can't wait for a sequel, hopefully they bring in Appocalype and Sinister somewhere down the line.

Movie was ? epic, now it's time for me to go see if i can find nude pics of these ? in this movie. lmfao
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Did anyone catch Storm as a kid when Professor X was using that machine to search for Kevin Bacon?
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Storm as a kid when Professor X was using that machine to search for Kevin Bacon?

yeah, that was fly. but she wasn't in africa, which confused me.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

yeah I caught that

im actually going to see it again tommorow... partly cause tickets are half price and my homies wanna see it, but it was that dope imo
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    there is going to be a sequel.

X-Men: First Class 2

Fox envisions X-Men: First Class as the first film of a new trilogy.[28] Lauren Schuler Donner compared the franchise plans to be similar to the darker, more mature content of the Harry Potter film series.[54] While speaking about the sequels, director Matthew Vaughn said, "First Class is similar to Batman Begins, where you have the fun of introducing the characters and getting to know them, but that takes time. But with the second one you can just get on with it and have a rollicking good time. That’s the main difference between Begins and The Dark Knight."
  • ToWn_DrUnK
    ToWn_DrUnK Members Posts: 1,018
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    u can watch it here.

http://www.movie2k.to/X-Men-First-Class-watch-movie-685355.html

im about to watch it.

good lookin me too lets see what it's all about
  • destro1
    destro1 Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    First of all i would ? every ? in that movie, can you say hot ? for days. lol

I thought the movie was dope as ? , it reminded me of Batman Begins in how they gave context and a foundation of how the superheros came to be known. I'm sure some of the stuff doesn't stick to the comic book per se, but i understand they have to fit it to a script and movie.I thought it was funny how Zoe Kravitz sold out with the quickness, ? didn't even think of it and Mystique got some low self esteem, ? fell for the first ? to show her some attention. Beast has no game, being nice to hoes and ? while Magneto come snatch your hoe.This movie was easilly the best one out of all the X Men story line, more continuity and storyline. I can't wait for a sequel, hopefully they bring in Appocalype and Sinister somewhere down the line.

Movie was ? epic, now it's time for me to go see if i can find nude pics of these ? in this movie. lmfao

I will say remember she was a stripper .... you cant turn a hoe into housewife ( or an X-man....!!
  • Manc
    Manc Members Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Anybody else get the vibe Professor X = MLK Jr and Magneto = Malcolm X
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    mayz19 wrote: »

you're about 50 years late on that comparison...
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    mayz19 wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    you're about 50 years late on that comparison...

lmao, really....
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    Loved the wolverine cameo. Dont like the rewriting of history though......

what he said....but the film was great though
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm with most people when the trailer looked uninterested but the movie was great. Also I think X2 was the least one I liked.
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Azaezel was tight....suprised he was in thier since his character is pretty new and has no ties to the hellfire club in the comics....the rewriting of the comic books is not a favorite of mine but its keeps u guessing
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    go ? yourself... lol movie was cool though. Magneto is a ? ...
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    destro1 wrote: »
    I will say remember she was a stripper .... you cant turn a hoe into housewife ( or an X-man....!!

lol yo, I said "go figure, the stripper sells out everybody to save her own ass." At least that part of the movie was accurate... and am I the only one that caught subliminal racism in the movie minus both minority characters gettin ? off? like when Kevin Bacon was talkin about becoming slaves to humans or somethin like that, the camera IMMEDIATELY went straight to the black guy. All I could do was smgdh.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol yo, I said "go figure, the stripper sells out everybody to save her own ass." At least that part of the movie was accurate... and am I the only one that caught subliminal racism in the movie minus both minority characters gettin ? off? like when Kevin Bacon was talkin about becoming slaves to humans or somethin like that, the camera IMMEDIATELY went straight to the black guy. All I could do was smgdh.

but you got to remember... that ? was in the 60s so i could understand why bacon would say that and why the cameras went to darwin
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Azaezel was tight....suprised he was in thier since his character is pretty new and has no ties to the hellfire club in the comics....the rewriting of the comic books is not a favorite of mine but its keeps u guessing

? is the father of Nightcrawler,he gets with Mystique later.But yeah I honestly think he had the best power other than Magneto.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2011/06/on-x-men-race-relations-and-the-elephant-in-the-room?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uproxx%2Ftss+%28The+Smoking+Section%29
    The X-Men comic book franchise started in 1964 as a daring parable: gifted individuals (more engaging/descriptive word?) persecuted for being born “differently” than the rest of the world. These “mutants” had two divergent leaders in Professor X, the MLK stand-in who believed humans and mutants could live together in harmony and Magneto, the Malcolm X radical who wanted mutants to rule over their inferior human counterparts. This has always been the crux of the X-Men storyline and compelling enough to maintain comic book’s most popular franchise for 50 years

Over the last decade, X-Men has gone Hollywood and with that came a new layer to the allegory: how genetic mutations are comparable to the ? rights battle. X2, directed by the brilliant Bryan Singer, featured a scene where one character has to “come out” to his parents. The scene is rather overt, but still handled well enough that the movie doesn’t yell out HEY THIS GUY’S ACTUALLY ? , THAT’S WHAT THIS IS ABOUT!!! Unfortunately, the third X-Men, directed by the halftard who directed Rush Hour 3 or some sh*t, was an abomination; a horribly illogical piece of convoluted mess that could might as well have yelled “BUTT SEX…does that make YOU uncomfortable” every time mutants talked about being “different.”

I totally sympathize and understand the desire to put the ? rights movement in the same realm as the Civil Rights movement, and I’m not one to argue about which group gets f*cked over worse. But I do contend that the latest installment of the X-franchise, First Class, opted to focus on the ? rights issues under (below) the surface in lieu of racial conflicts.

Let me make this clear: X-Men First Class was way better than it had any right to be. As I stated earlier this year, expectations where pretty low but the movie blew me away. It’s right next to X2 as the greatest X-film to date. For a full review with all the relevant film critiques and stuff I’m not smart enough for, you can go check out Vince’s house. I agree with his review and one sentence in particular stood out (mild, inconsequential spoiler alert): “Also, if you’re trying to be PC, you probably shouldn’t ? off the only black guy first, five minutes after you introduce him. Just saying.”

And really, my only major gripe with the movie comes from the one scene that seems to ignore the fact that the movie A.) takes place in 1962 when B.) being Black was generally considered not awesome.

The scene comes after a young crew of mutants come together for the first time. Five white kids and one African-American. Mystique, the mutant that’s born blue but can transform into any person she wants, complains about how her life is horrible because she looks different. Beast, who’s also battling a deformity called *gasp* BIG FEET, echoes Mystique’s frustrations. Basically, no one else in the room knows their plight.

When they said this, I tried to channel Professor X’s powers of telepathy to get Darwin, Black guy, to yell out, “? , I’m Black!!!” But he just sat there, looking like his mutant power was the ability to appear human while actually being the room’s lone elephant.

Later, in what has to be considered either a failure to master subtlety or horrible editing, the main villain talks about how humans will enslave mutants. As soon as he utters the word “enslavement,” the camera cuts to the token black guy and stays there for an uncomfortable amount of time. Ah yes, Black people were enslaved. We forgot.

From that point on, X-Men focuses on its ? rights allegory. However, the movie missed a grand opportunity to play the anti-mutant segregation against the backdrop of the real life racial segregation taking place in 1962. I understand what X-Men: First Class was trying to do by making the message largely about the ? rights struggle. But ignoring the racial issues that directly parallel – especially set in the midst of the mid-60s – is a glaring misstep that’s hard to reconcile.

• Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yeah I noticed that too.they had kevin bacon look striaght at the black dude...it went along with the story line and era though....and yeah the black guy was killed quick and the black girl was a traitor...
    freshb651 wrote: »
    ? is the father of Nightcrawler,he gets with Mystique later.But yeah I honestly think he had the best power other than Magneto.
    I know dude. but his character is pretty much brand new he was created in like 2003 or 2004...he doesnt have a long history within marvel was my point...but I like him
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    did anyone catch the lil storm cameo when xavier put cerebro on??