BRINK Thread

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in IllGaming
Well under a month to go before release now. Here's a new overview trailer that explains the core concept of the game.

Comments

• focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Get ‘SMART’ About Brink’s Complex Gameplay: What makes it different from Call of Duty?

Michael McWhertor — Playing Splash Damage's Brink likely won't require too much thought, but if you're at all confused about what this online multiplayer shooter has to offer that's different from your standard Halo or Call of Duty fare, you might want to watch this.

Bethesda offers this educational video on "The Basics"—the classes, objectives and customization of this team-based first-person shooter, due in just a couple weeks. And if you're wondering why they're emphasizing the SMART, they're referring to the "smooth movement across random terrain" system that makes running through these levels less troublesome.

Brink comes to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in North America on May 10, 2011 and across Europe on May 13, 2011.

Can't believe more people not amped for this?
  • focus
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • focus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The INSANE Numbers of Brink
    By Brian Crecente, May 6, 2011 09:00 AM
    Brink has some shocking large numbers connected to it.

There are, for instance, 45 ways to die in the game and one hundred times the weapon sounds. But those are the small numbers. The big numbers? They run into the quadrillions. Wait did I just make that up?

Here is the full rundown of crazy numbers, as provided by Brink:
    Voice Packs: 8
    Number of ways to die: 45
    Individual weapon sounds: 4,500
    Lines of Dialogue: 26,000
    Minutes of Music: 60
    Weapon attachment combinations (not counting for Resistance variations or pre-order content): 4,963
    Unique Security Characters (not counting minor tint variations or body types): 4,530,240
    Unique Security Characters (not counting minor tint variations but including body types):13,590,720
    Unique Security Characters (including minor tint variations, but not body types)15,775,119,360,000,000
    Unique Security Characters (including minor tint variations and body types) 47,325,358,080,000,000
    Unique Resistance Characters (not counting minor tint variations or body types): 4,530,240
    Unique Resistance Characters (not counting minor tint variations but including body types):13,590,720
    Unique Resistance Characters (including minor tint variations, but not body types): 18,307,441,152,000,000
    Unique Resistance Characters (including minor tint variations and body types): 54,922,323,456,000,000
    Total Unique Characters (including minor tint variations and body types): 102,247,681,536,000,000

http://m.kotaku.com/5799286/the-insane-numbers-of-brink
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    For those interested in Brink... someone is streaming gameplay live right now

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/d0r1en0
  • focus
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-brink-screenshot-comparison/

PS3/360 version comparison I know nothing about this game I havent been following it
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well, as of right now, 360 version has online which equals automatic win, since majority of people who buy FPS buy them to play online.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-brink-screenshot-comparison/

PS3/360 version comparison I know nothing about this game I haven't been following it

if its one disc on both systems all it boils down to me is free vs 63 bucks lol
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i have it havent played but my ? that have said its cheesy and kinda of wack.
  • Bcotton5
    edited May 2011
    Options
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/brink-review/

Joystiq review 2/5

6/10 from IGN

4/10 from G4TV
  • Bcotton5
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol this game is getting ? on by reviewers
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    An exercise in needless repetition.

Set in a nearby future, Brink attempts to do something different with multiplayer gaming by focusing on free-running and parkour. With some good ideas, Brink borders on fun, but its repetition, lack of depth, and graphical problems keep it from being a real contender.

Brink is set atop a floating city called The Ark that has been isolated for over twenty years. A bastion for surviving humans, the Ark is split into two zones, one guarded by security forces, the other by rebels. Brink immediately asks you to choose a side, but, you can take your persistent character through both sides of the bland story, making it pointless. In fact, during character creation, the only permanent choice is a character's ? appearance and their tattoos. Beyond that, you can change your size, look, weapons, class, and faction on a whim. This makes starting multiple characters almost irrelevant, except that experience maxes out at level 20.

Brink Video Review

There are four classes in Brink, but there's a disappointing lack of definition between them. Due to the nature of Brink's maps, classes require constant changing. One objective might need repairs from an Engineer, while another might have a Medic heal a VIP. But classes don't really play differently. I was often confused when I couldn't drop a turret only to remember I was a Soldier, a class with a different set of skills. There's not much of a chance to pick and master a favorite class.

Brink's one shining aspect is SMART (Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain). Using SMART, holding a single button lets you navigate up walls, over obstacles, and through the game world. Depending on your body size, you can do more or less with movement, but overall this finesse is fantastic. Nothing in Brink feels quite as good as sliding under gunfire into someone, taking them out with a shotgun.

However, it's easy to forget which size your character is in first-person perspective, as movement abilities don't change dramatically. While the Large size allows miniguns and shotguns, they still move only slightly slower than the Medium size. Only Small characters can really burst through levels, leaping off of walls and finding clever passageways.

Stopping a Hack

Brink offers 50 skills to unlock, but only 20 are assigned to a specific character. While some high-level skills can really augment how the game is played, such as the Cortex Bomb or firing while incapacitated, a first level player can generally compete with a twentieth level player if they know FPS games. No skill choice is set in stone, so the ability to reassign points at any given time is available.

Brink gives experience upon completing objectives, killing enemies, and helping the team. There is no incentive to become a lone wolf -- there are more points for reviving a teammate than going it alone. Brink's lack of stat tracking is glaring, though. The official website holds some info, but otherwise level, kills, deaths, and successes are hidden -- those of other players too.

While Brink's campaign explains both sides of story, the missions don't need to be played in order. Brink's entire campaign can be played solo or online. Any gaps in a match's player count are filled in with bots, which can't really compete with the real thing. The AI always makes a full team push to their objective at the last second, so you always know where to be.
    brink-20110509053630032.jpg
    Slide your way to victory.

You can jump sides at any point outside of a mission, and even general multiplayer just presents the same set of missions, shuffled like a deck of cards. Cut-scenes vaguely indicate a reason to fight. Each faction has a leader and a goal, but neither is very interesting, and the player merely shows up as a background character as other NPCs discuss mission plans and story details.

There are eight maps in Brink, and depending on the faction, the goals are slightly different. Teams either place explosives, hack devices, ? a VIP, or operate machinery on one side, or simply do the opposite for the other faction. Unfortunately, there are only so many ways to tackle these same objectives time and time again on a small number of maps.

Brink's objectives are repetitive, but the level design is better. Because different sizes of characters allow access to different areas, discovering the full breadth of a map will take quite a while. But again, since objective locations never change, I realized there are a finite number of ways to get things done, and grew weary of certain maps. With a game dedicated to the online experience, there truly needs to be more content in this department.

Life in Container City

Time plays a huge factor in every match of Brink. While a bomb timer makes sense, there are some truly odd design choices based on an arbitrary ticking clock. For example, when one team needs to save a VIP, the other team's job is to stop them. But when downing the VIP, the team must guard the body lying on the ground for up to ten minutes, just keeping the enemy at bay and waiting for the clock to run out like it's the end of their shift. The waiting is frustrating, especially when dominating a match or if stuck helplessly battling a talented team.

At least the visual design of the overall package looks cool. Brink's elongated characters have a style all their own and leveling up unlocks new clothing options. However, while the art design is cool, the graphical execution isn't on par. During play, Brink suffers from pixelated lines and a murky look, making for a downright ugly game at times. Textures often fail to load properly, and with colored outlines on your teammates and the enemy, the detail in everyone's dress is obscured most of the time. While Bethesda and Splash Damage have promised a day one patch to correct some graphical problems, I can't see the general visual issues being fixed.

Closing Comments
    An online shooter needs variety, depth, and addictiveness to succeed over the long term. Brink might find a niche with some ? fans, but it isn’t for everyone. I'd love to see more of the parkour gameplay, but one mechanic isn't enough to carry an entire game. Brink has heart, but the overall package is lacking.

Presentation 7.5
    The style and world of Brink look cool, from the unique characters to the appearance choices and menus.

Graphics 6.5
    Once inside the game, Brink’s world suffers from pixelated lines, murky colors, and an almost greased-lens effect.

Sound 6.5The music and sound effects do a decent job of presenting the game, but bigger actions like explosions just don’t deliver.

Gameplay 6.0
    Moving through the world using the SMART system works great, but the repetitive objectives simply grow tiresome.

Lasting Appeal 5.5
    Maxing out a character in a matter of days is just too quick. While you can adjust your skills, the repetition of objectives and the fight don’t make this a game you can really hang on to.

OVERALL 6.0 (Okay)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    is this the game from the people who made Black?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lmao this ? looks terrible

the single player is by all appearances, completely irrelevant and wack. They keep gassing up CHOOSE YOUR SIDE! like the ? is Mass Effect or something but you can access all the levels and switch side from the gate anyway so what's the point?

if the MP was great the game could overcome this but the numerous class and map imbalances make it sound AWFUL.

LMFAO @ anyone who shelled out $60 + tax/shipping for Brink, ? 's not even worth a torrent download
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blazini wrote: »
    i have it havent played but my ? that have said its cheesy and kinda of wack.

For once we can agree this game is getting ? on by everyone I think ill stick with KZ3
  • Bcotton5
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol they ? on it on AOTS right now
  • DaFifthElement
    edited May 2011
    Options
    damn i missed it lol
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol they ? on it on AOTS right now

i aint watch that since olivia munn left. is it still good?
  • DaFifthElement
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i aint watch that since olivia munn left. is it still good?

Dude...have you seen Munn in her Princess Leia attire?
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    damn this game getting ? on imma gamefly it to see how it is
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Itsfun with friends ONLINE but seems to me like a $29 game. I hope none of you paid full price for it .
  • DaFifthElement
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blazini wrote: »
    Itsfun with friends ONLINE but seems to me like a $29 game. I hope none of you paid full price for it .

Tell Peter I said I love his show.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Shooter Brink has disappeared from the Steam store in the UK.

The Brink game page has been replaced by a message stating: "This item is currently unavailable in your region."

A post on Bethesda's official forum by senior community manager Gstaff confirms the company is aware of the issue. "Looking into the matter as we speak... hold tight," it reads.

Splash Damage is also investigating and has retweeted an earlier message from the official Brink Twitter account: "RE: Steam unlock issues for some users: RT @brinkgame @wstn we're looking at it and should have it resolved quickly"

Searching for the game on Steam returns several trailers, but no access to the game page itself or ability to activate the title.

Initial reports from members of the Steam forum confirm only UK users are affected. Those elsewhere in Europe are still able to download the title.

Steam launched in Europe today.
  • DaFifthElement
    edited May 2011
    Options