PS3 Help?

Options
lamontbdc
lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in IllGaming
My PS3 just stopped reading discs last night. Put a game, dvd, cd or whatever in and nothing happens. ? doesn't even show up. so my question is how do I transfer all my saved data to a new PS3. Can I simply back it up to a external hard drive then upload that file on a new PS3?

Comments

• Piffawana
    Piffawana Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Copy the game savefiles to a usb stick and transfer it to your new one.
    Im gonna do that ? too, just leave my gamefiles on a usb just in case.

Im scared tho, too lose my gran turismo 5 file lol
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Piffawana wrote: »
    Copy the game savefiles to a usb stick and transfer it to your new one.
    Im gonna do that ? too, just leave my gamefiles on a usb just in case.

Im scared tho, too lose my gran turismo 5 file lol

I've started backing up my important game data to Cloud. But every month or so I do a full back up to an external HD. Takes a while, but I usually set it to do before going to sleep.
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    My PS3 just stopped reading discs last night. Put a game, dvd, cd or whatever in and nothing happens. ? doesn't even show up. so my question is how do I transfer all my saved data to a new PS3. Can I simply back it up to a external hard drive then upload that file on a new PS3?

You can either just transfer the save game files to an external or flash or do a full system backup and then restore to the new one.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    good looking fellas. I wasn't sure if that was the correct process

i was loading up my dynasty for NCAA 11 and that ? just froze up for along time then my PS3 restarted and wouldn't read discs anymore

gamestop said they would give me 100 minus 20 for repairs as long as it still comes on.
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    what they said... my brother had the same issue a few years back. and bought a new one.. he didnt bother backing up his game saves..he just wanted to use the same ID which wasnt a problem
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    U can save game saves on a usb? Good to know. I'm about to put in a new hard drive on my ps3
  • gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    good looking fellas. I wasn't sure if that was the correct process

i was loading up my dynasty for NCAA 11 and that ? just froze up for along time then my PS3 restarted and wouldn't read discs anymore

gamestop said they would give me 100 minus 20 for repairs as long as it still comes on.

so they only gonna give you 80$ for ur playstation..you might as well send it back to sony and get it fixed.
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    gucci7383 wrote: »
    so they only gonna give you 80$ for ur playstation..you might as well send it back to sony and get it fixed.

Sony charges $ 150.00 if you're out of warranty. Gophermods fixes for $ 70.00
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Sony charges $ 150.00 if you're out of warranty. Gophermods fixes for $ 70.00

Yea go with gophermods.com
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    get a xbox360 problem solved
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    get a xbox360 problem solved

He's trying to solve the problem, not bring in another one.