Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in IllGaming
New pricing, hardware, design, and release information uncovered.

More details of Nintendo's forthcoming console, codenamed Project Cafe aka Wii 2, have been revealed to IGN, including the system's estimated pricing, release, console design, processing architecture, and name.

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

For more on Project Cafe, stay tuned to IGN.com.

Comments

• imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think it would most def be in their best interest to release it when they've got the content for launch.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Exactly what I expected. Sounds good. Not feeling the current "name" frontrunner though. If they launch this year that would be crazy.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think they should wait until next year to release this so they can give developers more time to learn the system. I'm pretty sure that first gen. games won't be [as] impressive as what's currently being put out and I don't see them benefitting from rushing it out.

? , I might as well just have quoted imm0rt4l and typed ...............
  • imm0rt4l
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yea it's just good business/common sense especially considering the few devs that have kits have only had theirs since December.
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think they should wait until next year to release this so they can give developers more time to learn the system. I'm pretty sure that first gen. games won't be [as] impressive as what's currently being put out and I don't see them benefitting from rushing it out.

? , I might as well just have quoted imm0rt4l and typed ............... l

2012 is next year :confused:
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

I was referring to that. Nice try tho lol
  • imm0rt4l
    edited April 2011
    Options

The article says that Nintendo can possibly launch this year as early as October.
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You all have to excuse me.............Easter holiday from today until Tuesday and I've already had a glass of Johnny Walker since leaving work (a glass or 2 :D).
  • imm0rt4l
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nintendo-project-cafe.jpg

Alleged Leaked images
  • focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Nintendo launched the Gameboy Advance and the Gamecube in the same year. It'll be interesting if they try that again with the 3DS and "Project Cafe".
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    hmmm interesting.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Interested to see what graphical feature the gpu can do
  • imm0rt4l
    edited April 2011
    Options
    More and more people are saying the images are fake, also IGN doesn't have much clout these days.
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I will definately buy an HD Nintendo console. I'm glad the got proper controllers this time around too.

• focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    First Grainy Picture of Project Cafe Leaked?
    by Chris M. Arnone 20 hours ago, 7877 views
    The rumors have been unending about the next generation Nintendo home console, codenamed Project Café. This picture (courtesy of Destructoid) shows what looks like a slide from a developer's conference.

Since that text on the slide is a bit small, here's what it says:

"Project Cafe is simply the most developer friendly SDK the industry has ever seen. Deliver unparalleled next generation performance at current generation costs. It doesn't get any easier than this."

The slide also talks about easy portability from PC and Xbox 360, anytime live updating, and integrated M-Live framework.

Looks like Nintendo may be trying to avoid the development issues the PS3 ran into when it first hit the market.

project-cafe-first-pic_1303500553.jpg
  • Sym_
    Sym_ Members Posts: 842
    edited April 2011
    Options
    is nintendo serious? a 3 core processor...xbox 360 ALREADY has that...unless it's clocked at 4ghz or something that is severely disappointing

an amd gpu based on 2008 tech/ati 4000 series????

does nintendo not know ati is already in the 6000 series for their GPUs???

wtf... inexcusable after nintendo charged 250$ for a souped up gamecube, making profit from day ONE

this thing better have AT LEAST 2gigs of ram
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    HD zelda and no more cell shaded ? plxkthnx
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nintendo stay winning.......