New Nintendo Console Confirmed

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in IllGaming
Wii successor revealed and playable at E3 this June.

Nintendo Japan tonight confirmed it will release a new game console in calendar year 2012. It will be announced and playable at E3 this coming June.

"We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles," the company said in a brief statement.

Nintendo did not reveal any additional details.

Multiple sources tell IGN the console - dubbed Project Cafe - will be "significantly more powerful" than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and be backwards compatible with current Wii software. The console will also utilize a new, tablet-shaped controller. Sources say it will have a 6-inch touch screen display, dual analog sticks, and has the ability to stream content directly from the console.

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    That ? sound kinda hot
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    aww snizzap! once again, nintendo setting the gaming trend.

*waits for sony & microsoft to copy*
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Since its "playable" at E3, then all the other rumors about specs and release date are very possible. The "playable" (not announced) at E3 rumor is the one most websites said they didn't believe.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Cant wait to see what this ? can do, being the leader is some tough ? to pull off
  • Jay Pee
    Jay Pee Members Posts: 761
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ahhhh Nintendo could of been the monopoly of the video game world, but bad decisions and stubborns from up top stumped you all. Just enter the adult market you can still have your childish games like Mario I play both lets get it Nintendo!!! By the way sounds nice.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jay ? wrote: »
    Ahhhh Nintendo could of been the monopoly of the video game world, but bad decisions and stubborns from up top stumped you all. Just enter the adult market you can still have your childish games like Mario I play both lets get it Nintendo!!! By the way sounds nice.

werd i'll play some mario and some metroid lol. jus waitin for some new zelda
  • Piffawana
    Piffawana Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is good because itll push sony and micro to make a even better console to win gamers for them.
    Meaning piff consoles people!!!
  • focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Nintendo Wants "New Approach" With Wii Successor
    By Brian Ashcraft, Apr 25, 2011 06:30 AM

With the Wii successor, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said, "We would like to propose a new approach to home video game consoles."

However, don't count on a 3D home console like Nintendo's newly released 3D-glasses free portable, the Nintendo 3DS. According to Bloomberg, Iwata said, "It's difficult to make 3-D images a key feature, because 3-D televisions haven't obtained wide acceptance yet."

It doesn't sound like Iwata is making a dig at 3D (and in turn, the 3DS), but just point out the facts: most people still don't own 3D televisions.
  • focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Nintendo's New Console 'Playable By Everyone' At E3
    By StephenTotilo, Apr 25, 2011 12:30 PM
    Nintendo's confirmation this morning that they'll be showing their new console at E3 left many unanswered questions, but also raised a note of skepticism. The company's statement on the Wii successor promises "a playable model" of the machine at E3 in June. But would Nintendo just play it on stage and leave attendees to gawk? No. "Playable means playable by everyone," a spokesperson for Nintendo told Kotaku today. Presumably, "everyone" means "everyone who shows up at E3 and maybe waits on a line or schedules an appointment." We'll be there in June, playing it.

This tells us two things IMO

1. Nintendo's new console does...something...that needs to experienced first hand. They've said so in teh past, and there is no reason for everyone experience a demo of "HD".

2. Nintendo is releasing this console outside of the normal Christmas holiday. I'm thinking March 2012 again. I can't see them having a playable console at this year's E3, then waiting another year and a half and another E3 to actually release it.
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    This tells us two things IMO

1. Nintendo's new console does...something...that needs to experienced first hand. They've said so in teh past, and there is no reason for everyone experience a demo of "HD".

2. Nintendo is releasing this console outside of the normal Christmas holiday. I'm thinking March 2012 again. I can't see them having a playable console at this year's E3, then waiting another year and a half and another E3 to actually release it.

Agreed.......
  • joshuaboy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    this is wack juice,...

I JUST bought my ps3 last thursday..

and now with Nintendo droppin the next gen, Sony and Microsoft are going to follow suit..
    smh

i lauce

Nah man. Sony & MS won't be dropping new system for at least 3 or so more years. Both systems are both finally profitable for them and devs are just picking up steam. Plus, with Firmware updates, they keep upgrading every so often.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So What Is Everybody Gonna Jump On Marios Bandwagon Now?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    this proves that the Wii was just casual fodder and that Nintendo betrayed their fanboys for mass appeal.ROFL@ at the idiots who still support this mediocre company.They have not had a ? console since the SNES.Stop it people they are done.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

I know right? It will be another mediocre console with nothing but Mario spinoffs.Look I wanted to believe in Nintendo,but they dropped the ball with the Wii and not that they have milked the casual market since they could not compete with Sony and MS they want to release a new console claiming that it's for the ? .BS.Sony is the premier company and the should get more support and respect for sticking it out through the tough years of the PS3 and continuing to support their console with great games unlike the competition.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Nintendo have been selling the same games since the first Nintendo?? I really don't remember the last all new original Nintendo title that did well and became a franchise. Every console or handheld who had a big selling game from Nintendo is nothing more then a sequel or a complete remake of one of the original classic Nintendo game. So as much as I want to get excited for the new Nintendo console, I know that their catalouge of games is just going to consist of a new Mario game, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kirby and the rebirth of some classic Nintendo game we really didn't give a ? about when it firs came out. They really know how to milk nostalgia
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    kevmic wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Nintendo have been selling the same games since the first Nintendo?? I really don't remember the last all new original Nintendo title that did well and became a franchise. Every console or handheld who had a big selling game from Nintendo is nothing more then a sequel or a complete remake of one of the original classic Nintendo game. So as much as I want to get excited for the new Nintendo console, I know that their catalouge of games is just going to consist of a new Mario game, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kirby and the rebirth of some classic Nintendo game we really didn't give a ? about when it firs came out. They really know how to milk nostalgia

Super Smash Bros.

Plz don't patronize me.
  • focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Looks like Nintendo is taking E3 again. Between this new console and the 3DS, they have a ? load of new stuff to reveal. M$ has been very hush hush, so it could go one way or another. They are usually pretty good about keeping secrets and are usually very serious about E3 tho. But still, they either have alot to surprises, or nothing at all. Either way, there is a reason to watch.

Sony's will be like last year. They had to announce the NGP waaaay too far in advance because the 3DS forced their hand, but now their is absoultely nothing interesting they can possible share about it. We know what it looks like, what it can do, how it controls, and what games are coming. We also know its not coming this year so no release date, price, etc. The rest of the conference will be centered around Move and games that were announced years ago and still have come out, especially with The Last Guardian delayed. No reason to watch.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Nintendo have been selling the same games since the first Nintendo?
    Super Smash Bros.
    Technically, you're right since SSB came out on N64 lol

They had Red Steel, No More Heroes, TvC, Mad World & Conduit, tho I'm not sure how well those sold; Probably not that great since they aren't casual games.
    .... I really don't remember the last all new original Nintendo title that did well and became a franchise.

Oh, nevermind.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

I don't think their was ever a reason to get off....
    Super Smash Bros.

Plz don't patronize me.

I'm not gonna lie, I lol'd
    focus wrote: »
    Looks like Nintendo is taking E3 again. Between this new console and the 3DS, they have a ? load of new stuff to reveal. M$ has been very hush hush, so it could go one way or another. They are usually pretty good about keeping secrets and are usually very serious about E3 tho. But still, they either have alot to surprises, or nothing at all. Either way, there is a reason to watch.

Sony's will be like last year. They had to announce the NGP waaaay too far in advance because the 3DS forced their hand, but now their is absoultely nothing interesting they can possible share about it. We know what it looks like, what it can do, how it controls, and what games are coming. We also know its not coming this year so no release date, price, etc. The rest of the conference will be centered around Move and games that were announced years ago and still have come out, especially with The Last Guardian delayed. No reason to watch.
    Real talk, those are the exact words that came out of my magic 8ball. I'm not even gonna watch the sony conference.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    this proves that the Wii was just casual fodder and that Nintendo betrayed their fanboys for mass appeal.ROFL@ at the idiots who still support this mediocre company.They have not had a ? console since the SNES.Stop it people they are done.

you cant be serious...........
  • imm0rt4l
    edited April 2011
    Options
    you cant be serious...........

fanboys and haters alike are some of the most deluded people.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    imm0rt4l wrote: »
    fanboys and haters alike are some of the most deluded people.

but that sounds like beyond hating....sounds personal to me....nintendo a medicore company? really??
  • imm0rt4l
    edited April 2011
    Options
    but that sounds like beyond hating....sounds personal to me....nintendo a medicore company? really??
    Oh it is personal, he's the illegitimate son of Satoru Iwata, he's rebelling against the father that he never knew, and the money he will never inherit.
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    N64 >>>> ps1
    in what universe?
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Not sure if this a good move for nintendo. Most likely MS and Sony next system is going to be technically superior. When the developer make a game for the 720/ps4 they going to have to scale it back to work on the cafe which is what is happening now w/ the wii which result in most of them saying ? it