Judge Blocked Leagues Appeal

Options
goodlookinout
goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Season must start now

MINNEAPOLIS -- The federal judge who lifted the NFL lockout dealt another blow to the league late Wednesday, denying its request to put her ruling on hold and guaranteeing more limbo for the $9 billion business.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson wrote that the NFL "has not met its burden for a stay pending appeal, expedited or otherwise." She dismissed the NFL's argument that it is facing irreparable harm because of her decision Monday to end the 45-day lockout.

"In short, the world of 'chaos' the NFL claims it has been thrust into -- essentially the 'free-market' system this nation otherwise willfully operates under -- is not compelled by this court's order," Nelson wrote.

Nelson ruled that the league year must start immediately, but said no team is required to sign free agents. She did not specify any rules on trades, creating a gray area.

Nelson's decision also stated that all lockout rules are over, meaning teams must open their facilities and allow workouts.

The judge acknowledged that her decision will be appealed to the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis and the NFL has promised that step. There was no immediate word from the league after Nelson's decision.

The ruling means the league has no rules in place, shelved since the collective bargaining agreement ended on March 11 and the lockout was imposed shortly afterward.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, during an earlier predraft event in New York, said he wasn't worried about the state of confusion tarnishing the league's image but stressed his desire to "remove" the uncertainty.

"It's one of the things I don't think is healthy for the players, the clubs and most importantly our fans," he said.

Attorneys for the players had dismissed the NFL's argument that it risks either violating antitrust laws by coming up with new league rules without a collective bargaining agreement in place or harming its competitive balance by allowing a potential free agency free-for-all.

"If the NFL defendants are faced with a dilemma, they put themselves in that position by repeatedly imposing rules and restrictions that violate the antitrust laws," the attorneys wrote. "Any alleged predicament is of their own making."

The solution, the players argued, is to simply implement a system that does not violate antitrust laws.

Nelson agreed.

"Again, the NFL argues it will suffer irreparable harm because it is now 'forced to choose between the irreparable harm of unrestricted free agency or the irreparable harm of more treble damages lawsuits,' " Nelson wrote. "But no such Scylla-or- Charybdis choice exists here. There is no injunction in place preventing the NFL from exercising, under its hoped-for protection of the labor laws, any of its rights to negotiate terms and conditions of employment, such as free agency."

The NFL will now place its hopes with the 8th Circuit, viewed as a more friendly venue to the league than the federal courts in Minnesota.

Goodell said the surest way for the league to operate without running afoul of antitrust laws is to get back to bargaining with the players. The two sides had 16 days of talks with a mediator earlier this year and four more with a federal magistrate. Little progress has been seen, though the two sides are scheduled to meet again May 16.

"That's how we've been successful. That's how other leagues have been successful, and it should continue that way," Goodell said.

All of this played out while teams are preparing for Thursday's draft. Most players again stayed away from team headquarters, working out on their own as the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987 plays out in court. Two Washington Redskins players showed up at their facility, another rather fruitless visit.

"What we're looking for is a little clarity as far as what the rules are, so we can operate on the same page. So we'll just have to wait and see what those rules are," coach Mike Shanahan said.

Detroit defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch said he hadn't heard about any players visiting Lions headquarters.

"Until guys know they can get some work done at that facility, they're just going to work out on their own and take a wait-and-see approach," he said.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

• KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You Already Know , Thank You Based ?

199615_1580432761350_1551617710_31262961_5678419_n.jpg
  • goodlookinout
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Dead @ that pic
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    smh, the first statement of this thread got me hype.

but these ? still gon appeal in 8th circuit court, this ? is annoying already. Goodell and Smith should just fight 1 on 1 in a boxing match, winner gets his way lol
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited April 2011
    Options
    smh, the first statement of this thread got me hype.

but these ? still gon appeal in 8th circuit court, this ? is annoying already. Goodell and Smith should just fight 1 on 1 in a boxing match, winner gets his way lol

Man that would be hilarious if thats how it got settled Lmao...
  • goodlookinout
    edited April 2011
    Options
    U think Smith got hands???? I dunno Goodell might body him
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited April 2011
    Options
    U think Smith got hands???? I dunno Goodell might body him

Seeing that his First name is Demaurice , He's def. killed a ? with his bare hands before....

DeMaurice_Smith_Lockout_Coming_March.jpg

He's got the "Who this ? ? is?" Face....i'd place my money on him.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Schefter tweets

"Judge ordered NFL to start its league year immediately, but said no team is obligated to sign free agents. Trades in question."

"Judge's 20 page order takes her 89 page order from Mon and hits the major points even harder.*Makes NFL's attempt to get overturned harder."

"League will tell the teams to hold pending 8th Circuit Ruling on the stay, NFLPA's position is it can't. Going to be interesting."
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Schefter tweets

"Judge ordered NFL to start its league year immediately, but said no team is obligated to sign free agents. Trades in question."

"Judge's 20 page order takes her 89 page order from Mon and hits the major points even harder.*Makes NFL's attempt to get overturned harder."

"League will tell the teams to hold pending 8th Circuit Ruling on the stay, NFLPA's position is it can't. Going to be interesting."

they gonna ? Judge Nelson off.. she's already upset they didn't take to her first ruling... Now this and they still not letting players workout at the facilities???

someone's gonna be held in contempt of the court..

NFL playing games, better get their act together.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Seeing that his First name is Demaurice , He's def. killed a ? with his bare hands before....

DeMaurice_Smith_Lockout_Coming_March.jpg

He's got the "Who this ? ? is?" Face....i'd place my money on him.

yeah im takin smith in that one lol
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    SMH, just let'em play!
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I read that most of the normal operations will begin monday, including players being able to use team facilities. I also think they can start making deals.