Cam Newton's prospects as a pro wit the Panthers?

Options
Nut Did N' Cider
Nut Did N' Cider Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
My mind says he's not mature enuff to handle this pressure. My heart says he gonna be dat ? . Cam wash away the memories of the last black number 1 overall qb taken. Jamarcus Lost. Newton will win. Let's do it for our people

Comments

• Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Could be JRuss 2.0 or a Big Better MAC 5 .
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If they bring him along slow he will be aight. Maybe he starts after week 8. Plus they are a running team. Run that ? and dont ask him to do too much.
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Potentially Big Ben/Vick. Right now he needs at least a half a season to learn the game from the sidelines. But the sky is the limit.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »
    If they bring him along slow he will be aight. Maybe he starts after week 8. Plus they are a running team. Run that ? and dont ask him to do too much.

This.

He's got a looooong way to go, tho. I'd be surprised if his career is any better than Vince Young. At least VY didn't have any character questions coming in.

I don't see Cam dealing with criticism and riding the bench too well. He left Florida because he had to wait one more year under Tebow, and his ego is thru the roof.

I say it's a 65/35 chance he's a bust.
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Vince Young>>>Cam Newton
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well, i'll say this, i didnt like him when i first saw a few of his Games at Auburn, he was a pretty rough passer to me, he made huge strides by time the year ended in my opinion.

this is a guy who went through a lot with the media and never lost his cool at all ..

he' dominated at his JUCO and won a NJCAA Football Championship.

and in just One year in the SEC which is regarded as the "Powerhouse" of conferences he came in and completely dominated, that has to stand for something, i mean he came in right away and just put up video game stats in the hardest conference in all of college football...

i could see if he was a in the SEC for 3 or 4 years as a starter then did all that but dude came in as a One year starter and just killed it ..

His Composure i wouldnt actually worry about, he kept it cool while getting ripped in the media while he was playing this year and pulled out a Heisman and National Championship, he could have easily folded under that...

Does he have ? to work on? Of Course, but u do have to be impressed with what he did in that type of conference in just one year, hate em' or love em' u still gotta respect what he did was just all out sick.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    ? starting.... Sign a huge signing bonus b

call me a bust but you can't call me broke ?

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Can't be worse than Jimmy Clausen.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Vince Young part 2.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This.

He's got a looooong way to go, tho. I'd be surprised if his career is any better than Vince Young. At least VY didn't have any character questions coming in.

I don't see Cam dealing with criticism and riding the bench too well. He left Florida because he had to wait one more year under Tebow, and his ego is thru the roof.

I say it's a 65/35 chance he's a bust.

He had more criticism than most any college player ever and he dealt with that by winning a Heisman and the bcs title game. and helping mount a great victory over alabama. Now we don't know if he can make the throws, we don't know if he can elude NFL defenses but one thing he showed is that he can deal with criticism and pressure in a way that most athetes could not
  • 1of1
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Vince Young part 2.
    Offensive Rookie of the Year?
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i think the packers showed teams the blueprint for getting the best you possibly can out of a first round qb.... you have to let him learn the offense.... he should sit out at least a full season...they need to give him a chance to succeed.... right now they have problems with the offensive line and desperately need receivers...they need to address those problems before they even think of putting him in....

the learning curve is already unbelievably difficult coming from system offenses in college, facing mostly mediocre defenses with only a handful of pros at best... to put a rookie qb in the game w/o the necessary tools is not a wise move.... there are veterans who have been successful that get to teams w/ similar problems on offense the panthers have and they completely flop... so what makes you think a green qb coming out of college will get the job done???

Qb's are fragile players.... they are expected to be the backbone of the team and provide confidence even when times are bad.... so why would u throw in a rookie, who knows that is whats expected of him, into a situation where he cant succeed? chances are you are gonna shatter his confidence and ? his career up

we all know about other high 1st round qb's that have been busts... its happened to a lot of our teams.... while some of the qb's (like ryan leaf, jamarcus russel) just were terrible choices and were not built to be qb's in the NFL, there are a ? load of others who, under the correct tutelage could have become elite qb's (david carr comes to mind) .....

the texans ruined david carr but not getting him an offensive line... he showed flashes of greatness but after a while his confidence was shot, he took too many hits, and as a result developed terrible habits (holding the ball too long because he was LOOKING for where he was going to get hit from next)

i think with the skill set newton has, he can become an elite qb.... a stronger, faster, more athletic big ben.... he needs to learn the offense, get an elite receiver and a go to tight end and slot receiver and get a line in front of him that will not force him into the habit of being a run first QB.... he has the running game, so thats a step in the right direction...

if they screw it up and put him in before he has those parts and truly learns the position than he can easily be a bust... lucky for panther fans ron rivera specializes in coaching qb's so hopefully he does the right thing and doesnt fold under pressure from dumb fans and management... we will see
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i Will Say this tho' if you dont go out and and make a great attempt at getting Cam Newton some real weapons then you really wasting your time even drafting him , he has the runningbacks , but Smith seems to want out so who the hell is he throwing to? you cant do it all in one year but 3 or 4 years from now if you still got a trash ass WR core and Wack Pass Protection dont fault him 100% , i never understood that, all the positions go hand and hand..
  • 1of1
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ? that. Preseason game #1 I wanna see ? on the sideline holding signs: CAM36
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    they shud use him like florida used Tebow to begin with...then hand him the team as soon as Jimmy gets concussed
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    They shouldnt have taken him, hes gonna have a steeep learning curve, and this aint auburn where there were only a few NFL caliber players. These are grown men that are going to try to hurt him. He should have a solid running game, but whos he gonna throw to? Let clausen play this year and let him learn. Or Go get L. Fitzgerald, lol. Dude cant even read defenses and I know he had a quick tempo O, but is he gonna be able to make audilbles and make adjustments. Mike Vick is a better runner, and even he gets hurt. Hes not gonna be able to rely on his legs
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It literally does not matter what Cam Newton's pro potential is.

If Carolina doesn't shape up as an organization, it's over.

If Ron Rivera (who has already shown he's a ? for public opinion) can't control this organization, it's over.

Obviously matt knows their history better than I, but its not like y'all have a long history of success. It's not as if you have tradition to fall back on. The rapid turnaround by John Fox could easily have been the masterpiece OF JOHN FOX (and Julius Peppers). Not...the Carolina Panthers.

Cam's going to perform, like a rookie quarterback. How is the Carolina Panther organization going to handle the situation?
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It depends on how this enormous ego of his will affect him, cause if he plays any during his rookie year, I doubt he'll have any even relatively good games, so he will either work hard as ? , or figure his talent will eventually win over.
    The guy has proven to be a winner in his past two years of playing football, and I believe that is huge. He's also proven that he can handle media scrutiny, which is huge for quarterbacks, especially quarterbacks that are supposed to save a franchise.

In the end, I'm not sure if he will be the biggest stat guy in the league, but I think he will lead his team to wins, a la Vince Young.
  • Darius
    edited April 2011
    Options
    its a risky move, but i'm not going to make any judgements. we got almost $60 million in the bank so i want to see how the rest of the draft and free agency plays out.
  • bigrizz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The biggest difference between Locker and Newton is Locker has had rough times and dealt with it very well....how will cam deal with losing.....Thats the difference between good and great QBs.....
  • Darius
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    The biggest difference between Locker and Newton is Locker has had rough times and dealt with it very well....how will cam deal with losing.....Thats the difference between good and great QBs.....

and Cam has done well under pressure and while being scrutinized and slammed daily in the media. Locker has never had to deal with that.
  • bigrizz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    and Cam has done well under pressure and while being scrutinized and slammed daily in the media. Locker has never had to deal with that.

He got roasted for staying in school, ? on for having a horrible team and a supar seaon and lost a few mill. I think thats worse

Cam brought all that ? in himself. He got himself kicked out of school, he shouldve told his dad not to say anything, and he didnt have to steal a laptop. i dont think he was slammed, people werent making things up out of thin air. He still went number one....
  • Darius
    edited April 2011
    Options
    He got roasted for staying in school, ? on for having a horrible team and a supar seaon and lost a few mill. I think thats worse

Cam brought all that ? in himself. He got himself kicked out of school, he shouldve told his dad not to say anything, and he didnt have to steal a laptop. i dont think he was slammed, people werent making things up out of thin air. He still went number one....

the pressure, the scrutiny, the badgering of the media, etc... was much worse for Cam. In fact, its not even comparable.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    ? starting.... Sign a huge signing bonus b

call me a bust but you can't call me broke ?

goes to Ryan Leaf, J.Russell, Tim Couch..and a host of other number 1 draft picks that arent in the league any more..and eventually lost all their money....

cant call him broke now, but sure might be able to call him broke later...

ask l.sprewell, a.walker and s.pippen

? aint smart enough to invest their bread...edit SOME ? ....

the book still out on Cam, fam.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

But that's different than being hated by 80% of the general public. Locker's scrutiny was immediately turned into a positive, until he started failing on the field. Cam had a HUGE negative over his head from week 5 of the season and had to endure questions about his character and integrity on a daily basis, and somehow he managed to handle it better than many professionals do. Cam has the media part down cold, he just needs to get that playbook down and really prove haters wrong...
This discussion has been closed.