Rakim vs. Biggie - Who has a better case for G.O.A.T.?

Options

Comments

• runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    biggies in my top 5 and rakim isnt but i still got to give it to rakim because big just dosnt have a big enough body of work....
  • Old Fart
    Old Fart Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    da ? kinda crazy question is this?

now end this foolishness
  • runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Old ? wrote: »
    da ? kinda crazy question is this?

now end this foolishness

this is my point
  • the_underground
    the_underground Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I mean, they were two different artists. Lyrically, Rakim would be the best. big is for the flow.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I would go with Biggie but Rakim is still a hall or fame rapper, if there's a hall of fame rap list his name is definitely up there with the rest.
  • Old Fart
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I mean, they were two different artists. Lyrically, Rakim would be the best. big is for the flow.
    Word?

Rakim taught us all how to flow. Big included. Ra damn near invented 'flow'. but all opinions are valid
  • Old Fart
    edited June 2010
    Options
    to be fair, Big did have a fly ass flow. this is a perfect blend of flow and lyricism.
  • enomujacku
    enomujacku Members Posts: 992
    edited June 2010
    Options
    its some in here that get it. i always liked rakim since before i was a hip-hop head. i knew every word from "dont sweat the technique" but to me him and biggie is the yin and yang of rap. as good as rakim was with lyrics, biggie was just as good with flow.
  • midwestgangsta
    midwestgangsta Members Posts: 996
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Big of course... i love rakim... grew up on that ? ... but his impact doesn't compare to that of big and thats just a fact... its funny you see the same four or five posters always rootin for the underdog just to be different...
  • dookeyface
    dookeyface Members Posts: 44
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Big of course... i love rakim... grew up on that ? ... but his impact doesn't compare to that of big and thats just a fact... its funny you see the same four or five posters always rootin for the underdog just to be different...

Please tell me you jokin'. I see Rakim's style/influence/impact in: Nas, Big, Black Thought, Canibus, Run, Jay-Z, GZA, Antoinette, Buckshot, and too many others to name.

Big influenced/impacted who?? Jay-Z, Lil' Kim & Cease? Maybe Diddy?
  • midwestgangsta
    midwestgangsta Members Posts: 996
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dookeyface wrote: »
    Please tell me you jokin'. I see Rakim's style/influence/impact in: Nas, Big, Black Thought, Canibus, Run, Jay-Z, GZA, Antoinette, Buckshot, and too many others to name.

Big influenced/impacted who?? Jay-Z, Lil' Kim & Cease? Maybe Diddy?

^Big influence impacted the whole world.... thus why his second album went diamond.... do u know what that means????? it means a whooooooooooooole lotta people loved listenin to biggie. He started bein flashy with rap in a new way. I (unlike u) listened to rap through both of em and i love rakim... but he was no where near how impactful biggie was... it's cool that u kids try n do ur homework n come to conclusions but alot of times that don't work... so ur never gonna understand
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ^Big influence impacted the whole world.... thus why his second album went diamond.... do u know what that means????? it means a whooooooooooooole lotta people loved listenin to biggie. He started bein flashy with rap in a new way. I (unlike u) listened to rap through both of em and i love rakim... but he was no where near how impactful biggie was... it's cool that u kids try n do ur homework n come to conclusions but alot of times that don't work... so ur never gonna understand

No offense but you're talking about something that has no relevance to "impact", as commercial success is very rarely used as a prerequisite to determine how impactful an artist has been.

It's neither here nor there. So what are you saying?
  • chillg
    chillg Members Posts: 569
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • dookeyface
    edited June 2010
    Options

I call ? . You basing impact off of sales. He went diamond? Ok, so did Vanilla Ice young'n. So by your standard V.Ice's impact is greater than Rakim too. See where you fail?
  • dookeyface
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And as far as "going diamond", are you gonna act like (besides good raps) having familar samples, your album drop weeks after you die, your last official recording, and it being a double, is not the reason it did 10X?
  • Punisher__
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Notice the same 3-4 posters only saying Biggie to fit in and be "politically correct."
  • enomujacku
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    No offense but you're talking about something that has no relevance to "impact", as commercial success is very rarely used as a prerequisite to determine how impactful an artist has been.

It's neither here nor there. So what are you saying?
    dont start that bs again or imma have to rip ya head off once again punisher. how is 10 million people feelin u not a impact?????????
  • Punisher__
    edited June 2010
    Options
    enomujacku wrote: »
    dont start that bs again or imma have to rip ya head off once again punisher. how is 10 million people feelin u not a impact?????????

Who has a better case for G.O.A.T...Rakim or Biggie?
  • enomujacku
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Who has a better case for G.O.A.T...Rakim or Biggie?
    ok imma keep 100. what i said in my other post was they was like the yin and yang, rakim with the lyrics and biggie with the flow. who has a better case for g.o.a.t. i dont know. to me it just depends on wat a listener values most. flow or lyrics.
  • Punisher__
    edited June 2010
    Options
    enomujacku wrote: »
    ok imma keep 100. what i said in my other post was they was like the yin and yang, rakim with the lyrics and biggie with the flow. who has a better case for g.o.a.t. i dont know. to me it just depends on wat a listener values most. flow or lyrics.

I disagree.
  • enomujacku
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I disagree.
    so make it known, wat about u disagree with.
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Big Daddy Kane on the mic would eat Biggie as a starter, eat Rakim as a large main course, and would still have plenty of room to finish of the rest of todays rappers as a light dessert.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim = Einstein, Biggie = Oppenheimer....so Rakim

lol that's a very interesting comparison
  • Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    There's no need to argue with people who say Biggie, they obviously haven't listened to Rakim and don't understand his impact.
  • Old Fart
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Big Daddy Kane on the mic would eat Biggie as a starter, eat Rakim as a large main course, and would still have plenty of room to finish of the rest of todays rappers as a light dessert.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^