So now my money is no good??

Options
LetEMknow
LetEMknow Members Posts: 300
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
I just registered an account on fulltiltpoker.net to play a few hands and I got a message that said "due to recent U.S Government actiion we cannot accept real cash games from U.S citizens"

What happened?

Comments

• whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited May 2011
    Options
    About 2 years ago the US passed a law disallowing credit card transaction to transfer money to a gambling site. They basically ignored the law and the US AG just file charges against 4 or 5 poker sites indicting the CEOs and others.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    this was kind of a big story recently...

Online Poker Players Face Big Life Changes
    The U.S. government disrupted the weekend—and life—plans of Cory Albertson and thousands of others like him who earn much of their living playing poker online.

Federal prosecutors have targeted the three largest online poker companies doing business in the U.S., charging their founders with money laundering and bank fraud and seizing five of the companies' domain names. Alexandra Berzon has details.

For nearly eight years, Mr. Albertson has camped out every Sunday on his couch with his laptop to play No Limit Hold'Em with thousands of other online players at PokerStars or Full Tilt Poker. He might pocket $500 for the day, or lose money, but sometimes he'd win big, as much as $75,000 at a time, adding a nice sum to his income as a freelance writer in Austin, Texas.

The U.S. Justice Department announced Friday it was blocking players in the U.S. from accessing Full Tilt Poker, along with other online poker sites, accusing 11 people of bank fraud and of illegally operating gambling websites. The government seized accounts run by the sites that held money stored by players.

The crackdown came after years of tension between the sites and the U.S. government, which long held that online gambling is illegal. The case could test the claim by the poker site operators that operating a poker site online isn't illegal because, they say, as a game that involves skill, poker is not gambling.