(VIDEO) Tavis Smiley & Al Sharpton Beefing Live On The Radio About Obama

Options
DarcSkies777
DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in The Social Lounge
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhCBbe4Eq438K7itWT

NO COMMENT YET CUZ i HAVENT LISTENED. jUST SAW IT ON WSHH...

EDIT:

OK after listening uh....yeah

Comments

• phanatron
    phanatron Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I listened to this yesterday. Glad to see somebody finally call out 'brother' Tavis. Ever since Obama contemplated running for office, Tavis has been throwing stones and pretty much doing everything he can to undermine him. Another writer called him the black Glenn Beck. Tavis comes across as a smug, self righteous self promoter. He does everything 'in love', its just love for himself.

Obama does not need to promote a black agenda. What he needs to do is work on fixing bad schools. He needs to promote hiring in low economic areas. He needs to try to get health care passed. If he does these things, he'll have pushed a black agenda. Why? Because Blacks are most adversely affected in these areas. Because we are disproportiantely affected, by fixing them, we will be disproportiantely benefitted.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I dont believe your first paragraph. Tavis is just speaking what he feels and not letting Obama slide, like most blacks do, based on him being the First Black Prez and us being proud of him, blah blah blah. Most black people here of course can be objective but we all know young people and black people give Obama slack like a muthafukka and make excuses for him when he has no problem kissing white people's ass (the Cambridge pig) under the guise of "he's the president of ALL Americans..." but when black people want a discussion about issues that directly affect us we just need to be quiet and stop whining.

If it wasnt for Tavis and Prof. (who's that dude with the beard?) lol and M.E. Dyson in the media running their mouths issues that affect blacks wouldnt even come up. I dont think they're hating on Obama at all.

lmao @ Sharpton going off. "SHARP-TON! That's my name!"
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lol @ Tavis accusing Sharpton of filibustering and sharpton denying it and then proceeding to filibuster LOL! And then when he was done he went to break LOL!

smh @ 25% of this conversation being, "hold on I let you talk, let me finish"
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I didnt watch it yet. but Tavis is a good dude.. but Tavis was hating hard because Obama wouldnt come to his state of the black union thing he use to do every year. Thats the genesis.. I dont know what Obamas reasons were.. at the time.. But that touched off all that animosity from Tavis.. I did here that Obama showed up via Cam i didnt get to see that one.. But his State of the Black Unions was a good look.. If you didnt have your ear to the street you wouldnt know..One day years ago i wa flippin through CNN. and peeped it and have watched a good deal of them since then
  • phanatron
    edited February 2010
    Options
    @ darcskies..

Holding Obama accountable? Tavis been holding Obama 'accountable' since Obama blew off Tavis' State of the Black Union. While Tavis was kissing the Clinton's ass, he was holding Obama 'accountable'. When Obama was just starting out, Tavis was on the radio talking about how Obama was going to be like Christopher Columbus and discover what America is 'really' like. Tavis was down the Bob Johnson crew (BET owner) who went out of their way to belittle Obama or to make him seem small or just nit pick and undermine him while all the time supporting Hillary Clinton. In some respects, Tavis is no different than Micheal Steele.

SMH @ holding him accountable. So when the Congressional Budget Office came out earlier this week and said that Obama's actions last year created or saved 2.1 million jobs, or how the GDP went from shrinking by 6% to growing by 6%, or how the economy has stabalized and how the dollar is surging against the Euro or the expansion of Children's health care of the last year,is 'brother' Tavis holding Obama accountable for that? C'mon son. Dude been in office for a year and has turned the country from heading off a complete cliff. Yes, some things have failed but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been an attempt to get things right.

What Tavis is doing now is basically acting like an objective observer when he has never been. What he's hoping for is Obama to fail so he can say 'I told you so'. Sharpton calls Obama out when he feels he needs to, but Sharpton has what no other black activist (besides maybe Dr. King) has had...Sharpton has access. If Sharpton has a problem with something Obama is doing, he can get a meeting with Obama. He can air his grievances and be listened to. Just like Bush had his 'prayer circle', where Bush would give access to super-influential pastors, Obama has a 'black-circle'. Unfortunately for Tavis, he isn't part of it.
  • phanatron
    edited February 2010
    Options
    @ Playmaker

The State of the Black Union (SOBU) was held the same weekend that Obama announced his presidency. Obama's annoucement took a lot of coverage away from the SOBU. I happened to watch it, and of course it was some high brow pontificating and slapping each other on the back for good points. And audience clapping. Obama offered to have Michele O appear but Tavis declined. Hillary did show up via satellite.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    phanatron wrote: »
    @ darcskies..

Holding Obama accountable? Tavis been holding Obama 'accountable' since Obama blew off Tavis' State of the Black Union. While Tavis was kissing the Clinton's ass, he was holding Obama 'accountable'. When Obama was just starting out, Tavis was on the radio talking about how Obama was going to be like Christopher Columbus and discover what America is 'really' like. Tavis was down the Bob Johnson crew (BET owner) who went out of their way to belittle Obama or to make him seem small or just nit pick and undermine him while all the time supporting Hillary Clinton. In some respects, Tavis is no different than Micheal Steele.
    So because he was for Clinton he's kissing ass? And Obama did discover what America is really like. If you havent been paying attention America is showing him what it is now.
    SMH @ holding him accountable. So when the Congressional Budget Office came out earlier this week and said that Obama's actions last year created or saved 2.1 million jobs, or how the GDP went from shrinking by 6% to growing by 6%, or how the economy has stabalized and how the dollar is surging against the Euro or the expansion of Children's health care of the last year,is 'brother' Tavis holding Obama accountable for that? C'mon son. Dude been in office for a year and has turned the country from heading off a complete cliff. Yes, some things have failed but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been an attempt to get things right.
    Sorry but none of that stuff means anything in most black communities. The average person trying to make ends meet could careless how the dollar is doing against the Euro. Most blacks are middle class but barely. Not in a position to give a damn about the dollar and all that nonsense when you living check to check.

So you're actually proving tavis' point. Obama has done plenty to sooth rich white people. BUt all he's done for blacks is say a Cop Acted stupidly and even then he tucked his tail when white people made a ? out of his ass and brought him to his knees.
    What Tavis is doing now is basically acting like an objective observer when he has never been. What he's hoping for is Obama to fail so he can say 'I told you so'. Sharpton calls Obama out when he feels he needs to, but Sharpton has what no other black activist (besides maybe Dr. King) has had...Sharpton has access. If Sharpton has a problem with something Obama is doing, he can get a meeting with Obama. He can air his grievances and be listened to. Just like Bush had his 'prayer circle', where Bush would give access to super-influential pastors, Obama has a 'black-circle'. Unfortunately for Tavis, he isn't part of it.

I think Tavis was more ? about the REASON Obama didnt attend not that he didnt. He didnt want to look like "one of them" while he was still trying to win over white people. Imnot saying it wasnt smart. And I know you gonna say well he is playing chess not checkers so what do you expect. And that sentiment may be correct. But it still begs critique and its not "hating" to bring it up.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ...and is that Sharptons regular voice? A constant state of loudness? lol
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    To arrogant ? arguing. Nothing new nothing special
  • phanatron
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I guess I'm missing out on what you want or what Tavis wants Obama to do. Much of the money in the Stimulus package went to hiring teachers or keeping teachers in school districts that would have cut them. Many of those teachers work in Black schools. It also went to support local and often inner city programs that each state submitted budgets for. The stimulus package is not TARP money (the bank money).

The Jobs bill that the President will probably sign today or tomorrow should have a signficant impact on minority hiring. This money is going to construction and labor jobs for roads and infrastructure....jobs that have a heavy minority impact.

Sharpton's point was that Obama can do for Blacks without trumpeting for the world to hear that he's doing for Blacks. When the Attorney General stated that the feds were not going to ? down on 'medical' marijuna sellers, that signaled that the government was not going to devote its resources tracking down weed sellers unless it was an extreme case. When the Attorney General sent sentencing guidelines for review, who was that to benefit? Look at the ratio of blacks in prison and tell me who that was for.

Obama can't give every family a job...that's not his role and given the prospect of where the economy was at when he came into office, that's an impossibility. What he can do is provide an environment so that people start hiring (part of the new tax incentive in the jobs bill) and that people get a good education (another major push of his). Beyond that, I'm not sure if what Tavis wants is even reasonable.
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2010
    Options
    @ Playmaker

The State of the Black Union (SOBU) was held the same weekend that Obama announced his presidency. Obama's annoucement took a lot of coverage away from the SOBU. I happened to watch it, and of course it was some high brow pontificating and slapping each other on the back for good points. And audience clapping. Obama offered to have Michele O appear but Tavis declined. Hillary did show up via satellite.

Yea i heard that before.. did not realize it was the same week as his announcement though,

Just finished listening.. Honestly much of this convo should have been held behind closed doors..

Both of these men have been great for America.. Sharton the OG.. and Tavis new blood.. But Sharton rightly called him on his childish displeasure for Obama the last few years. Its one thing to hold accountable but its another to.. Try to outcast and make a targer out of..

Sharpton is right Obama cant run around and do the Sharpton thing.. thats what Sharpton and the other leaders are for.. He West and others have come out and put the screws to Obama and criticized but they havent marignalized... Tavis by some of his actions .. is in some ways has made it easy for some people to be like.. "Is he one of us.."

He shouldnt ballyhoo as they put it.. Obama Tiptoes around the issue of race maybe a lil too much.. I mean ? he his in.. but i think eventually the ends will justify the means.... They already are tryin to obstruct and marginalize the president.. I mean the things he is try to do will help the black population.. is there more for him to do.. of course.. but at tthe same time he has to be able to concentrate on the whole first.

One another note.. i know im all over the place.. i think it is good for black people to hear two people who ultimately want the same thing argue patiently.. Calling each other out and keeping it. Civil
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    What the ? is a "bally-hoo?"
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I guess I'm missing out on what you want or what Tavis wants Obama to do. Much of the money in the Stimulus package went to hiring teachers or keeping teachers in school districts that would have cut them. Many of those teachers work in Black schools. It also went to support local and often inner city programs that each state submitted budgets for. The stimulus package is not TARP money (the bank money).
    OK
    The Jobs bill that the President will probably sign today or tomorrow should have a signficant impact on minority hiring. This money is going to construction and labor jobs for roads and infrastructure....jobs that have a heavy minority impact.
    SHould have and WILL have are different things. I'm talking more about implementation not intent.
    Sharpton's point was that Obama can do for Blacks without trumpeting for the world to hear that he's doing for Blacks. When the Attorney General stated that the feds were not going to ? down on 'medical' marijuna sellers, that signaled that the government was not going to devote its resources tracking down weed sellers unless it was an extreme case. When the Attorney General sent sentencing guidelines for review, who was that to benefit? Look at the ratio of blacks in prison and tell me who that was for.
    LOL @ review. THat's government talk for "lets throw them a bone and then not do ? about it in the end."

Look at his decision on Sean Bell a high profile case. Way to go AG. Way to let the woprld know a black life DOESNT mean as much as a white life in America. Thanks for letting pigs know the federal government will do nothing if you murder a black male in cold blood. Please dont trumpet the so-called "Achievements" of the AG & Obama on race because I'm not fooled by symbolic & empty gestures.
    Obama can't give every family a job...that's not his role and given the prospect of where the economy was at when he came into office, that's an impossibility. What he can do is provide an environment so that people start hiring (part of the new tax incentive in the jobs bill) and that people get a good education (another major push of his). Beyond that, I'm not sure if what Tavis wants is even reasonable.
    THat's the exact sentiment I'm talking about. When it's white people complaining about the economy nobody turns to them and says, "It's not his role..." but when blacks do so, "well Obama is not the savior! It's not his role."

White people are greeted with what the president CAN DO for them. Blacks on the other hand are greeted with excuses about why he CAN NOT do.

Tavis may be hating on Obama but hating dont make you wrong. Im not dying to see Obama in an afro and dashiki but he strokes white people and seemingly ignores blacks for the most part. Action is what I'm talking about. All that, "it's enough for black youth to see a black man can achieve...blah blah blah" is for the birds.
  • c_gutta1
    c_gutta1 Members Posts: 87
    edited February 2010
    Options
    @Darc - Specifically, wat can Obama do for blacks in America?
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    c_gutta1 wrote: »
    @Darc - Specifically, wat should Obama do for blacks in America?

Go to the "What Would A Black Agenda Look Like" thread I addressed it there.

But basically the same thing he has no problem doing for whites that are specifically tuned to their needs. He can start by paying attention and stop reducing black concerns to "turn the TV off and black men stepping up" as if that is the root cause of racism in this country.

But if your question is just a setup for you to defend him ad nosium because he's 1st Black President/Black Savior then please dont waste my time.
  • phanatron
    edited February 2010
    Options
    OK

SHould have and WILL have are different things. I'm talking more about implementation not intent.

LOL @ review. THat's government talk for "lets throw them a bone and then not do ? about it in the end."

Look at his decision on Sean Bell a high profile case. Way to go AG. Way to let the woprld know a black life DOESNT mean as much as a white life in America. Thanks for letting pigs know the federal government will do nothing if you murder a black male in cold blood. Please dont trumpet the so-called "Achievements" of the AG & Obama on race because I'm not fooled by symbolic & empty gestures.

THat's the exact sentiment I'm talking about. When it's white people complaining about the economy nobody turns to them and says, "It's not his role..." but when blacks do so, "well Obama is not the savior! It's not his role."

White people are greeted with what the president CAN DO for them. Blacks on the other hand are greeted with excuses about why he CAN NOT do.

Tavis may be hating on Obama but hating dont make you wrong. Im not dying to see Obama in an afro and dashiki but he strokes white people and seemingly ignores blacks for the most part. Action is what I'm talking about. All that, "it's enough for black youth to see a black man can achieve...blah blah blah" is for the birds.

The Attorney General must submit the sentencing guidelines to a review board before a recommendation is made to change the sentencing guidelines. This is the first step that has to be taken in order change the disparity in sentencing for federal crimes.

To your point about the president's role. Many white people, in particular Republicans, want the president and the government to do less. Almost all complaints of the government doing too much and becoming inefficient in what they do. The bank bailout was not at the bequest of Republicans or popular amongst many whites.

With regards to what Obama can do for blacks, he can ensure that in our inner cities, that our drop out rate isn't at 50%. There is no quick fix to improving the Black plight. We must have generations of highly educated blacks on a large scale in order to transform who we are and our role in society.

Health care is another issue in which blacks stand to gain the most from health care reform. Because blacks are one of the largest groups that are uninsured, this issue is a black issue. He's not 'the' black president, he is 'a' black president. He is sensative to issues that affect black people without focusing on the fact that blacks are the ones to stand to gain the most.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The Attorney General must submit the sentencing guidelines to a review board before a recommendation is made to change the sentencing guidelines. This is the first step that has to be taken in order change the disparity in sentencing for federal crimes.
    OK
    To your point about the president's role. Many white people, in particular Republicans, want the president and the government to do less. Almost all complaints of the government doing too much and becoming inefficient in what they do. The bank bailout was not at the bequest of Republicans or popular amongst many whites.
    G.W. Bush (REPUBLICAN) passed the bailout for rich white people/mega corporations. It passed the Senate 75-25 so it had plenty of Republican support.

As for the GOP complaining about Government they have historically been the most pro-government in their actions but anti-government in their words. Defieciets skyrocket under republican presidents and are either lowered or eliminated (Clinton) under Democratic presidents. Im talking actions not talking points. If we go by talking points then the GOP is perfect.
    With regards to what Obama can do for blacks, he can ensure that in our inner cities, that our drop out rate isn't at 50%. There is no quick fix to improving the Black plight. We must have generations of highly educated blacks on a large scale in order to transform who we are and our role in society.
    I agree.
    Health care is another issue in which blacks stand to gain the most from health care reform. Because blacks are one of the largest groups that are uninsured, this issue is a black issue. He's not 'the' black president, he is 'a' black president. He is sensative to issues that affect black people without focusing on the fact that blacks are the ones to stand to gain the most.
    There you go again. Why is it that when whites ask him about something or when he met with the Hispanic Caucus you didnt hear anybody say, "? why is he meeting with the Hispanics about their issues? What do they want from him!?" But when black issues arise the eyes start rolling and we get the "he's the President of ALL Americans not just blacks" (translation: shut up nigg.er and stop whining nobody cares what you think sit down and shut up and be happy you're free).

Why do you feel blacks need to be reminded he is the President of ALL Americans? Do you think black people are confused? Do you not notice the hypocrisy in that other groups can address the president and not be meet with that condescending comment in that condescending tone?
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Why do you feel blacks need to be reminded he is the President of ALL Americans? Do you think black people are confused? Do you not notice the hypocrisy in that other groups can address the president and not be meet with that condescending comment in that condescending tone?

Thats the cross we have to bare.. unfortunately.. We have alot of boat riders and not enough boat rockers.. its a shame when people hate on people like AL or Jesse.. they are not perfect and have made mistakes but ill be damned if they havent done a great deal.. for Black people.. adn on a much larger scale AMERICA period
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options

man we already got enough black americans with degrees and money, and we got many more on the way. THE PROBLEM IS THEY DO NOT CONTROL MASS EMPLOYMENT FOR THEIR OWN PEOPLE. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH EDUCATION, but we been rackin' them thangs up since the mid seventies & in the same time frame we got the same problems. black Americans are the only people in the U.S. that think degrees is freedom. u got to control industries too man. THAT'S REAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Tavis likes to think he's a force of nature in the "black community" or something, an elder statesmen of some sort

in reality, he's just a ? wit a NPR show and Gucci Mane has more influence
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Tavis likes to think he's a force of nature in the "black community" of something

lol, Gucci Mane has more influence over blacks

Black youth maybe.. and thats not L-o-L its sad..
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    @music I dont think there are near enough educated black Americans. Plenty yes but not near enough. BUt I agree with the part about us controlling more industries but thats partly because there are less industries to control in the US.
  • phanatron
    edited February 2010
    Options
    OK

G.W. Bush (REPUBLICAN) passed the bailout for rich white people/mega corporations. It passed the Senate 75-25 so it had plenty of Republican support.

As for the GOP complaining about Government they have historically been the most pro-government in their actions but anti-government in their words. Defieciets skyrocket under republican presidents and are either lowered or eliminated (Clinton) under Democratic presidents. Im talking actions not talking points. If we go by talking points then the GOP is perfect.

I agree.

There you go again. Why is it that when whites ask him about something or when he met with the Hispanic Caucus you didnt hear anybody say, "? why is he meeting with the Hispanics about their issues? What do they want from him!?" But when black issues arise the eyes start rolling and we get the "he's the President of ALL Americans not just blacks" (translation: shut up nigg.er and stop whining nobody cares what you think sit down and shut up and be happy you're free).

I think, at least from my perspective, Obama is addressing black issues. I'm not saying, nor was Sharpton, that Obama shouldn't do for black people. What I am saying is that he is doing for black people without going out and saying 'oh look, this is for black people'. Just like he's doing for Hispanics without going and shouting it out on the mountain tops. One of the ways he's doing it directly is by directing the Attorney General to lower the priority of raiding 'illegal' work areas where many day laborers (who are Hispanic) gather.

Thirdly, on the bailout. This was not for rich white people. This was for the United States as Super Power and probably more important than any war that we've engaged in in the last 60 years. I don't want to go into the details of this because of the complexities involved. I helped a friend of mind write is dissertation on this subject , so I'm really comfortable discussing the topic. The sad part about 'the bailout' is that most people don't understand what happened, why it happened, and what the result would have been had nothing happened.

In regards to Republican support, when the first bill went to the House for the bailout, Republicans voted in mass against it. The first bill failed and the Dow dropped 200 points in the last hour of trading for the day and then an additional 700 points the next day. A superpower is a superpower because of its economic might and it collapses when its economy collapses (see Russia, Britian, Rome..etc). Each 100 points on the Dow represents $1 trillion loss. Do the math. This is what caused the bailout bill to pass. To this day, Republicans/whites hate the bailout and it is the source of the motivation for the Tea Parties.
  • phanatron
    edited February 2010
    Options
    man we already got enough black americans with degrees and money, and we got many more on the way. THE PROBLEM IS THEY DO NOT CONTROL MASS EMPLOYMENT FOR THEIR OWN PEOPLE. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH EDUCATION, but we been rackin' them thangs up since the mid seventies & in the same time frame we got the same problems. black Americans are the only people in the U.S. that think degrees is freedom. u got to control industries too man. THAT'S REAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

First off, we don't have enough black Americans in college. I am in Law school right now, and I can tell you right now, the amount of African Americans represented is extremely low. In fact, there are are 10x as many Jews in my law school than there are African Americans. I graduate in May and in my graduating class, there are 3 African Americans graduating out of of a class of almost 200.

Second, we don't have enough blacks graduating high school. Look at the numbers. If you think people are going to open their own business that can hire in mass without having a quality education, think again.
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First off, we don't have enough black Americans in college. I am in Law school right now, and I can tell you right now, the amount of African Americans represented is extremely low. In fact, there are are 10x as many Jews in my law school than there are African Americans. I graduate in May and in my graduating class, there are 3 African Americans graduating out of of a class of almost 200.

Second, we don't have enough blacks graduating high school. Look at the numbers. If you think people are going to open their own business that can hire in mass without having a quality education, think again.

Yup.. as i say it start at home