[NEW INTERVIEW] Elzhi - Elmatic (2011)

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    you know what ? it

im gonna listen to this dudes ? . and it better be fire!!... im downloading his ? ..putting it on my BB and i will listen to it at work, where it will ? me off even worse if its not good. i will not skip past any tracks, which makes it really bad if its not good. after that .. then i will listen to this blasphemous mixtape

killacham ... youre a coward for not directly quoting me .. sending subliminals and ? smh

i like how no one could respond directly to my post tho LOL i sense some of you are in denial because i pointed out some interesting facts

you young men in here are going thru golden era withdrawl and will support anything thats even half good yet not commercial that comes out

man ... elzhi's lucky that i respect the posters in here

this ? is now under review ....

matter of fact .. nah .. im gonna listen to his elmatic ... and i will stack it up right against illmatic. im gonna put illmatic and elmatic in my bb and they will go head to head. to be fair .. he must atleast meet 75% of the success (lyrically) of illmatic. otherwise im striking his existence into the depths of hip hop hell. he already lost some points just because killacham likes him. nikki minaj, chamillionaire, camron, and elzhi?? what da hell kinda line up is that??

this actrocity just may leave a permanent scar on the essence as subforum of this board ..... **begins review**

This whole post is genius, you should post here more often hahaha

I think you're doing the right thing in listening to Elmatic if you're going to be open minded about the lyrics... keep in mind that this is a free release, not an album, therefore stacking the hip hop classic that is Illmatic against Elmatic is kinda unfair considering the majority of hip hop albums aren't even 50% as good (lyrically and generally) as Illmatic. But I'm happy that you won't skip any tracks, this mixtape is that nice.

But I like that you bring us up as being stuck in the golden era of hip hop, it's untrue in many ways because I think a lot of artists in the underground are pushing boundaries with their albums, the concepts that they're coming with are modern and brilliant. The only reason I'll partly agree with you is because we respect hip hop and therefore stay true to its foundations. Therefore, whilst we're not stuck there, we are hoping for glimpses of a future where greatness is apparent. I think a lot of Indie albums show this... which is why we're so protective of underground hip hop at times.

Much respect for checking it out though :tu
    CMac wrote: »
    It was a great Mixtape, I wasn't mad he was rapping over Nas's Illmatic beats cuz Elzhi is a great underground rapper. It would have been whack if he was a avg or above avg rapper but he's far better then that. I liked every track on the Mixtape, I played that ? from start to finish with no skipping tracks.

They flipped the beats though, which I thought helped the mixtape (a lot) considering you could just be lazy and rhyme over them, but to use live instrumentation goes a long way.

Most definitely an above par emcee though, it's great to hear a mixtape of this quality too.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    you know what ? it

im gonna listen to this dudes ? . and it better be fire!!... im downloading his ? ..putting it on my BB and i will listen to it at work, where it will ? me off even worse if its not good. i will not skip past any tracks, which makes it really bad if its not good. after that .. then i will listen to this blasphemous mixtape

killacham ... youre a coward for not directly quoting me .. sending subliminals and ? smh

i like how no one could respond directly to my post tho LOL i sense some of you are in denial because i pointed out some interesting facts

you young men in here are going thru golden era withdrawl and will support anything thats even half good yet not commercial that comes out

man ... elzhi's lucky that i respect the posters in here

this ? is now under review ....

matter of fact .. nah .. im gonna listen to his elmatic ... and i will stack it up right against illmatic. im gonna put illmatic and elmatic in my bb and they will go head to head. to be fair .. he must atleast meet 75% of the success (lyrically) of illmatic. otherwise im striking his existence into the depths of hip hop hell. he already lost some points just because killacham likes him. nikki minaj, chamillionaire, camron, and elzhi?? what da hell kinda line up is that??

this actrocity just may leave a permanent scar on the essence as subforum of this board ..... **begins review**

You didn't even listen to it yet???

Dude it's free, its not like this mixtape is 9.99
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's ? compared to Illmatic. I tried listening to it, but I just can't. Elzhi is an ill lyricist and all, but he doesn't match up well against Nas.

Dudes need to leave the classics alone, and stop trying to redo or pay tribute to everything.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's ? compared to Illmatic.

LOL why the comparison?

He never tried to outdo or even make a better record

Its just a tribute piece ass a fan of the album, nothing more nothing less
  • traestar
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL why the comparison?

Chill rip.dilla, let em see for themselves

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/05/10/elzhi-%E2%80%93-elmatic-mixtape/
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's ? compared to Illmatic. I tried listening to it, but I just can't. Elzhi is an ill lyricist and all, but he doesn't match up well against Nas.

Dudes need to leave the classics alone, and stop trying to redo or pay tribute to everything.

well well well

maybe i shouldnt poison myself with this
  • UPTOWN
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL why the comparison?

no ? LOL

this ? went in on ILLMATIC .... he will be held to illmatics standards

see this is what happens when you dont pay your dues. ive never even heard dude before and now he has illmatic as his measuring stick

message to elzhi

GOOD LUCK CHAMP ... now ur in the ring with mike tyson circa 1988

** proceeds to trae's link for D/L **
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    well well well

maybe i shouldnt poison myself with this

lol @ poison, just enjoy the listen, it's a great tribute and a great mixtape and it's free.
    no ? LOL

this ? went in on ILLMATIC .... he will be held to illmatics standards

see this is what happens when you dont pay your dues. ive never even heard dude before and now he has illmatic as his measuring stick

message to elzhi

GOOD LUCK CHAMP ... now ur in the ring with mike tyson circa 1988

** proceeds to trae's link for D/L **

You can hold him to ridiculous standards and if you're expecting Illmatic 2 you can stop listening now.

It's a tribute mixtape and it's a damn good one at that. Very listenable and a great tribute overall. Not one track made me skip and I thought it was a very worthwhile listen that I'm going back to...
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    ***waits for the Uptown review***

Why not listen to it yourself, seeing as it's free?
  • traestar
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Listen, I'm not trying to be bias or anything, but thats why we don't try
    to post underground material on the Reason itself. Too many people have
    something to say about an artist and either never heard of them or didn't even
    attempt to listen to their music!! Keep it mind, the Elzhi's, the Blu's, the Common's
    in the world and far many more, the reason we don't allow just any artist to post on
    here and ADVERTIZE, we share music from artists that are established or are in the
    process of being established as a MC. That means they DON'T have to advertise on
    websites, fb/myspace pages just to get their music heard. They know the different
    vendors and vehicles, and not to say they don't advertise on these pages but basically
    their fanbase goes to them for music. Thats when you know you're on the right track, and
    thats not to say that each and everyone of them didn't go through their own struggle.
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    Listen, I'm not trying to be bias or anything, but thats why we don't try
    to post underground material on the Reason itself. Too many people have
    something to say about an artist and either never heard of them or didn't even
    attempt to listen to their music!! Keep it mind, the Elzhi's, the Blu's, the Common's
    in the world and far many more, the reason we don't allow just any artist to post on
    here and ADVERTIZE, we share music from artists that are established or are in the
    process of being established as a MC. That means they DON'T have to advertise on
    websites, fb/myspace pages just to get their music heard. They know the different
    vendors and vehicles, and not to say they don't advertise on these pages but basically
    their fanbase goes to them for music. Thats when you know you're on the right track, and
    thats not to say that each and everyone of them didn't go through their own struggle.

Preach! I'm glad The Essence is appreciated, we brought it a long way following the upgrade, we're not quite to what I got it to before the upgrade with the other posters pre-upgrade, but we're not too far away anymore, which is great :tu
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Good looking on the info about this mixture. I picked it up and so far Elzi has done the cover of Illmatic justice. I also appreciate the Essence because you guys are always dropping info on a lot of good artist that don't get shine on the reason. I ? with a lot of the cats you guys talk about so much props
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i been listening to this alot more than expected, personal fav song One Love or It Aint hard to tell. his versions are amazing!
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    i been listening to this alot more than expected, personal fav song One Love or It Aint hard to tell. his versions are amazing!

You're just in time
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

Good looking man, I cant watch it now, im at work, but will when i get home...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Good looking on the info about this mixture. I picked it up and so far Elzi has done the cover of Illmatic justice. I also appreciate the Essence because you guys are always dropping info on a lot of good artist that don't get shine on the reason. I ? with a lot of the cats you guys talk about so much props

Props, good to see you posting :tu

I'm in agreement with yourself and stupot, definitely a nice release as I've previously stated and 'It Ain't Hard To Tell' is definitely my favourite track on there...
    Elzhi wrote:
    Robberies and liquor stores,
    Tricks and ? ,
    Reality was sick as yours, so
    I blow trees stronger than sycamores

Great video, easily my favourite track from the release, glad it seems to have been a big success for him too.
  • UPTOWN
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    ***waits for the Uptown review***

now its been 3 weeks

review on its way

will be typed up this evening
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    now its been 3 weeks

review on its way

will be typed up this evening

Anticipating this like I anticipate an album haha
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Anticipating this like I anticipate an album haha

lol......................
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Finally listend to it....i for one HATE tribute albums/song but my boy elzhi did his thing. Obviously its not gonna be close to the quality of illmatic but it wasnt posed to be. Very solid mixtape.

And to ppl on here who say elzhi hadn't earned his stripes i can tell yall dont really mess with the underground like that. Slum Village anyone? But none the less i would highly recommend elxhi to anyone his lyrics are some of the best i ever heard and i listen to everyone.
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Finally listend to it....i for one HATE tribute albums/song but my boy elzhi did his thing. Obviously its not gonna be close to the quality of illmatic but it wasnt posed to be. Very solid mixtape.

And to ppl on here who say elzhi hadn't earned his stripes i can tell yall dont really mess with the underground like that. Slum Village anyone? But none the less i would highly recommend elxhi to anyone his lyrics are some of the best i ever heard and i listen to everyone.

Glad you've at least enjoyed it!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Glad you've at least enjoyed it!!

Yeah definitely, props on the listen Renegade, good to see you stopping by :tu
  • SPRVLN1
    SPRVLN1 Members Posts: 16
    edited June 2011
    Options
    just got this, dude can spit, found about him thru white van music by jake one.. the tribute album type ? is hard to pull off but he did his thing, i ? w it
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Mixtape of the year imo....
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Mixtape of the year imo....

Thus far, I think it tops Fashawn's which was my favourite before this one.

Hoping we get a Jay Electronica mixtape at least this year... that'll likely be up there if we get one along with whatever else drops in the next 6 months.