What makes an album a "classic"?

Options
You Mad
You Mad Members Posts: 234
edited March 2010 in The Reason
For me it's all about innovation. That's why a lot of artists first albums are considered "classic" because it was new and refreshing. If an album isn't original then it can't be a classic for me.

Discuss.

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Basically, individual songs on an album + album as a whole

Really, i'm just making this up off top but:
    - No song on the album rated lower than 3/5
    - Album as a whole 4.5 or 5/5
    - High replay value
    - Album that you can still feel 5+ years later
  • redranger1
    redranger1 Members Posts: 59
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Replay Value & No Fillers
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think the biggest true definition of a classic is how much it is appreciated over time. It could be 20-40 years and fans will still love that album along with new fans too. Hip hop isn't of age for that yet, but as time goes by, we will all see what the real classics are. For example, The White Album is still loved by fans and new ones after all this time. Thats the ultimate compliment for music, when it can stand the test of time. Lets be real, there will be a whole lot of albums that will be completely forgotten in 20 years. Maybe its one of the mainstay classics that we all know, or maybe its a top 10 album from now, we wont know till then. Like I said, give every album time, and that will filter out the true classics from the junk.
  • You Mad
    You Mad Members Posts: 234
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think that kind of goes hand-in-hand with innovation too. Many times what gets remembered is what set precedent for the albums to come.
  • jonoaries
    jonoaries Members Posts: 183
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Replay Value and time make classics. If it came out in 98 and ? still sayin its hot in 2010 it can be discussed in the realm of classics.
    TIME MAKES CLASSICS
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Impact
    Substance
    replay

this r the things that make an album a Classic
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    redranger1 wrote: »
    Replay Value & No Fillers

Thats bs. Every single album thats ever been put out has a couple filler songs on it. No cd has all the songs that are 5/5
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    One of the major prerequisites for me is timeless material. It HAS to stand the test of time. If an album came out in 1994 and still sounds just as hot now, as it did 16 years ago, it's in contention for a classic.

That's why I could never understand how people can call albums like Untitled a classic, and it hasn't even been out that long.

It needs a time frame to age appropriately.
  • Stew
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    One of the major prerequisites for me is timeless material. It HAS to stand the test of time. If an album came out in 1994 and still sounds just as hot now, as it did 16 years ago, it's in contention for a classic.

That's why I could never understand how people can call albums like Untitled a classic, and it hasn't even been out that long.

It needs a time frame to age appropriately.

Yea I dont do that instant classic ? but it will be a contender 10 years from now much more then others.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Music that sounds original and fresh every time YOU listen. Mostly, a classic depends on what the Individual think.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I c/s most of the comments but the best aspect to a classic album is replay value, some albums be nice, but will they be bumped 5-10 years from now?? Only classic be getting bumped years after they dropped.
  • AlexThreeKsKeller
    AlexThreeKsKeller Members Posts: 9
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Originality, creativity, complexity, and a constant theme.
  • Yungin T. Jeezie
    Yungin T. Jeezie Members Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    rap about coke
  • redranger1
    redranger1 Members Posts: 59
    edited February 2010
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Thats bs. Every single album thats ever been put out has a couple filler songs on it. No cd has all the songs that are 5/5

Illmatic
    WACKA!
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Only one thing makes a "Classic" a "CLASSIC" and that's "TIME". "ILLmatic" is 15 years old, they still bump till this day. Both Biggie's albums are still on rotoation 13 and 15 years later. The last 3 albums of Pac's life stay on rotation. "Chronic and "? " are 17 and 18 year's old, and they still bump till this day. These are Classics. Rakim's first two albums. N.W.A.'s debut. Public Enemy, LL Cool J and Run DMC's earlier albums. Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster flash and the furious five. Beastie Boys first album. Get it, TIMELESS. Only time can certify a CLASSIC.
  • rusty shackleford
    rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You Mad wrote: »
    What makes an album a "classic"?.
    being that a "classic" is merely a matter of opinion.. an album that reaches "classic" status in my mind is one i can listen to all the way through without skipping past any one of it's songs..

my personal list of classic albums include, dead prez, "Lets Get Free" - KRS One's "Sneak Attack" - The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Ready To Die" - & Pearl Jam's first album "Ten"
  • TRiLL SMiTH
    TRiLL SMiTH Members Posts: 75
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Standing the test of TIME...TIMELESS MUSIC BUNCHED ONTO 1 ALBUM SHOULD DEEM THE ALBUM CLASSIC..therefore ppl who say this new album is classic should be shot...Ohh and one more thing..ARTIST WITH CLASSIC ALBUMS DO NOT YELL TO THE MASSES THAT THE ALBUM IS CLASSIC...IT SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING UNLESS PROVOKED..AND IT BEING THE TRUTH!
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    Basically, individual songs on an album + album as a whole

Really, i'm just making this up off top but:
    - No song on the album rated lower than 3/5
    - Album as a whole 4.5 or 5/5
    - High replay value
    - Album that you can still feel 5+ years later
    ^^^
    this, but ion give no ? but the impact it has on others...just me...

also all tha songs can be good but the album has to come together just right, cause i can make a mix cd of 5/5 songs and it could sound terrible all together cause they dont fit right on da same cd..

it must be cohesive imo..
  • Stew
    edited February 2010
    Options
    redranger1 wrote: »
    Illmatic
    WACKA!

I love Illmatic just like the next ? but every song on it is not 5/5
  • AntonLATroy
    AntonLATroy Members Posts: 331
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Only one thing makes a "Classic" a "CLASSIC" and that's "TIME". "ILLmatic" is 15 years old, they still bump till this day. Both Biggie's albums are still on rotoation 13 and 15 years later. The last 3 albums of Pac's life stay on rotation. "Chronic and "? " are 17 and 18 year's old, and they still bump till this day. These are Classics. Rakim's first two albums. N.W.A.'s debut. Public Enemy, LL Cool J and Run DMC's earlier albums. Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster flash and the furious five. Beastie Boys first album. Get it, TIMELESS. Only time can certify a CLASSIC.

I give up I will have better luck finding threads you did not talk about Biggie in lol
  • churchboy2
    churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
    edited March 2010
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    I love Illmatic just like the next ? but every song on it is not 5/5

^^^this right here is the truth dot com

A classic is an album with no skippable tracks years after it's release.

Grown Folks Talkin': There is no such thing as an instant classic!