Internet=Being attracted to their personality first Bar=Looks first

Options
American.Loo
American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
would you agree or disagree?

and which would you say is better, if either?

Comments

• da champ
    da champ Members Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2011
    Options
    eh, even if it's a dating site, i think folks are checking those pictures out first.
  • American.Loo
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i wasnt really thinking about dating sites. but yeah thats true.

i was thinking about like messageboards and twitter.

i know for sure there is one person on this site who's personality i have been drawn to
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    da champ wrote: »
    eh, even if it's a dating site, i think folks are checking those pictures out first.

Me too.......
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I gotta see what they look like... you can't ? a personality.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

i know for sure there is one person on this site who's personality i have been drawn to

You dont know what she looks like?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    neither is better because both personality and looks have to work together...one w/o the other is pointless
  • American.Loo
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You dont know what she looks like?

no i dont think i do.

and thats new for me because i am very into appearances.
  • Little JJ
    Little JJ Members Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah this is partially true, why do you think so many people do internet dating nowdays....
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    neither is better because both personality and looks have to work together...one w/o the other is pointless

I get that but it is interesting.
    It adds a different element of "intrigue" I would say. And to be on the receiving end is that much more interesting. Usually a person is initially noticed for their exterior so to just be taken for your words is the opposite of meeting someone you are physically drawn to. I wouldn't say either is ideal but you can meet 100 good looking people and not be attracted to any of their personalities. To have your attention caught by personality and their way of thinking alone is sort of working backwards yet forward in a sense and you get to feel the person before you even see them.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yea...i agree with that. I mean idk about dating sites and ? cause i've never been on em. But u definitely get drawn in by a person's personality more than anything when online. To the point where sometimes after u see their pic- they might not be ur type but ur still like fuggit...cause ur just that attracted to their personality.

Thats totally diff than in face to face mtgs etc lol i dunno if it's better or worse. I mean the concept is better but i've never tested it out to see if those type of connections actually work
  • American.Loo
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I've never "internet dated" in the e-Harmony sense, but I can see how it could rival the club scene.

i mean, whats a dating membership cost, like $50? thats still cheaper than a night on the prowl, plus you know everyone on that site is interested in at least meeting someone.

i have a buddy that internet dates and some of the women he's shown me are very attractive. they are just women who are busy and dont like the bar/club scene
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I agree, but even on the internet I've been inclined to see pics before carrying on too far. Nothing worse than connecting with someone only to find out they look like Shrek.

My bf and I really spent a lot of time corresponding through email before we even went on our first date which was really nice. Sometimes its good to remove the physical temptations in order to truly connect with someone.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited May 2011
    Options
    kat2180 wrote: »
    I agree, but even on the internet I've been inclined to see pics before carrying on too far. Nothing worse than connecting with someone only to find out they look like Shrek.

My bf and I really spent a lot of time corresponding through email before we even went on our first date which was really nice. Sometimes its good to remove the physical temptations in order to truly connect with someone.

That's interesting...sounds nice actually.
  • American.Loo
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i mean, the way people meet is changing, bottom line.

so its very possible to build a connection, personality first.

and maybe that is more important because time changes your looks moreso than your personality, no?
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yea...i agree with that. I mean idk about dating sites and ? cause i've never been on em. But u definitely get drawn in by a person's personality more than anything when online. To the point where sometimes after u see their pic- they might not be ur type but ur still like fuggit...cause ur just that attracted to their personality.

Thats totally diff than in face to face mtgs etc lol i dunno if it's better or worse. I mean the concept is better but i've never tested it out to see if those type of connections actually work

That's the appealing part. I think it's a different feeling when you're stuck on who the person is rather than what they look like. And it's not even about lack of physical attractiveness (which is yet to be determined), it's just nice to have developed something of that nature and also still have that element of curiosity as to what this person of mental/character appeal looks like.
    Meeting a person on the "street" is something I've always felt is more "natural" but usually you first like how they look and are left wondering if you will continue liking the rest of them.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i mean, the way people meet is changing, bottom line.

so its very possible to build a connection, personality first.

and maybe that is more important because time changes your looks moreso than your personality, no?

I mean I'm not as looks obsessed as I was when I was younger anyway cause its like...ur priorities change as u get older. Someone could be the most beautiful person ever yet keep a horrible house, have no job, and have the worst personality ever in life. I def go more for a connection w/personality now cause i aint tryna chill wit a boring ass person. His looks would keep my attention for a few weeks but after that its like :-/
  • American.Loo
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blazini wrote: »
    ? ? eat honey

winnie the pooh is a real dude.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Not a pretty ? and not even my mom thinks I'm handsome.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

yeah I have to concede to what has been transpiring before my own eyes

wire-middle-ground-stringer-bell_article_story_main.jpg

I been losing marley one post at a time

it still burns tho
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm talking to someone I met on the forums and its actually nice to chop it up with them and get to now their personality. still a possibility they might be crazy so u never know.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Not a pretty ? and not even my mom thinks I'm handsome.

*hugs* get money yo...
  • American.Loo
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yeah I have to concede to what has been transpiring before my own eyes

wire-middle-ground-stringer-bell_article_story_main.jpg

I been losing marley one post at a time

it still burns tho

Marley hasnt shown Loo any attention in a minute bruh.

She's hot and cold witcha boy.
  • da champ
    da champ Members Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Marley hasnt shown Loo any attention in a minute bruh.

She's hot and cold witcha boy.

Am I missing something here? Or is it you?