Are Southern artists geniuses or the biggest sellouts ever ???

Options
freshb651
freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in The Reason
I was thinkin' about what Wacka Flocka said about lyrical rappers havin' no money,so do you think South artists are smart for gettin' money or sellouts for selling the artform short ?? When's the last time you heard about a broke southern MC (no Jermaine Dupri).

Comments

• You Mad
    You Mad Members Posts: 234
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sellouts. Wait... yep, sellouts.
  • the_omniscient
    the_omniscient Members Posts: 245
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Neither really, but if I had to choose one I'd choose geniuses. The hip hop consumer wants catchy hooks, catchy lyrics, hot beats and something they can dance to. Also, record labels are more selective about who they push and how hard nowadays, and they figure catchy music will make them the most money. A lot of southern artists make that type of music, so they sell.

Waka Flocka needs to be careful though. The artists aren't the ones beefing with each other. It's the fans who don't like non-lyricisits that are the ones hating. Plus just about every rapper is making a decent living. Instead of talking down on other rappers Waka Flocka needs to do him and let others do them.
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Neither really, but if I had to choose one I'd choose geniuses. The hip hop consumer wants catchy hooks, catchy lyrics, hot beats and something they can dance to. Also, record labels are more selective about who they push and how hard nowadays, and they figure catchy music will make them the most money. A lot of southern artists make that type of music, so they sell.

Waka Flocka needs to be careful though. The artists aren't the ones beefing with each other. It's the fans who don't like non-lyricisits that are the ones hating. Plus just about every rapper is making a decent living. Instead of talking down on other rappers Waka Flocka needs to do him and let others do them.

real talk ^^^^ idk how a ? like waka can even feel the need to diss the ? that paved the way for his ? to make a living off of
  • aswadh
    aswadh Members Posts: 411
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Back in the day you had acts like these n*ggas that dropped "Whoomp there it is". That sh*t served it's purpose and wasn't getting mixed in with real hip hop. The lines were clear. Since the mid nineties these wack n*ggas get mixed in with real emcees. Another thing is the emergence of the internet. Sh*t that used to stay regional gets heard nationwide and even worldwide. That's why we having all the ringtone rappers. The lines blurred...
  • rusty shackleford
    rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    I was thinkin' about what Wacka Flocka said about lyrical rappers havin' no money...
    you mean sell outs like all the people who sell ? to their own people subsequently destroying their own communities?

funny how it's all about gettin' money till southern artists do it.. then it's all the sudden a sell out.. thats ? made way of thinking.. i noticed no mention of busted rhymes doing mountian due commercials at the height of his popularity like a true sellout.. figures..
  • aswadh
    aswadh Members Posts: 411
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you mean sell outs like all the people who sell ? to their own people subsequently destroying their own communities?

funny how it's all about gettin' money till southern artists do it.. then it's all the sudden a sell out.. thats ? made way of thinking.. i noticed no mention of busted rhymes doing mountian due commercials at the height of his popularity like a true sellout.. figures..
    Every rapper that's mainstream does rap for the money. The difference between rappers from the so called golden era and these new one hit wonders from the south is these new n*ggas flat out admit to being wack and only rapping for the money and it's evidenced in their music. I'm not a rapper nor do I aspire to be one but it's not a good look when I could outrap 99% of these wack n*ggas.

It's no coincidence these wack n*ggas don't have longevity while an act like the Wu can still tour worldwide when it's been like 17 years since they first dropped.

WTF did a n*gga selling ? have to do with this BTW?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options

I always gave Texas a exception to southern music. When I use to stay in Austin, I got into z-ro, trae, flip, h.a.w.k., fat pat, etc. Texas created they own style of hip hop and slang, and they music is better than the ? from gaytl, miami, and n.o.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    These ringtone rappers dont even last.... Common and Lupe get more shows over seas and make international money and longevity.... Ringtone rappers dont last and make money for a short time and then lie to ppl about the money they make and have NO loyal fanbase to keep them in the industry Flokka aint doin ? ...
  • rusty shackleford
    rusty shackleford Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    aswadh wrote: »
    It's no coincidence these wack n*ggas don't have longevity while an act like the Wu can still tour worldwide when it's been like 17 years since they first dropped.
    but the wu can actually rap & they barely move units anymore..
    WTF did a n*gga selling ? have to do with this BTW?
    i threw that out to help regain perspective for anyone who actually thinks makin' money exclusively in your chosen career falls under the definition of a "sell out.." that's just not true.... it's when you go outside of your chosen profession to [for example] push soda water to an overweight society.. that or puttin' personal gain ahead of other's well being.. defines a sell out to a T.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Southwest Hip Hop (EVERYTHING WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI=Texas, Louisiana) is majority good music & always has been. Dallas is the exception.

Southwest & Southeast is different & will always be.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    They're def not geniuses but they're not sellouts. A lot of them are salty dudes who were pushed down in the 90's by NY rappers and now you get dudes like Wacka lashing out. I don't love all South music but I'd rather listen to upbeat beats than gritty ? almost any day. NY gets love but when they proppin guys up like Maino and Papoose, then I just laugh.
  • Frankizzle
    Frankizzle Members Posts: 70
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Back in the day you had acts like these n*ggas that dropped "Whoomp there it is". That sh*t served it's purpose and wasn't getting mixed in with real hip hop. The lines were clear. Since the mid nineties these wack n*ggas get mixed in with real emcees.

Real talk - back in the day people were free to say stuff was wack, nowadays all these one hit wonders are being taken seriously

A lot of the Southern artists aren't really sellouts because to "sellout" you had to have some artistic credibility to begin with

It's like saying Power Rangers sold out because they're appealing to kids
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i have no problem with music from the south they have a lot of nice rappers. the biggest problem is in the 90 u had wack ? but u had so much good ? it was ok to have a couple of joints like that now its the other way around its mostly wack ? and a very lil good joints.
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It depends what specific artist you're talkin about. Just like any other region, there's too much diversity to label the entire South geniuses or sellouts. And I really don't think there's any clear lines of distinction. It's a matter of opinion. For example, I would say that Andre 3000, Big Boi, Scarface, Bushwick Bill, Willie D, Devin, David Banner, ? C, and Bun B are geniuses. I would say Gucci Mane, Wacka Flocka, Soulja Boy, OJ da Juiceman, Hurricane Chris, Flo-rida, and Plies are sellouts. Unfortunately, the majority of Southern artists currently on the radio and sellin albums are sellouts. But I don't know that I'd consider every wack Southern artist a sellout. Garbage, yes, but a to be a sellout would require some sort of intelligence on how to market and promote yourself in order to profit from bein a sellout. Some of these guys can't even read or speak English, so labeling them a sellout might be givin them too much credit.
  • fabionbackbitch
    fabionbackbitch Members Posts: 720
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I've said countless times that Soulja Boy is the smartest man in hip hop after Hov and Fif. That ? knows his market, panders to said market, and rakes in money hand over fist doing it. any man that hates on that is either broke or a loser. Probably both. The ? gets millions from youtube, YOUTUBE!!!!
  • cuttadc13
    cuttadc13 Members Posts: 1,626 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You cant label all Southern artists sellouts for taking what they've been doin for years and making it work...especially for the new generations. Times change, people's desires change. All regions have their own styles of interpreting the art form of hip hop, nothing is supposed to be the same. But I guess just because the original style of hip hop that came from NY isnt as popular anymore, ? wanna have their panties in a bunch and start ? about other regions success. There are just as many sellouts in other regions as there are in the South, the only difference is how much money and attention they are getting.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    At the end of the day its a business and money is the name of the game. 75% of the rappers I listen to don't sell, so people might say they are failures in that regard. But they are in the argument when people talk about the greatest rappers you ever heard. I think the fans are to blame if you want to point the finger at someone. They create the demand, and some rappers are about the money. So that's the route they take.