What should i teach my students about the creation of Isreal and the current ...

Options
lordhonka2
lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
conflicts in Isreal

I am going to give them as much of the truth as possible with no bias but

even when we just look at the facts i get the same questions

" If they weren't there how can they come back and take the land "
" why does the U.S. Help Isreal"
"If they (the u.n) seperated them why are they still fighting"
"Why cant they just share the land"

to avoid bias i just give them a blank time line and at the end they are asked to come op with possible solutions

this is a 9th grade class

Comments

• TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    google some conspiracy theories and tell em that
    ya know the temple of solomon, khazarian jews etc etc.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You didn't tell them that all Israelis are virtuous and kind people, and that Palestinians are subhuman monsters?

You're about to be hauled in front of the higher-ups for your anti-Semitic teachings my friend.

Seriously, you can't teach this one objectively in American public schools.
  • lordhonka2
    edited May 2011
    Options
    these kids have a clear understanding that this whole situtions is messed up
    and yet it could have been avoided early on
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Tell them an Atheist who supposedly did not believe in the ? of Israel who supposedly promised them a land of their own came up with the idea of a separate state. He was able to convince his religiously inclined brethren that this was a good idea. Even though it violated the prophetic utterances in their books concerning their return.

Tell them once they got there the people who actually usurped the land from the previous inhabitants who were there were told the party is over, and if they don't get out we are throwing you out. They then proceded to use the Malcolm X mantra "By any means necessary", and preceded to put the smack down on crosses and kufis.

Basically, it is like a coup.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Interesting lordhonka, try to keep it basic, give them a brief history lesson about the land( from ancient egyptian/syrian etc rule to the ottomanian and later british/french combo rule, stress that in ancient times and up untill the foundation of israel, it's land has been inhabitated by many different people and culturs long forgotten, that the cannanites spoke langueges nobody in todays world speaks and that arabs and hebrews are just phew of the many many cultures that had influence on the land, u can do this in one powerpoint slide, with the names of the empires etc that lived on the land during which time period, from 5000 BC to 1948). That way you can dodge/dismiss the entire religious aspect of it and I think you will be giving a objective view, cause students interested could study the subject for themselves later on if interested. dont forget to stress how small the land is...if you walk 5 kilometers per hour you can walk to the other side of israel in 20 hours lol. It's half the size of Holland.

the beginning is most crucial though, just like Zouth Africa was founded by dutch apartheid(openly) racist ? 's, I feel u must adress the given that the zionist ideology is based on apartheid as well(like india had a caste system etc) zionist ideology is racist of nature, the first president of israel(david ben gurion) was one of the most discriminatin people on the planet lol.....had ideas of a 'greater' israel including parts of jordan,lebanon and syria....

the origins of the conflict started with the given that the british ? up(like they did all over the world lol), from 1922 to 1947/8 and that allmost a million people lost their homes, that the rejection of the recognition of israel by neighboring countries is not about they hated jews etc, but because 8% of the population was granted 50% of the land by the UN. Its simply about people losing their homes.....get the UN division map(and a map before the UN split the land), the map of 67 and a map of the world anno 2011, make clear that there to this day is not a palestine state.

Tell them that war(this might be a heavy subject) causes extremism, that desparation can cause the most gruesome side of humanity to evolve....war changes everything, your entire world stands still, therfor, in 1987 hamas was founded etc....war destroys everything.
  • lordhonka2
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    Interesting lordhonka, try to keep it basic, give them a brief history lesson about the land( from ancient egyptian/syrian etc rule to the ottomanian and later british/french combo rule, stress that in ancient times and up untill the foundation of israel, it's land has been inhabitated by many different people and culturs long forgotten, that the cannanites spoke langueges nobody in todays world speaks and that arabs and hebrews are just phew of the many many cultures that had influence on the land, u can do this in one powerpoint slide, with the names of the empires etc that lived on the land during which time period, from 5000 BC to 1948). That way you can dodge/dismiss the entire religious aspect of it and I think you will be giving a objective view, cause students interested could study the subject for themselves later on if interested. dont forget to stress how small the land is...if you walk 5 kilometers per hour you can walk to the other side of israel in 20 hours lol. It's half the size of Holland.

the beginning is most crucial though, just like Zouth Africa was founded by dutch apartheid(openly) racist ? 's, I feel u must adress the given that the zionist ideology is based on apartheid as well(like india had a caste system etc) zionist ideology is racist of nature, the first president of israel(david ben gurion) was one of the most discriminatin people on the planet lol.....had ideas of a 'greater' israel including parts of jordan,lebanon and syria....

the origins of the conflict started with the given that the british ? up(like they did all over the world lol), from 1922 to 1947/8 and that allmost a million people lost their homes, that the rejection of the recognition of israel by neighboring countries is not about they hated jews etc, but because 8% of the population was granted 50% of the land by the UN. Its simply about people losing their homes.....get the UN division map(and a map before the UN split the land), the map of 67 and a map of the world anno 2011, make clear that there to this day is not a palestine state.

Tell them that war(this might be a heavy subject) causes extremism, that desparation can cause the most gruesome side of humanity to evolve....war changes everything, your entire world stands still, therfor, in 1987 hamas was founded etc....war destroys everything.

they get the basics
    they understad that its not fair
    the hardest part for them to deal with
    is why no one does anything about it
    and why the u.s supports isreal <---- there is no good objective ans for that
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    they get the basics
    they understad that its not fair
    the hardest part for them to deal with
    is why no one does anything about it
    and why the u.s supports isreal <---- there is no good objective ans for that

My bad, I misunderstood

why does the US support Israel?

For the same reason they have supported mubarak and many of the other rulers countries in the region alone: because if there would be actual free social democracies/replublic with elections etc not one single (north) african and middle eastern government would be pro US....Most of the business(think basic economics from your local tea trader to oil tycoons) would not be favouring the states. A free middle east, a free african continent in general would not benefit the US.....These revolutions have proven that once again...notice how obama is going to give a speech on the uprisings....after just puttin sanctions on syria, a nation it always opposed and considered a roque state worthy for 'regime change' ,the US is afriad for the revolutions, they have supported these oppresive regimes the people are uprising against since day one, now they are losing their allies.

The US supports Israel , just like Morocco supports Mauritania.....and every other country supports another country, for it's own nation(business to education whatever you can think of) for it's own interest.

No one does anything about it? you know thats not true, thousands have died, many are suffering the moment I'm typing this. It's chaos, the lands/region have known war. Maybe the people outside the regions wonder why their government aint doing ? ? why the UN lets France take over the Ivory Coast? It's because all countries serve their own interest and there is no such thing as international law in this world, there is no such thing as 'united nations' being objective(for example see how France used the un to ? up the IC) how much people want to believe that is international law and justice, that we truelly have 'independent organs/instituations that oversee the world(from the IMF to the UN)' etc thats all a bunch of ? . These instruments are only abused.....why can the UN swiftly enter the Congo? Libya? the Ivory Coast? because Belgium/UK/Qatar/France/the USa etc wanted to.......Why can't the UN do the same with Birma? Israel etc? because China and the USA said ? it. There is no justice here, not one single government on this planet is willing to help out other governments for justice. We have Dutch, French, German prime ministers saying that qadhafi got to go, yet they are supporting Israel, they are supporting Morocco etc.....tell your students that, dont let them be naive.

Now offcourse it is hard to explain these subjects, because there are always gonna be nationalistic/patriotic ? that cannot distance themselves from their nationality/country and think you are speaking ill of them, might want to hurt you etc

Offcourse you could better explain this to them by saying that there is no real international court(ICC is not rec. by China, US, Korea, Israel etc), the UN has a flawed voting system etc.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    or you could skip all this drama and stick to things that have literally happened
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Tell them an Atheist who supposedly did not believe in the ? of Israel who supposedly promised them a land of their own came up with the idea of a separate state. He was able to convince his religiously inclined brethren that this was a good idea. Even though it violated the prophetic utterances in their books concerning their return.

Tell them once they got there the people who actually usurped the land from the previous inhabitants who were there were told the party is over, and if they don't get out we are throwing you out. They then proceded to use the Malcolm X mantra "By any means necessary", and preceded to put the smack down on crosses and kufis.

Basically, it is like a coup.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen.......
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »

I wish Obama had the ? to say what you just said now. His speech on the Middle East yesterday was disappointing.

All you said is true, especially the part about Zionist ideology being a discriminatory practice, no different than apartheid was. Anyone who disagrees should read this article
    by the well known Zionist lawyer Alan Dershowitz.......carefully note how he doesn't believe Palestinians deserve a right of return, ONLY because it will make Jews a minority in their own land. Dershowitz also wants Israel to continue building illegal settlements that are kicking Palestinians from their own homes. How racist can you get?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershowitz/president-obamas-mistake_b_864494.html

Obama's mistake is a continuation of a serious mistake he made early in his administration. That first mistake was to demand that Israel freeze all settlements. The Palestinian Authority had not demanded that as a condition to negotiations. But once the president of the United States issued such a demand, the Palestinian leadership could not be seen by its followers as being less Palestinian than the president. In other words, President Obama made it more difficult for the Palestinian leadership to be reasonable. Most objective observers now recognize Obama's serious mistake in this regard. What is shocking is that he has done it again. By demanding that Israel surrender all the territories it captured in the 1967 war (subject only to land swaps) without insisting that the Palestinians surrender their right of return, the president has gone further than Palestinian negotiators had during various prior negotiations. This makes it more difficult for the Palestinian leadership to be reasonable in their negotiations with the Israelis.

It is not too late for the president to "clarify" his remarks so that all sides understand that there must be quid for quo -- that the Palestinians must surrender any right to return if the Israelis are expected to seriously consider going back to the 1967 lines (which Abba Eban called "the Auschwitz lines" because they denied Israel real security).

If President Obama is to play a positive role in bringing the Palestinians and the Israelis to the negotiating table, he should insist that there be no preconditions to negotiation. This would mean the Palestinians no longer insisting on a settlement freeze before they will even sit down to try to negotiate realistic borders. The president did not even ask the Palestinians to return to the negotiating table. Nor did he ask them to drop the condition that he, in effect, made them adopt when he earlier insisted on the freeze.

The president missed an important opportunity in delivering his highly anticipated speech. We are no closer to negotiations now than we were before the speech. My fear is that we may be a bit further away as a result of the president's one-sided insistence that Israel surrender territories without the Palestinians giving up the right of return. I hope that Prime Minister Netanyahu's visit to Washington may increase the chances of meaningful negotiations. I wish I could be more optimistic but the president's speech gave no cause for optimism. I wish it had been different because I strongly support a two-state solution based on a willingness by Israel to surrender territories captured in 1967 coupled with a willingness of the Palestinians to recognize Israel as the nation-state of the Jewish people, to renounce the use of violence and terrorism and to give up any right of return.
  • lordhonka2
    edited May 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    or you could skip all this drama and stick to things that have literally happened

yep i do that - just the facts

the fact is though this ? looks like bullying from isreal

not saying it is im just saying that what it looks like

and there is no honest unbaised reason I can give for Isreali support by the U.S.
  • hefty-vulturestatus
    hefty-vulturestatus Members Posts: 811 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yep i do that - just the facts

the fact is though this ? looks like bullying from isreal

not saying it is im just saying that what it looks like

and there is no honest unbaised reason I can give for Isreali support by the U.S.

You could say that Israel is a very small country, with a very small population, surrounded by and massively outnumbered by hostile countries run by dictators who have previously teamed up and gone to war with Israel.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You could say that Israel is a very small country, with a very small population, surrounded by and massively outnumbered by hostile countries run by dictators who have previously teamed up and gone to war with Israel.

Yeah, he could, but I'm getting the sense that he's trying to avoid being disingenuous.
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    conflicts in Isreal

I am going to give them as much of the truth as possible with no bias but

even when we just look at the facts i get the same questions

" If they weren't there how can they come back and take the land "
    " why does the U.S. Help Isreal"
    "If they (the u.n) seperated them why are they still fighting"
    "Why cant they just share the land"

to avoid bias i just give them a blank time line and at the end they are asked to come op with possible solutions

this is a 9th grade class

dont you have a teachers manual for that??
  • hefty-vulturestatus
    hefty-vulturestatus Members Posts: 811 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Yeah, he could, but I'm getting the sense that he's trying to avoid being disingenuous.

That was all fact.

Look I'm not pro Israeli or pro Palistinian, I think both are ? like the rest of humanity.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    C/s Alkindus... it's a realist world b
  • lordhonka2
    edited May 2011
    Options

yeah but wouldnt I need to tell them why they went to war with isreal i men they have a good reason as good as our reason for helping isreal
  • lordhonka2
    edited May 2011
    Options
    OFWGKTA wrote: »
    dont you have a teachers manual for that??

all text book come with bias this particular one is pro isreal
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    man,, teach me how to dougie.... opps i mean, teach me about isreal. why do people care so much about that place? i dont get it. why? its a place like everywhere else. why do people hate them so much? damn. i know i dont know about isreal because i didnt want to, but here is your floor. teach me how to dougie, i mean, about isreal and why its so significant to the world.