Monique got an OSCAR....Really???

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I mean....Im happy for her. Ole girl played the hell out of that role but, it's Monique. Oscar winner & Monique just shouldnt go together. Sorry for hating LOL, I just cant help it.

MoNique.jpg

parkers.jpg

Comments

• bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yeah, ? crazy aint it. She did a great job tho.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Three 6 Mafia getting one is a thousand times more WTF than Monique getting one, so yeah you just hating right now LOL
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Its a big deal.Im happy for her.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Happy 4 her but I hope hollywood don't try 2 ? wit her and Gabby's weight like they did the others
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »
    Happy 4 her but I hope hollywood don't try 2 ? wit her and Gabby's weight like they did the others

Why Not? That ? Is Unhealthy Both Them Fat ? Need To Shed That Extra Person THey Carrying Around
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2010
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »

Others like who.. thes chicks aint white.. and monique comes of as comfortable in her skin
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That's why I like monique and jamie foxx they the only dudes who don seem to change their persona coz they round white folks they just seem to have a gas all the time n ?

True, alot of black celebs seem to whiten up for a lack of a better word....Its like HEY.. you made it relax.. breathe..
  • Sym_
    Sym_ Members Posts: 842
    edited March 2010
    Options
    gonna catch flak for this but...

? that fat ?

she annoys me
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jamie Foxx & Mo'nique. Interesting comparision. We'll see what will happen to her career. I was blew by her performance, but my Oscar would go to Vera Farmiga in "up in the air". Now that was a ? !
    The bigger phenomenom is Gabourey Sidibe. She came from nowhere and took all major nominations and some awards with her DEBUT performance. I can't wait to see her in next movies. Hope she won't be typecasted as ugly, overweight black ghetto kid.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jamie Foxx & Mo'nique. Interesting comparision. We'll see what will happen to her career. I was blew by her performance, but my Oscar would go to Vera Farmiga in "up in the air". Now that was a ? !
    The bigger phenomenom is Gabourey Sidibe. She came from nowhere and took all major nominations and some awards with her DEBUT performance. I can't wait to see her in next movies. Hope she won't be typecasted as ugly, overweight black ghetto kid.

Jamie Foxx and Monique r ? ? ....
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    3-6 mafia gettin an oscar is way more realistic because thats how they roll

they gave them that damn music oscar so Hustle & Flow could have officially won an oscar despite the fact that Terrence Howard got ?
  • blackkevblazini
    edited March 2010
    Options
    young law wrote: »
    3-6 mafia gettin an oscar is way more realistic because thats how they roll

they gave them that damn music oscar so Hustle & Flow could have officially won an oscar despite the fact that Terrence Howard got ?

so you telling me that Three 6 Mafia getting an oscar for an OK song that Terrence Howard couldn't even be bothered with performing is more realistic than Monique getting one for a performance that deserved it?

alrightey ? .
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Meryl was robbed!!!!!!!!!
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    Meryl was robbed!!!!!!!!!....again

My Sentiments Exactly
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    so you telling me that Three 6 Mafia getting an oscar for an OK song that Terrence Howard couldn't even be bothered with performing is more realistic than Monique getting one for a performance that deserved it?

alrightey ? .

what im saying is this

Some American Black Upper Class people felt that the Academy Awards was sending a hidden racist message to the global community about the lack of artistic worth that African Americans contribute to the film industry and that, essentially, it is only when African Americans play the most demeaning African American characters is when an Oscar is worthy. ----Wikipedia
  • blackkevblazini
    edited March 2010
    Options
    young law wrote: »
    what im saying is this

Some American Black Upper Class people felt that the Academy Awards was sending a hidden racist message to the global community about the lack of artistic worth that African Americans contribute to the film industry and that, essentially, it is only when African Americans play the most demeaning African American characters is when an Oscar is worthy. ----Wikipedia

when you put it that way, i see where you are coming from.

However, the Three 6 Mafia situation can be looked at from a similar perspective, seeing as how the song that won was one that sympathized, and to an extent glorified being a ? . Plus that whole ? just straight stunk of exploitation, almost like someone was in the back chuckling at them ? .Three 6 kept it 1000% real the entire time, no doubt, but the fact that Terrence Howard didn't want nothing to do with it makes me feel like everyone was in on the joke except Three 6.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

I mean, what else can she play? No one wants to say it but she has to go take care of herself now that she has some money. She does have talent but she will get typecasted if she doesn't lose weight. You know how Holllywood is.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    I mean, what else can she play? No one wants to say it but she has to go take care of herself now that she has some money. She does have talent but she will get typecasted if she doesn't lose weight. You know how Holllywood is.

Very true. If you are that fat in Hollywood, you're either going to be in comedies where people are making fun of you, or in some weird unimportant roles in dramas.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    True about Gabbie not being able to play any other roles. A radio station here was mad at Howard Stern for saying that she's not going to be able to get any other roles in Hollywood, and that this was her last hurrah, which I honestly agree with. It's sad.

The other sad thing is that another movie depicting the us as blacks in a not-so-positive light gains any sort of recognition from the Academy, but hey, they loved movies about pedophiles (Mystic River, American Beauty), so ? knows what goes on in their heads.

And I agree with a few people here, but giving Mo'Nique an Oscar wasn't the best idea, since she is never going to be able to live up to it. Let's be honest, what other roles can she play?? What else can she do??
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    True about Gabbie not being able to play any other roles. A radio station here was mad at Howard Stern for saying that she's not going to be able to get any other roles in Hollywood, and that this was her last hurrah, which I honestly agree with. It's sad.

The other sad thing is that another movie depicting the us as blacks in a not-so-positive light gains any sort of recognition from the Academy, but hey, they loved movies about pedophiles (Mystic River, American Beauty), so ? knows what goes on in their heads.

And I agree with a few people here, but giving Mo'Nique an Oscar wasn't the best idea, since she is never going to be able to live up to it. Let's be honest, what other roles can she play?? What else can she do??

Actually Gabby already been cast in a new Showtime series called "The Big C". Suppose to start airin in May. It's a comdedy/drama. Here's the trailer for that joint...

I agree though that history tells us that her roles will be limited. She's talented though and got a lot of charisma so it'll be interestin to see how it all plays out for her.

Congrats to Monique on the win though. Not a big fan or nothin but she deserved that Oscar, ? what a ? tombout. And I disagree with the sentiment that she won't be able to live up to it. I'm not sayin she'll win another Oscar or nothin but if she can pull off a performance like that I see no reason to believe she isn't capable of pullin off high quality performances in equally dramatic roles.