Are dark Dominicans considered black? An American black man says no.

Options
Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Even people I know come up and say, 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.' "
Baseball's African-American population is 8%, compared with 28% for foreign players on last year's opening-day rosters.
"As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us," Hunter says. "It's like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It's like, 'Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?'
"I'm telling you, it's sad."

MLB player Torii Hunter

Comments

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yea...he's "Black" but he's not black nahmean?
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    MLB player Torii Hunter

this ain't the first time I've heard a baseball player says something like this...a couple years ago I remember some old Black Cubans being upset about not being allowed into something commemorating the ? Leagues because even though they played and are considered Black cuz they aren't Black Americans some wanted to keep them out...
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    such silly ? ... black is black, they're separating them due to their ethinicity and nationality...
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    such silly ? ... black is black, they're separating them due to their ethinicity and nationality...

^^^ the end.
  • Darius
    edited March 2010
    Options
    would they run the same risk of sickle cell or is that limited to black americans?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Silly white boy...
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    he has African blood in him so he is black. his slave ship just stopped in the Caribbean first
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Silly white boy...

it's not the white boy... muthafuckaz be doin ? like that, like he's not black he's Dominican, he's not black he's puertorican, he's not black he's Cuban, he's not black he's Brazilian, he's not black he's Haitian...
    just check baseball they say ? like 8% black player...yet i look at Manny Ramirez, Jose Reyes, David Ortiz,Pedro Martinez;etc... i see more black players in baseball, than ever before... they just got Spanish names, instead of English names...the same way Haitians, and people from Martinique are blacks people with french names...And Blacks from Brazil, are black folks with Portuguese names
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    his name is vladimir so he is russian

which means he is asian
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    it's not the white boy... muthafuckaz be doin ? like that, like he's not black he's Dominican, he's not black he's puertorican, he's not black he's Cuban, he's not black he's Brazilian, he's not black he's Haitian...
    just check baseball they say ? like 8% black player...yet i look at Manny Ramirez, Jose Reyes, David Ortiz,Pedro Martinez;etc... i see more black players in baseball, than ever before... they just got Spanish names, instead of English names...the same way Haitians, and people from Martinique are blacks people with french names...And Blacks from Brazil, are black folks with Portuguese names

Iknow.. Matt always has another motive..
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Iknow.. Matt always has another motive..
    man,? that pale slug...none melinated ass...that ? has wet dreams hoping that he'll wake up black...
  • JQUEENS21
    JQUEENS21 Members Posts: 228
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Even amongst Dominicans people would say he is not their kind. Us Latinos are more lost than African Americans when it comes to our people. He is too dark, he is too light, he is too much of an indian or Indio. He is a filthy Mexican do not say he is my kind. All that helps divide the people and not realize their is a common goal if are united.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I had this problem in elementary school too because of my name.I'm just sick and tired of this ? man 4 real.Balck is black.There's way more black people in south American than anywhere else in the world except africa.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    man,? that pale slug...none melinated ass...that ? has wet dreams hoping that he'll wake up black...

murda.....
  • Darius
    edited March 2010
    Options
    well its just been confirmed dark cubans definitely got some nig in them
  • KingJB2ThaFullest86
    KingJB2ThaFullest86 Members Posts: 388
    edited March 2010
    Options
    No

10 characters
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    TORI HUNTER IS TRILL!!!!!

He spoke the truth, them ? aint black they african latinos

foh latinos, smh @ white folks replacing us with spanish negroes
  • dholt23
    dholt23 Members Posts: 839
    edited March 2010
    Options
    well being how Dominicans live on the same island as Hatians is say fuckk yeah
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    black is black

but caribean black aint american black
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    under the "one drop" rule yes we are mostly black. we do come in many shades but we black. don't listen to that ?
  • young law
    edited March 2010
    Options
    now that i actually read the qoute Tori is being misinterpreted

he is talking about how american ball players get overlooked because latin players will initially sign for less money

the same complaint millions of americans have about the immigration issue
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    young law wrote: »

he is talking about how american ball players get overlooked because latin players will initially sign for less money

yeah crackas is replacing us with imitation negroes.....

all of the black, none of the attitude
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    young law wrote: »

right but regardless of the issue at hand that ? is right. I'ma show how hypocritical all you ? are right now (not specifically you young law just needed ya quote lol)

If a white dominican walks up to you and says he's black .... following you're rule you say no because his skin is not black

What Tori is speakin about IS infact ethnicity because although your skin color is important, but what ethnicity you identify with is equally important.

If i were to call a spanish person black they would look at me like i'm crazy and all of you know this is true. Their first response would be "No I am *enter*"

What Tori is saying and what all of you ? cannot deny is this, white ppl don't fuckn know the difference. All they do is look at skin tone and assume. Its the same reason why many light skinned spanish ppl consider themselves white and actually look down at darker skinned folk OF THE SAME ETHNICITY/NATIONALITY.

If you were to line up a dark skinned spanish/hispanic person, an african, a carribean and an african american in front of a white person they would just simply, "whats difference aren't they all black?". In a way its a good thing, you want ethnicity to be an invisible barrier, but its absolutely wrong because of their ignorance to cultural identities.

How would you feel as a black baseball player and everytime a dark skinned person came up to bat a white person was like "hey he's one of y'all though right". Name another black baseball player beside milton bradley, ryan howard, torii hunter and jimmy rollins. Exactly....
  • young law
    edited March 2010
    Options
    nah,
    light skinned people from latin countries are looked at as spanish,
    medium complexion is latin
    dark complexion is afro or ? such afro-latin or afro-cuban