Think For Yourself= Think Like Me Not For Yourself

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
edited May 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Whenever it seems like somebody agrees with whatever the majority opinion on something is you always get people coming out telling them "Don't be a sheep, think for yourself. Don't go with the popular opinion"...what if the popular opinion IS their opinion on the issue and they just happen to agree with it? Whenever somebody says that 'Think for yourself" ? it's really just them telling you to think like them and take on their POV instead...

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Word, it's ironic that ? say ? like "Don't believe everything they tell you.", when trying to force their own theories upon you.
  • shawnbrown
    shawnbrown Members Posts: 2,256
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I agree with you ts. Its strange that you made this thread becuz I SWEAR I was just thinking about this not even a half hour ago. Im 22 and for the 1st 19 years of my life I never thought for myself. It took me 19 years to see this. Do you know how stupid I felt. Its as if I have been sleeping all my life and been run by other ppl. Its as if I have literally been sitting shotgun in my car while someone else drove it. Just two years ago, I started qwestioning the things ive been doing and believing all my life. I used to just accept ? . Someone said sumthin and I believed it. I was just a ? parrot runnin around mimicing ? I heard. Now I see how stupid I have been and how stupid other ppl still are. One of my goals is to gi thru all I have been told and believed and check the valudity of it, simply by asking why. This simple three letter word has worked wonders in my life. Ppl hate when I say it and get annoyed. I ask someone why and they cant tell me. They fumble over words and they just say becuz. I cant live like that man
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    Coby Vibes will come in here and shatter this logic with facts and no emotional responses...
    watch...

B... bu... but she doesn't have a neck...
  • shawnbrown
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you not thinking for yourself, someone else will think for you. Belueve that ? . You mind as well be dead
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    shawnbrown wrote: »
    I agree with you ts. Its strange that you made this thread becuz I SWEAR I was just thinking about this not even a half hour ago. Im 22 and for the 1st 19 years of my life I never thought for myself. It took me 19 years to see this. Do you know how stupid I felt. Its as if I have been sleeping all my life and been run by other ppl. Its as if I have literally been sitting shotgun in my car while someone else drove it. Just two years ago, I started qwestioning the things ive been doing and believing all my life. I used to just accept ? . Someone said sumthin and I believed it. I was just a ? parrot runnin around mimicing ? I heard. Now I see how stupid I have been and how stupid other ppl still are. One of my goals is to gi thru all I have been told and believed and check the valudity of it, simply by asking why. This simple three letter word has worked wonders in my life. Ppl hate when I say it and get annoyed. I ask someone why and they cant tell me. They fumble over words and they just say becuz. I cant live like that man

I was actually the opposite growing up. The crazy part is I used to get ridiculed for not following the popular ( peer ) consensus on certain things. My thinking was "why follow something I know is wrong just because everybody else thinks its right"? I've always been inquisitive and not to type to follow others....mostly out of my rebellious nature. However, the older I got the more I realized that I made the right decisions as an adolescent & teen. When you think for yourself you open your mind up to a world of realization. In my experience, most people just follow the "popular belief", the "peer belief" and the "what my parents taught me" beliefs. They never really question the validity of what people are telling them, the potential motives or reasoning behind why others think a certain way or the origin from which those people gained said information or belief.
  • shawnbrown
    edited May 2011
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    I was actually the opposite growing up. The crazy part is I used to get ridiculed for not following the popular ( peer ) consensus on certain things. My thinking was "why follow something I know is wrong just because everybody else thinks its right"? I've always been inquisitive and not to type to follow others....mostly out of my rebellious nature. However, the older I got the more I realized that I made the right decisions as an adolescent & teen. When you think for yourself you open your mind up to a world of realization. In my experience, most people just follow the "popular belief", the "peer belief" and the "what my parents taught me" beliefs. They never really question the validity of what people are telling them, the potential motives or reasoning behind why others think a certain way or the origin from which those people gained said information or belief.

I know what you mean now yo.. they try to put you to sleep and stop your growth by saying ? like "you're bad, or you dont listen" . I felt like a new person the first time I really asked myself why. I saw ? differently and people looked so stupid to me
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i dont like people telling me how to think
  • blackrain
    edited May 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Word, it's ironic that ? say ? like "Don't believe everything they tell you.", when trying to force their own theories upon you.

or when people say "You can't trust anybody" I always say "Thanks for letting me know that you're not trustworthy"
  • nex gin
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    or when people say "You can't trust anybody" I always say "Thanks for letting me know that you're not trustworthy"

That doesn't necessarily mean the person can't be trusted. I don't trust anybody, but I consider myself to be one of the most trustworthy people you will meet. I say I don't trust anybody because logically you cannot control the actions of others. I've seen to many people get flipped on by people who were supposed to be their # ace or family. Even w/ that being so, I don't carry myself w/ that type of demeanor. It's one of those case by case bases. We good, but you only have one time to show your true colors and then I'm not ? ' w/ u anymore. Other than that...I'm 100 w/ the people who are 100 w/ me. Plus, I don't see the point in wasting energy on ? other people over. I'd rather cut ties w/ them than play the childish games.
  • blackrain
    edited May 2011
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    That doesn't necessarily mean the person can't be trusted. I don't trust anybody, but I consider myself to be one of the most trustworthy people you will meet. I say I don't trust anybody because logically you cannot control the actions of others. I've seen to many people get flipped on by people who were supposed to be their # ace or family. Even w/ that being so, I don't carry myself w/ that type of demeanor. It's one of those case by case bases. We good, but you only have one time to show your true colors and then I'm not ? ' w/ u anymore. Other than that...I'm 100 w/ the people who are 100 w/ me. Plus, I don't see the point in wasting energy on ? other people over. I'd rather cut ties w/ them than play the childish games.

so which is it...you can't trust the actions of others? Or you're the only person who someone can trust their actions?
  • nex gin
    edited May 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    so which is it...you can't trust the actions of others? Or you're the only person who someone can trust their actions?

Just from a logical standpoint...you cannot trust the actions of others because you cannot control what the next person does. The only people who are exempt are my mother and my cousin. I don't even think twice about their loyalty or reliability. Don't get me wrong...I don't walk around in a cloud of skepticism. For the most part nobody would know I feel that way unless I told them. I don't treat people like I distrust them until they have actually given me a reason to do so, but I always keep in the back of my mind that everybody isn't like me. I hate this cliche....but for lack of a better term, I'm a real ? in the sense that w/ me...what u see is what u get. I have no time or tolerance for facades, vindictive behavior, games, unnecessary drama, shady ? , etc. That's just not me and never has been. I've told people str8 up to their faces that I don't trust anybody and I'll even tell them not to trust the words that come out of my mouth....why be biased? I don't expect them to take my word for it no more than I would take theirs. I let me actions define me and that's the approach I take w/ people. When their actions ain't matchin' up to the words..gotta cut 'em lose.