Family doesn't "deserve" MY money

Options
tru_m.a.c
tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
In 1919, he was a greedy multimillionaire who didn’t want to see his family get its hands on the vast fortune he’d amassed as a lumber baron.

With the conditions of a strange will — which barred any money from his estate being distributed until 21 years after the death of his last grandchild — having been met, 12 of Burt’s descendants split a fortune estimated at about $100 million.

The lucky dozen
When Burt died in Saginaw in March 1919 at the age of 87, he was one of the eight richest men in America, as well as a former mayor of the city and Michigan state senator. Most likely as a result of a family conflict at the time, he did not want to leave any substantial amount of his money to his immediate family — so he made his strange stipulation when he hand-wrote his will in 1917.

The ‘golden egg’
The most that any of Burt’s immediate family ever received out of the estate he once referred to as “the golden egg” was a $30,000 annual payment to a “favorite son,’’ according to the Saginaw News. The other children were left with anything from $1,000 to $5,000 a year — amounts similar to what Burt left his secretary, housekeeper, chauffeur and cook. The tightfisted millionaire removed a $5,000 annuity from one of his daughters because she got divorced.

A son, three daughters and four granddaughters were able to scrape away $720,000 in cash and title in 1920 from iron mine leases that Burt controlled in Minnesota, and in 1961, a group of descendants was able to grab $700,000 in a settlement for a suit brought against the trust. Still, no one could fully get their hands on an estate estimated as the biggest that any judge has ever dealt with in Saginaw history.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43098220/ns/today-today_people/#

First things first. I applaud old man for holding on to his money. ? everybody else.

But ? got me thinking, if I won the lotto today (100mil), and died next week....who would I leave the money to? Would I pull a Bill Gates and give it all to charity? Or would I create some ? up "You gotta be the MVP of the NBA to get my money" type of will.

I'm not with that whole "blood is thicker than water" ? . What's the ICs opinion???

Comments

• JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    idk how some family is,you be skeptical on giving them anything.

when you didnt have ? nobody came around you

but when they know you got money you they favorite cousin,and family member

if people wasnt ? with you when you didnt have ? ,why suck up now?
  • SpunkyBrewster
    SpunkyBrewster Members Posts: 18
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think that's kind of "cool". I mean how hard would you work to succeed in life if you knew your rich father/grandfather was going to keel over at any moment and leave you with a couple million? His stipulations were a bit extreme, but at the same time no one can mooch off his good fortune and they still have to make their own way in life.
  • Pura~Diabla
    Pura~Diabla Members Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2011
    Options
    His family must've been money hungry ? just waiting for him to die.

I don't have any beef with my family, so I would pass it on to them.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'd give it to black women for their struggle- especially to all the single mothers.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    7fig wrote: »
    i'd give it to black women for their struggle- especially to all the single mothers.

lol that money will be spent on hair,new car and clubbing
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »

if people wasnt ? with you when you didnt have ? ,why suck up now?

I'm saying! The only family I can really ? with, are the ones that can say, "yo ? I changed ya diaper....sit yo ass down."
    His family must've been money hungry ? just waiting for him to die.

I don't have any beef with my family, so I would pass it on to them.

Oh yeah, it was painfully obvious that his family just loved him for the money. They've been trying to get his money through lawyers since his death. I hated how the article painted him as a money hoarder as if his family didn't go to extremes to steal his riches.
    A son, three daughters and four granddaughters were able to scrape away $720,000 in cash and title in 1920 from iron mine leases that Burt controlled in Minnesota, and in 1961, a group of descendants was able to grab $700,000 in a settlement for a suit brought against the trust. Still, no one could fully get their hands on an estate estimated as the biggest that any judge has ever dealt with in Saginaw history.
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    MAY 26--Responding to a call about a naked guy sunbathing, cops in Mishawaka, Indiana arrived at a local park Tuesday afternoon to discover a smiling Michael Donte Booth in the altogether. His nudity “was deliberate and not a wardrobe malfunction,” police concluded, according to an arrest report.

A survey of the crime scene determined that Booth’s shorts and underwear were several feet away from the blanket upon which he was laying on his back “with his entire ? showing.” Nearby, officers found the book “? Power,” a “Kroger bottle of extra ? olive oil,” two cans of Miller beer, and Marlboro cigarettes.

“Sweating all over his body,” Booth, 26, appeared to have drizzled himself with the olive oil. While his clothes smelled of marijuana, no contraband was recovered by cops, who noted that the suspect was “acting very unusual.”

Booth, who “kept smiling wide eyed at officers,” told police, “I’m from New York. Can’t I do this here?” He continued, “I’m a Republican and the cigarettes pay your taxes.” In response to those nonsensical observations, officers “quickly detained him in cuffs and using the blanket for cover inside a police mechanical.”

Though it can be a very permissive place, Gotham still considers full-frontal sunbathing to be illegal, despite the contention of Booth, a “jazz/lounge/R&B” singer whose MySpace page features him covering Dinah Washington and Dionne Warwick. Booth, who uses the handle “A New Diva,” can also be seen in a YouTube video channeling Peggy Lee.

Along with public indecency and public intoxicaton charges, Booth was hit with a third misdemeanor count, “false informing,” for initially lying to officers about his identity. He is being held in the St. Joseph County Jail in lieu of $200 bond. (1 page)

Courtesy: The Smoking Gun