Does Rap Reflect the Insecurity of Black Men?

Options
virgin4life
virgin4life Members Posts: 107
edited May 2011 in The Reason
In no other genre is there so much boasting, violence and sense of one-up-manship. Why do rappers feel the need to put themselves above others? Bragging about girls and drugs? What are they trying to prove?

Comments

• Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol @ ? avoiding this thread
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think rap reflects the insecurity of black people in general. Black Men aren't the only one who can be color-struck (viewing light skinned black women as being better looking than dark skinned black women). Some Black women (ghetto ones mostly) also feel this and you can heart it in the music. If you listen to Southern rap, at least the stuff I hear around Florida, the subject of most romantic/sexual songs are usually redbone or yellowbone women.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ...it reflects the person rapping,

eat a ?
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That's what the people want b
  • Supreme_Mind999
    Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Does heavy metal reflect the sickness of the white male?
  • Triggy
    Triggy Confirm Email Posts: 137
    edited May 2011
    Options
    In no other genre is there so much boasting, violence and sense of one-up-manship. Why do rappers feel the need to put themselves above others? Bragging about girls and drugs? What are they trying to prove?

1. I dont want to listen to a cowardly rapper with self-esteem issues, to me the bolder the better.

2. black people are not generic, and since like 2000 more and more listen less to rap music and even rappers dont want to claim rap music anymore ie. kanye

3. they are trying to prove they are great men and therefore great on the mic, as no one should want to listen to dumb ? like Charles Hamilton, L Cole, fiasco, etc.
  • Monizzle
    Monizzle Members Posts: 1,666
    edited May 2011
    Options
    because some ? are insecure so if something doesn't "bang in the wihip" its all of a suddent wack. If something doesn't go extra hard with the gunplay or hood talk then some men say its "boring." People define the masculinity by the music they playing and how agressive it is. When if you a real man you know the music you listen to doesnt define your masculinity. Allot of rap music shows over masculinity to over compensate for the imaturity and lack of real masculinity some ? dont have.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited May 2011
    Options
    not true.

That's what the people been force fed/duped into thinking, that's all, worth listening to over the past 20 years.

I think the payola case in US District Court vs. the Big4 Record labels, more than proves that your are dead wrong here.

I agree with u that the structure of the industry encourages certain sorts of lyrical content, but consumers like drugs, sex, and violence, whether its in movies, on television, in videogames, or in music. I mean, where are the masses of consumers clamoring for conscious hip hop?
  • Jonas.dini
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Its a bit of a cop out to say its all just entertainment, but thats basically how I feel about it.
  • Supreme_Mind999
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Monizzle wrote: »
    because some ? are insecure so if something doesn't "bang in the wihip" its all of a suddent wack. If something doesn't go extra hard with the gunplay or hood talk then some men say its "boring." People define the masculinity by the music they playing and how agressive it is. When if you a real man you know the music you listen to doesnt define your masculinity. Allot of rap music shows over masculinity to over compensate for the imaturity and lack of real masculinity some ? dont have.

Too real...........
  • dwade206
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Does heavy metal reflect the sickness of the white male?

Lol, co-sign. You have too many smart/dumb ? that want to connect trivial things to an entire race. With that being said, I guess the Kung Fu genre of film reflects every Asian person's ability to perfectly execute deadly moves at any given time.
  • icame4wo
    icame4wo Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    I think rap reflects the insecurity of black people in general. Black Men aren't the only one who can be color-struck (viewing light skinned black women as being better looking than dark skinned black women). Some Black women (ghetto ones mostly) also feel this and you can heart it in the music. If you listen to Southern rap, at least the stuff I hear around Florida, the subject of most romantic/sexual songs are usually redbone or yellowbone women.

That isn't a ghetto thing, it's a bi-product of race. If you are taught that your are ugly because you are dark and they parade other people who aren't dark as beautiful you'll think not being dark is the way to go. That's why you have so many people men and women bleaching their skin. The same goes for everything dark/light. They got everyone thinking light is the way to go but then people don't understand why people want to leave their own people to be with others, marry others and emulate others. As long as people keep living in racial terms where dark is worse and light is best, this will continue. Why do you think the gave you a light skin president? Why do you think 2Pac mainly had light skin women? MLK tricked us into believing that we had to be with them and like them in order to be important. It's nothing ore than emulating our oppressors. No matter how much we say we are over that sort of thing in 2011, the truth is we aren't. As you can see, the civil rights movements as well as the system of race have left us in shambles. So many rappers have their becky's and their pseudo becky's but in race that's a sign of achievement. They can say that they finally made it when they get becky no matter how ugly she looks. lol Women of color are under attack in the way they are portrayed in the media more now than ever. These rappers only help but they have bought into he race/civil rights propaganda just a most of us have. As far as red/yellow, we come in various shades but we are still one people. Even though they like to place the lighter shades of us on a pedestal we need to be aware of it and those who are getting special treatment for it need to acknowledge who they are. If not, we dont need them and we need to be vocal about it. Stop making excuses for them because they have been rewarded for their silence and participation in racial propaganda. A sellout is a sellout! Have you ever heard of the black skull and bones, the boule society? They like playing those color games. Many of our people in positions of prominence are apart of that society and they help further their overseers goals. Go look into the tat LeBron James got on his chest. Also, many people you think are our people aren't, they just have some color to them. Obama isn't the decedant of American slavery as an example. Many others who suppose that they speak to and for us DON'T SHARE OUR HISTRY. There is a reason that they won't let one of us come to the forefront and that's why they parade other people in our face who pose as us but aren't us.
  • Supreme_Mind999
    edited May 2011
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Lol, co-sign. You have too many smart/dumb ? that want to connect trivial things to an entire race. With that being said, I guess the Kung Fu genre of film reflects every Asian person's ability to perfectly execute deadly moves at any given time.

LOL man what?!!..I seen a dude ask a Mr. Miyagi looking old asian dude if he could break bricks with his forehead..the old dude was looking like WTF is wrong with you?
  • Jonas.dini
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Jonas

They are out here...getting ignored

Well I hope that some enterprising label fills that niche.

How u feel the evolution of the industry in the internet age plays into this?
  • Supreme_Mind999
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Man insecurity is insecurity whether its projected thru Country music or Rap....Everybody wanna criticize rap but nobody saying nothing about a heavy metal artists ? and shytting onstage and biting heads off of bats..

the music is a reflection of ppl''s mindstates...Ppl in the ghetto deal with generations of mental slavery..Music is not solely to blame for this
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

hehe im shy
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited May 2011
    Options
    smh@ da thread title when da highest sellin artist n RAP is a INSECURE RACIST WHITE LYIN REDNECK!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Some people rap for sport...

other rap for the craft.
  • Monizzle
    Monizzle Members Posts: 1,666
    edited May 2011
    Options
    One thing that this thread has left out is that Hip Hop started out and still is a competition. It has nothing to do with insecurity. It's just how the game is supposed to be played. The "i'm better than you" mentality stems from ppl simply trying to be the best whether it's for money or the love of the art. The only thing that shows insecurity of black men is the ? they ? afta they get money. That's an insecurity of all mankind though. Not just ? .

hip hop is not a pure competition its a politiacal race to get people to buy into what your selling. Hip hop is marketing. If it was a competition then the rappers with the best delivery would be selling the best and getting the most awards. But they don't. Nowadays hip hop is about demographics and target markets not about who is the most talented. Every one can love derrick rose and hate lebron james but in the competition lebron will beat rose and head to head hold him to 6% fg percentage. But in hip hop people can hate the lebron james and love derrick rose and then derrick rose outsells lebron james and wins more awards.
  • dwade206
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    you dont know ? about Hip Hop or any other genre of music, so why bother taking this path...
    why not just make a thread saying that you hate black men...
    spare us the faux cultural analysis...
    troll harder..

ether_summary1.jpg

...? ridiculous
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    No, rap reflects the insecurities of men suffering from arrested development. regardless of race.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we both know that he was referencing the popular conception of the genre.
  • bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    icame4wo wrote: »
    That isn't a ghetto thing, it's a bi-product of race. If you are taught that your are ugly because you are dark and they parade other people who aren't dark as beautiful you'll think not being dark is the way to go. That's why you have so many people men and women bleaching their skin. The same goes for everything dark/light. They got everyone thinking light is the way to go but then people don't understand why people want to leave their own people to be with others, marry others and emulate others. As long as people keep living in racial terms where dark is worse and light is best, this will continue. Why do you think the gave you a light skin president? Why do you think 2Pac mainly had light skin women? MLK tricked us into believing that we had to be with them and like them in order to be important. It's nothing ore than emulating our oppressors. No matter how much we say we are over that sort of thing in 2011, the truth is we aren't. As you can see, the civil rights movements as well as the system of race have left us in shambles. So many rappers have their becky's and their pseudo becky's but in race that's a sign of achievement. They can say that they finally made it when they get becky no matter how ugly she looks. lol Women of color are under attack in the way they are portrayed in the media more now than ever. These rappers only help but they have bought into he race/civil rights propaganda just a most of us have. As far as red/yellow, we come in various shades but we are still one people. Even though they like to place the lighter shades of us on a pedestal we need to be aware of it and those who are getting special treatment for it need to acknowledge who they are. If not, we dont need them and we need to be vocal about it. Stop making excuses for them because they have been rewarded for their silence and participation in racial propaganda. A sellout is a sellout! Have you ever heard of the black skull and bones, the boule society? They like playing those color games. Many of our people in positions of prominence are apart of that society and they help further their overseers goals. Go look into the tat LeBron James got on his chest. Also, many people you think are our people aren't, they just have some color to them. Obama isn't the decedant of American slavery as an example. Many others who suppose that they speak to and for us DON'T SHARE OUR HISTRY. There is a reason that they won't let one of us come to the forefront and that's why they parade other people in our face who pose as us but aren't us.

good point, and to take it a step further i never got the whole light/dark thing when i was a kid, i thought with a more pan-afrikan mindset. i guess that came from my father being central american and having latin american/west indian roots. i was never colorstruck and didn't get that sort of ? until i moved to the south when i was 11 or 12 from other brown/dark-skinned black folks (my parents are not white, just mixed with afrikan/american indian/hispanic heritage) which bothered me. you don't see afrikans from the west or east doing this towards the northern breed who are mixed with arabic blood, if anything tribalism is the problem not what shade of black you are.

with that being said this was a dumb topic to start with. muthafucka is acting like he's polling hip-hop sites to get a consensus for his term paper and if that's the fact then come out and say it.
  • bootcheese3000
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Man insecurity is insecurity whether its projected thru Country music or Rap....Everybody wanna criticize rap but nobody saying nothing about a heavy metal artists ? and shytting onstage and biting heads off of bats..

the music is a reflection of ppl''s mindstates...Ppl in the ghetto deal with generations of mental slavery..Music is not solely to blame for this

maaaaaaaaaaaaan those white bwoys that are in those metal bands are ? ' busters too. everytime you see pictures of them they're always looking so hard and tough and evil. ? reminds me of these gangsta rappers that take their ? too ? ' seriously. we know good and damn well those ? aren't built like that and if they are they wouldn't be dry-snitching on themselves in their music, just look at pooh man and mac dre for examples. the police are listening to our ? 24/7 to bust muthafuckas out here. you think they put the same time and effort into death metal or satanic black metal?
  • bootcheese3000
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    smh@ da thread title when da highest sellin artist n RAP is a INSECURE RACIST WHITE LYIN REDNECK!

i KNEW it was coming!!!!!!!