edited May 2011 in The Reason
Read this..It will bug You out

Torture by music: Metallica and Eminem used to ‘break’ Iraqi soldiers

Springsteen, Deicide and Barney The Dinosaur also adopted by US Military

Tom Porter, Thu 19 Jun 2008, 1:10 pm BST
Torture by music: Metallica and Eminem used to ‘break’ Iraqi soldiers

Metallica: "Glad to be part of it"

View in gallery

US military have been using music as a form of torture in Iraq. Psychological operations (or psyops) play Metallica's Enter Sandman or Eminem's White America at excruciating volumes as a way of 'breaking' Iraqi prisoners of war.

Both songs feature in a torture playlist compiled by American investigative magazine Mother Jones. ? Your ? by death metal band Deicide tops the list while Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA and Barney The Dinosaur's I Love You are also popular choices.

The fact that ? Your ? is actually anti-Christian and Born In The USA and White America focus on anti-establishment doesn't seem to matter. I Love You, sung by a happy-go-lucky purple dinosaur, is known in the torture trade as futility music – chosen to "convince the prisoner of the futility of maintaining his position".

Perhaps surprisingly, many artists don't take offence at the military's appropriation of their work. Metallica frontman James Hetfield had this to say: "If the Iraqis aren't used to freedom, then I'm glad to be part of their exposure. We've been punishing our parents, our wives, our loved ones with this music for ever. Why should the Iraqis be any different?"

The Guardian reports that 'torture by music' is not a new concept. Similar techniques involving loud noise and strobe lights pumped into cells were adopted by the FBI during the '90s and by the IRA as far back as the '70s. Psyops call this method "torture lite", which is handy because "heavy" torture is banned.

Comments