Erykah Badu: ‘Return of the Ankh’ Album Artwork

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Erykah Badu has finally revealed the cover art for her highly-anticipated upcoming album, ‘New Amerykah Part 2: Return of the Ankh‘, via her official website ErykahBadu.com. While the cover art, done by artist EMEK, is displayed above, you can also hear some new music – a snippet of “Strawberry Incense”, produced by Madlib, off the new album – playing on her site as well.
Only 12 days left til the release of ‘Return of the Ankh‘, on March 30th!

HEAR THE SNIPPET: http://erykahbadu.com/

badu_ankh_lg_emek.jpg

Comments

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Proper looking forward to this album. Can't wait
  • focus
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I don't like it as much as part 1's cover, bust still cool
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ^ Same. But whatever lol I just wanna hear this already.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Dope.

Her leaks sound wonderful as well.

Prolly buying this one.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    New masterpiece in the making. I like the cover.
  • focus
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The snippet was...ok. I don't know about that talking at the end.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    yo how you got that pic at the bottom of yo screen for it to stay there of nikki minaj?
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I like the cover. Reminds me of the looks she was rocking when she was performing at the Jimmy Fellon show with The Roots.
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The song was hot. I'm definitely copping. I wasn't sure when I heard Jump Up In the Air. I agree about the cover but I still think its dope.
  • focus
    edited March 2010
    Options
    She explained the album cover at a recent listening party. I like it a little more now. And here's a preview of the album.

Erykah Badu – “New Amerykah, Part 2: Return of the Ankh” [Playback Review]
    Friday, March 19, 2010, 1:51 am

Anyone who knows me personally or frequents this blog will know that I am, unequivocally an Erykah Badu fan. I’ve listened to her for years, I remember buying Baduizm in 1997 and my homies looking at me like I was smoking something green. For me, Badu’s debut has a permanent fixture in my ‘classic albums’ list. Her second album, Mama’s Gun, which many herald as her best to date, was released in 2000, followed by Worldwide Underground in 03 and then New Amerykah, Part 1: 4th World War in 2008.

Now, 2010 marks the release of her newest album New Amerykah, Part 2: Return of the Ankh – the PinBoard crew were among the lucky few who got the opportunity to hear the album (in full) and speak to the lady herself…

Erykah began by explaining that Part 1 was made by using the “left side of [her] brain” – The political, the logical, the analytical. While Part 2 expresses the right, more emotional, part of the brain. She also said that during the recording process of this album, she felt a lot like she did when making Baduizm, which is way she named it Return of the Ankh – as during the Baduizm phase she was reading and researching Kemet (Egypt) and the ‘Ankh’ was her favourite symbol. The symbol (word) meaning life.
    ErykahPinBoard

Speaking on the album’s art work (which was blown up and stood behind Erykah as she spoke), Badu explained in quite some detail what exactly the image portrayed and the reasons behind it. Once again collaborating with artist Emek, she explained that ’she’ (as the art no longer belongs to her (Erykah), it’s now the worlds), is cased in armour as a result of the experiences she has gone through: life, love, war, politics, struggle, ? . She explains that she is escaping through her head (“her self-cage”) – and is freeing herself from all the things she has experienced. She is being “re-born”. Badu also pointed out that around her armoured shoulders is the rubble from all the things on the Part 1 cover: money, record players, pollution, weapons and…”? ” etc. All this is happening under water too – notice the ripple above. Erykah passionately described the piece of art and said that to her, the cover art is just as important as the music it conceals. “I didn’t have TV growing up, I had album covers…I want my album cover to tell the story too”.

On to the music: New Amerykah, Part 2: Return of the Ankh is gorgeous. I do not think fans will be disapointed. Admittedly, I do need to listen to it more to fully digest what it’s all about, but all I can say is while listening to it – I felt good. Badu is back to singing those soulful melodies, ad-libbing in a way that really reminds me of her debut and Mama’s Gun (although she says she see’s/hears no comparisons) and talking about love, ? and everything in between that involves matters of the heart. Her beat selection was yet again on point. Having worked with the same produces as she did on Part 1 (don’t forget, ALL the songs from Part 1 & 2 were recorded during the same period) i.e. Madlib (“Umm Hmm”, “Strawberry Incense”) , Dilla (“Love”), Sa-Ra (“Agitation”), 9th Wonder (“20 Feet Tall”) and Kareem Riggins (“Get Money”, “Fall In Love”). I cannot stop thinking about “Love” produced by Dilla and “Umm Hmm” by Madlib. Those two tracks along with “Window Seat” are definitely the stand outs thus far. And I must admit, I’m surprised that Erykah dropped “Window Seat” so prematurely – it’s without a doubt one of the album’s strongest tracks, I really think she should have held that one back. If I heard that song, for the first time at yesterday’s playback, I would have jumped out of my seat. Truth.

Return of the Ankh is just that, a return. A return to the Badu that dropped Baduizm & Mama’s Gun. While this new LP sounds very little like the aforementioned, it does see a departure from Erykah’s experimental nature as heard on Worldwide Underground and New Amerykah, Part 1: 4th World War.

On speaking of her music, Erykah ended the session by saying: “If I was to die tomorrow, my kids would know exactly who I was by listening to my music”…

Official tracklist

1. 20 Feet Tall
    2. Window Seat
    3. Agitation
    4. Get Money
    5. Don’t Be Long
    6. Umm Hmm
    7. Love
    8. Loving Me
    9. Fall in Love
    10. Strawberry Incense
    11. Out My Mind Just In Time

http://pinboardblog.com/2010/03/18/erykah-badu-new-amerykah-part-2-return-of-the-ankh-playback-review/