Venetian Snares - Cubist Reggae EP

Options
Ounceman
Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
First and foremost im a huge fan of the snares, but after the release of the disappointing and disjointing "my so called life", i got the impression that aaron funk was loosing steam and running out of ideas. but now any spiteful doubt i had in the past can now be thrown out the window. because im proud to say that he's returned to prime form and even sounds a bit refreshed. also with this ep "cubist reggae", you'll find that venetian snares has taken a radical departure from the notorious sound he's so known for. sacrificing the brutal, ominous, chaotic onslaught of breakbeats in the past, for favor of a more sparse, minimalistic boomblast sound that can be synonomous with reggae, hence the title. completely taking apart reggae sounds like sirens, guitars, and reverbs, and then splicing and rearranging them into an oblivion with odd time signatures and breakcore beats. now please do not get it twisted. because hear me when i say there's nothing remotely approachable about venetian snares' music. as it is an acquired taste through and through. but dare i say that this just might be his most accessible work to date.