Is digital/internet advancement destroying social skills and 'true love'?

Options
Alkindus
Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Social Lounge
Oke oke I admit this might be the thread with the biggest cliches in history and I don't want to sound like on old man because I am young as ? but whats your opinion on the internet/mailing and such and how the generation which is born today(really today) will interact with basic emotions, love caring etc in the near future? . I mean with all the dating sites, social network sites and such? The kids of today grow up with a computer, stay indoors way more often, are less socially skilled (or are they>?) Are people becoming even more ruthless because digital communication is less personal?

Whats your take on this? Are brothers in the future doing marriage proposals via emails lol? are the people losing insight in human nature like textbook psychologists?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It can.. but this goes hadn in hand with the rap discussion.. Parenting. someone will articulate it further than i will but i will leave it at that.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think most definitely. There has to be balance. Children are being turned into zombies. They would rather stay in the house than go outside.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    yep. the biggest contributor to the downfall of human interaction is the text message.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    there was a time not to long ago, where the ideas of females who were photographically expressive about their sexuality was still pretty taboo. Nowadays, ? , I can't even count the number of girl next door turned camera phone vixens that I have seen

and I am not one bit mad at it

I think this generation and on are headed toward integrating everything we do socially. Pretty soon a game is gonna be made so that kids don't have to leave the crib to go outside anymore

smh
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited March 2010
    Options
    what exactly is "true" love?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yup, we're are becoming more and more lifeless.

Everything about us is becoming virtual, a hologram.
  • "A Tout le Mond
    "A Tout le Mond Members Posts: 121
    edited March 2010
    Options
    YES it is. Look at our kids. They just walk around and have their head stuck in a cell phone, or iPod, etc. Alot of this is the parents fault. ? me off.
  • ckfree
    edited March 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    what exactly is "true" love?

chemicals in our brains

dopamine brings you together

oxytocin keeps you attached
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    there was a time not to long ago, where the ideas of females who were photographically expressive about their sexuality was still pretty taboo. Nowadays, ? , I can't even count the number of girl next door turned camera phone vixens that I have seen

and I am not one bit mad at it

I think this generation and on are headed toward integrating everything we do socially. Pretty soon a game is gonna be made so that kids don't have to leave the crib to go outside anymoresmh

They already have....its called a "Wii".

And no lie, I was thinking how horrible life has become when I saw a group of teenagers in the mall walking together all with headphones in their ear. My first thought was..."what's the purpose in hanging with your friends if you're not going to talk to them"
  • ckfree
    edited March 2010
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    They already have....its called a "Wii".

And no lie, I was thinking how horrible life has become when I saw a group of teenagers in the mall walking together all with headphones in their ear. My first thought was..."what's the purpose in hanging with your friends if you're not going to talk to them"

I have a Wii, I didn't know they had a game like that

word though

my sisters are like that too. It's easier to text them a question than to ask them from five feet away smh

it's a catch 22 with all this technology
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    I have a Wii, I didn't know they had a game like that

The Wii fit parody, from the sarcastic gamer: