Options
The Prime Minister
The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Social Lounge
Sentencing reform bill moves
Focus would be on drug treatment instead of prison
Peter Marcus, DDN Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The House Judiciary Committee yesterday backed legislation that would place an emphasis on providing drug users with community-based counseling rather than send them to prison for long sentences.

House Bill 1352 passed the Judiciary Committee yesterday on a unanimous vote.

The bipartisan measure would reduce the charge for simple possession for most drugs from a class 6 felony to a class 1 misdemeanor. Simple possession would be defined as four grams, instead of one gram in all cases except for with methamphetamine. In the case of ? , simple possession would be defined as two grams or less.

Marijuana comes with its own classification system. A petty offense for marijuana would be raised from one ounce to two ounces and include a $100 fine; possession between two to 12 ounces of marijuana would be considered a misdemeanor; and anything more than 12 ounces would be considered a felony.

The bill is expected to save the state $60 million over five years, according to Rep. Mark Waller, R-Colorado Springs, the bill’s sponsor.

“I (brought this bill forward) because I want to make our communities safer and I want to do it with the best bang for our limited public safety dollars as possible,” Waller told the Judiciary Committee.

Despite the bill’s unanimous approval, not everyone is in favor of the legislation. Beverly Kinard, founder of Guarding Our Children Against Marijuana, objected strongly to the $100 fine for petty possession of marijuana, arguing that the fine should be as high as $1,000 to deter children from using ? . She believes that a $1,000 fine would encourage parents to intervene.

“This bill gets the message out to young people that marijuana is OK,” Kinard told lawmakers.

But lawmakers are looking at both fiscal and social savings to the bill, noting that the measure could potentially lower simple possession sentences for those who are sent to prison from as many as six years in prison to 18 months.

The bill would also stiffen mandatory minimum sentences for drug dealers who sell drugs to children.

The legislation stems from recommendations made by the Colorado Commission on Criminal & Juvenile Justice. Unlike sentencing reform bills of years past, HB 1352 has a broad spectrum of support, including the attorney general, prosecutors, defense attorneys, Republicans and Democrats.

“It does take a leap of faith, and it is in so many ways a paradigm shift that we’re asking people to understand in that a way to deal with these possession-type offenses is with an eye toward more good, meaningful evaluations and ongoing meaningful treatment so that you keep them out of the jails and out of the prisons and productive members of society and hopefully break the addiction cycle,” said Tom Raynes, deputy attorney general for the Attorney General’s Office.

Paul Thompson, a former heroin addict who spent time in prison for drug-related crimes but later became a counselor for Peer 1, said it is amazing for him to see lawmakers and prosecutors shift their priorities from sentencing to counseling.

“I believe this bill is historic,” said Thompson. “For someone like myself, it’s like watching man land on the moon to watch district attorneys and public defenders working together to help an addict. It’s an incredible thing.”

http://thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=7753

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    “I believe this bill is historic,” said Thompson. “For someone like myself, it’s like watching man land on the moon to watch district attorneys and public defenders working together to help an addict. It’s an incredible thing.”

word, props to Colorado
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

haha

that's a start

State's Attorney's are simply housing people like animals. The entire complex needs to be torn down and the system should be revamped to require inmates who don't have a GED/diploma to take a manadatory class and pass. For whatever reason they didn't get it in the first place, this is the opportune time for them to do so, since it is suppose to be a place of "corrections"
  • Swiffness!
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    State's Attorney's are simply housing people like animals. The entire complex needs to be torn down and the system should be revamped to require inmates who don't have a GED/diploma to take a manadatory class and pass. For whatever reason they didn't get it in the first place, this is the opportune time for them to do so, since it is suppose to be a place of "corrections"

yeah, lets build classrooms in the prisons (w/ shatterproof glass separating the teacher and "students")
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Big win for liberty right there.
  • ckfree
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    yeah, lets build classrooms in the prisons (w/ shatterproof glass separating the teacher and "students")

ahahaha

I find it funny, well not really, how out of the millions of minorities in the American penal, the mass majority are in there for non violent, drug related crimes
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ahahaha

I find it funny, well not really, how out of the millions of minorities in the American penal, the mass majority are in there for non violent, drug related crimes

This here is monumental. It means folks won't be catching felonies left and right and getting trapped in the system.

To hell with the ? vs. powder ? sentencing disparity. So long as you don't get caught with crazy weight or dealin' it's just a misdemeanor.

States rights FTW.
  • ckfree
    edited March 2010
    Options
    This here is monumental. It means folks won't be catching felonies left and right and getting trapped in the system.

To hell with the ? vs. powder ? sentencing disparity. So long as you don't get caught with crazy weight or dealin' it's just a misdemeanor.

States rights FTW.

couldn't agree more

all it took was a ? up economy

every state is looking for ways to cut down on money. Over here in Illinois, they were shaving off 6 months off prisoners sentances for good behavior as soon as they got in there, before they even had a chance to display any type of conduct, good or bad
  • Swiffness!
    edited March 2010
    Options
    couldn't agree more

all it took was a ? up economy

every state is looking for ways to cut down on money. Over here in Illinois, they were shaving off 6 months off prisoners sentances for good behavior as soon as they got in there, before they even had a chance to display any type of conduct, good or bad

and the tax revenue angle of weed legalization is giving it steam
  • ckfree
    edited March 2010
    Options
    and the tax revenue angle of weed legalization is giving it steam

hell yeah

don't stop there though

it's ok for a woman to have an abortion because it's her body, well, they should also legalize prostitution, it's her body too

have the government be the ?
  • Swiffness!
    edited March 2010
    Options
    hell yeah

don't stop there though

it's ok for a woman to have an abortion because it's her body, well, they should also legalize prostitution, it's her body too

have the government be the ?

rofl @ IRS agent shakin ? 's down like Wayne Brady

"What's this? Mr. Franklin looks lonely....do you wanna go to Gitmo, ? ?"
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Big win for liberty right there.

Yea but only a very minute win. still a win nonetheless and hopefully others can try to model the success this will have
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    this is the type of ? that inspires me. This helps me keep what little bit of faith I have in politics. and its a Republican bill? interesting.
  • "A Tout le Mond
    "A Tout le Mond Members Posts: 121
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • ckfree
    edited March 2010
    Options
    rofl @ IRS agent shakin ? 's down like Wayne Brady

"What's this? Mr. Franklin looks lonely....do you wanna go to Gitmo, ? ?"

ahahahahahahah

IRS agent: pimping ain't easy, but it sho'll aint hard!