WWE Over the Limit Draws Near Record Low Pay-Per-View Buy Number

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited June 2011 in Off The Turn Buckle
While WWE has yet to release the buy number for last month's Over the Limit pay-per-view event, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that the show is estimated to have garnered 65,000 buys in the United States (based on trending patterns as well as actual cable reports).

Should this number hold up, it would be WWE's least watched pay-per-view event in nearly five years. The 2006 pay-per-view event December to Dismember drew approximately 90,000 pay-per-view buys, with 55,000 of them domestic—the lowest buyrate in company history.

To show the accuracy of trending numbers, they would have indicated 90,000 for TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs (real number was 101,000), 260,000 for Royal Rumble (real number 264,000), 160,000 for Elimination Chamber (real number 136,000) and 630,000 for WrestleMania XXVII (real number 617,000).

Over the Limit was headlined by John Cena vs. The Miz, Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler, and Randy Orton vs. Christian.

Comments

• @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I've never bought a PPV except Wrestlemania and I only did that a couple times, and that was years and years ago.

I don't know who these fans are that buy all these ? shows.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    its been at least 8 years since i bought one...
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    the low buyrate from December to Dismember led the WWE to discontinue those single brand PPV's
    hopefully this will lead to WWE discontinuing the separate brands all together
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's too many ? ppv wrestling events out now not everybody can afford it every month smh most of them are lame anyway it's too predictable now on who's gonna win smh
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    if the WWE simply goes back to the old 80's format with at least 4 big PPVs a year and 1 or 2 shows a week, they would do OK.

but the overall problem is that the WWE comes on television too much. What you get on a PPV will be shown in a rematch on RAW for free within a month, if not sooner. Why pay $40-50 for something that'll be on television for free, if you can wait a couple weeks to see it on RAW or Smackdown? Just like boxing, the big fight are shown on HBO/Showtime about two weeks after the PPV event. I ain't paying all that bread for something I can see for free. Especially a PPV where everything on the undercard isn't really emphasized and it's really about 1 or 2 big matches.
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    they should stop having montly ppv's
  • m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    O-v-e-r-s-a-t-u-r-a-t-i-o-n
  • magic_b
    magic_b Members Posts: 282
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's only going to get worse. Especially after the large number of people (including myself) were ? off at what they gave us at WrestleMania 27.