[DROPPED!] Kendrick Lamar Section 80 - Album of the Year, Thus Far?

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Section 80 coming at Midnight!!! Which is 5am here (no I'm not getting up for it!) But I'll cop it at 8am!
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dropped, £5.99 for UK heads.

*EDIT* Sounds great so far, production is much more full and LIVE! For those who don't want him quiet and his flow is ? dope man, don't understand people's criticisms lol. He has some Bone Thugz flow style on track 3, ADHD.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    nice i gotta wait till tomorrow..i aint bootleggin that ? . so im just gonna countdown. i gotta long way togo
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    nice i gotta wait till tomorrow..i aint bootleggin that ? . so im just gonna countdown. i gotta long way togo

What is it like 5 hours? Dope that you're waiting and copping too though, it's definitely worth a cop off the first 6 listens too, my money has been well spent...

I just wish it was in CD format too. Also, saw you in that Reason thread earlier and I edited my post to include your username as well as thanks to Essence posters, appreciate it.

---

This album is incredible so far, don't know why, the production seems much more fuller though and in your face almost in comparison to previous releases... huge fan so far... Sex with Society hasn't made the release though, but here it is:
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Kendrick Lamar, Strong Arm Steady, Mitchy Slick and Self Scientific is the only one's im really checking out of Southen Cali right now that's not the usaul suspect ala Tha Dogg Pound, Soul Assasains, West Coast Wu Killa Bee's, Likwit crew ect.... And i will support Kendrick Lamar.

Ruff Draft tell me your thoughts on Kendrick's Lamar is it a Universal album or a L.A. album that's Universal....because i feel a Cali artist shouldnt have to go out and break their neck to please everybody that's why I perfer Game's Dr. Advocate over The Documentary. How's the Sequencing and production, I know the lyrics are dope so i aint go ask but is he showing range on different topic's
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Kendrick Lamar, Strong Arm Steady, Mitchy Slick and Self Scientific is the only one's im really checking out of Southen Cali right now that's not the usaul suspect ala Tha Dogg Pound, Soul Assasains, West Coast Wu Killa Bee's, Likwit crew ect.... And i will support Kendrick Lamar.

Ruff Draft tell me your thoughts on Kendrick's Lamar is it a Universal album or a L.A. album that's Universal....because i feel a Cali artist shouldnt have to go out and break their neck to please everybody that's why I perfer Game's Dr. Advocate over The Documentary. How's the Sequencing and production, I know the lyrics are dope so i aint go ask but is he showing range on different topic's

Where's Eligh and Blu from? As well as Fashawn (Fresno)? I don't really understand the areas of Cali...

It's a universal album, IMO. But far from disappointing or selling out... the production is heavy and varied... sounds very different to his earlier two releases under his Government name. But at the same time he slows it down on tracks like Keisha's Song with Ashtro Bot.... which would sounds more at home on some of his earlier releases. The first half of the album sounds like it'll be the better half... but yeah, it's not got beats on it that are westcoast heavy, but then I never felt his self-titled EP did as such...

He switches up his flow at times, sounding like Kanye on MBDTF (No Make up, sounds like Blame Game flow, flowing between him and the female emcee) at times and then on another track he sounds like he's a member of Bone Thugz (ADHD). I'd say he could have made this release a 12 track EP and it would have been much more revered, but the latter tracks affect the release to a degree as I don't feel they're on the same level of quality as the earlier tracks.

EVERYTHING about the album is quality though and I feel the album flows well and the production never really falls off with the exception of Rigamortus, which sounds unfinished and tinny... boring and just ? to put it bluntly LOL but others may think it's a creative beat, I'm just not feeling it.

Overall, seems like this is going to be a grower over the coming months and it's already a solid 3.5/4/5 to me in terms of EP's... easily worth a cop!!! Great release!!!
  • waterproof
    edited July 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Where's Eligh and Blu from? As well as Fashawn (Fresno)? I don't really understand the areas of Cali...

It's a universal album, IMO. But far from disappointing or selling out... the production is heavy and varied... sounds very different to his earlier two releases under his Government name. But at the same time he slows it down on tracks like Keisha's Song with Ashtro Bot.... which would sounds more at home on some of his earlier releases. The first half of the album sounds like it'll be the better half... but yeah, it's not got beats on it that are westcoast heavy, but then I never felt his self-titled EP did as such...

He switches up his flow at times, sounding like Kanye on MBDTF (No Make up, sounds like Blame Game flow, flowing between him and the female emcee) at times and then on another track he sounds like he's a member of Bone Thugz (ADHD). I'd say he could have made this release a 12 track EP and it would have been much more revered, but the latter tracks affect the release to a degree as I don't feel they're on the same level of quality as the earlier tracks.

EVERYTHING about the album is quality though and I feel the album flows well and the production never really falls off with the exception of Rigamortus, which sounds unfinished and tinny... boring and just ? to put it bluntly LOL but others may think it's a creative beat, I'm just not feeling it.

Overall, seems like this is going to be a grower over the coming months and it's already a solid 3.5/4/5 to me in terms of EP's... easily worth a cop!!! Great release!!!

Lol i forgot to add Blu & Murs, but Eligh is a Bay Area transplant he's originally from L.A. he moved to the bay after his highschool years (In L.A. he used to rhyme with Murs) he hooked up with Mystik Journeymen and Grouch in Oakland and with Murs and Scarub who with Eligh ws known as3 Melancholy Gypsys from L.A. they form LIVING LEGENDS.

Fashwan is from Fresno that's the Central Valley, Fresno have a dope ass Underground scene, Planet Asia is from there also. I be out there sometimes vistiing my Family and the hip-hop scene is on point, dope underground station out there..
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lol i forgot to add Blu & Murs, but Eligh is a Bay Area transplant he's originally from L.A. he moved to the bay after his highschool years (In L.A. he used to rhyme with Murs) he hooked up with Mystik Journeymen and Grouch in Oakland and with Murs and Scarub who with Eligh ws known as3 Melancholy Gypsys from L.A. they form LIVING LEGENDS.

Fashwan is from Fresno that's the Central Valley, Fresno have a dope ass Underground scene, Planet Asia is from there also. I be out there sometimes vistiing my Family and the hip-hop scene is on point, dope underground station out there..

Murs needs to come back with that real, I've seen his new hair cut, so hopefully that'll make him swifter in the booth lol.

Props on this, area doesn't mean as much to me considering I'm not even in the States lol. But it's good to know, I like the Mystik Journeyman and The Grouch as well, I always feel the westcoast HAS the best underground scene, particularly the Bay.

Planet Asia is dope too, that's some cool ? that they have underground stations out there, do you know what they're called and whether they have internet radio stations that I could listen to?

Have you listened to Section 80 yet?
  • waterproof
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Murs needs to come back with that real, I've seen his new hair cut, so hopefully that'll make him swifter in the booth lol.

Props on this, area doesn't mean as much to me considering I'm not even in the States lol. But it's good to know, I like the Mystik Journeyman and The Grouch as well, I always feel the westcoast HAS the best underground scene, particularly the Bay.

Planet Asia is dope too, that's some cool ? that they have underground stations out there, do you know what they're called and whether they have internet radio stations that I could listen to?

Have you listened to Section 80 yet?

lol Murs stay switchin his crop up, what part of the world you from and how's the hip-hop scene out there anybody to check out???

The Station is a college station and they play lots of jazz and blues but at night and on the weekends they got a ill hip-hop show the station is 90.7 KSFR.

I haven't heard Section 80 yet i got to make it to Rasputins to cop it
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lol Murs stay switchin his crop up, what part of the world you from and how's the hip-hop scene out there anybody to check out???

The Station is a college station and they play lots of jazz and blues but at night and on the weekends they got a ill hip-hop show the station is 90.7 KSFR.

I haven't heard Section 80 yet i got to make it to Rasputins to cop it

I'm from the UK and not very forgiving to the hip hop here, I don't really feel it although there are some cool beats and hip hop influenced tracks... our best artist is probably Wiley or Dizzee Rascal. But then others would point you in other directions, but I'm not really feeling it... hip hop scene is non-existent where I live, which is why I discuss it online and try to remain a part of the culture and go to shows in the bigger cities...

Sounds good, I'll try and find that station online if it is there...

You can't go wrong with the cop, well worth it, IMO.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm gonna buy it later today, how good is it?
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm gonna buy it later today, how good is it?

Put simply, it's worth your money... especially if you've been a fan of his previous releases, I think it's better than O.D, but I'd have to give it some serious rotation to state that it was better than his self-titled EP. That said, he has some of his best tracks on this release, from Hiii Power and Reagan Era to Keisha's Song and ADHD, there's a real variety of production on the release and it shows that if he was backed beats wise, he could switch it up even more.... he's experimenting with other well-known artists flows on the album but still retains his own flow from his previous releases (which I'm thankful for). I'm on my fourth listen, it's well worth the cop, just listen without expectation and see where it takes you...
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What is it like 5 hours? Dope that you're waiting and copping too though, it's definitely worth a cop off the first 6 listens too, my money has been well spent...

I just wish it was in CD format too. Also, saw you in that Reason thread earlier and I edited my post to include your username as well as thanks to Essence posters, appreciate it.

---

This album is incredible so far, don't know why, the production seems much more fuller though and in your face almost in comparison to previous releases... huge fan so far... Sex with Society hasn't made the release though, but here it is:

I gotta be honest some of the tracks that been put up in this thread...is ehhhh at best...this song is garbage
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    I gotta be honest some of the tracks that been put up in this thread...is ehhhh at best...this song is garbage

Probably why it didn't make the final cut...

Here's some of my favourites:

Not every track is top notch, but there are around 9 tracks that I feel are really good, which makes this a strong release given that it's an EP.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

yeah i haven't really been feeling the songs ............ thats the one big problem with the new era of emcees they can't consistently put together good songs a lot of stuff is hit or miss .
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yeah i haven't really been feeling the songs ............ thats the one big problem with the new era of emcees they can't consistently put together good songs a lot of stuff is hit or miss .

I agree especially when it comes to kendrick. Some of his songs are so good that I don't understand how he could come out with some of the unlistenable ? on section 80. This dude is really hit or miss to me...
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

Not every track is top notch, but there are around 9 tracks that I feel are really good, which makes this a strong release given that it's an EP.

Better but not by much.. ADHD is kind wack to me imo the other two are better. It doesnt help that he has one of the worst rapping voices in hiphop that Ive heard in many years. Makes it hard to listen to his ? .
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options

There are enough emcee's out there that can release good music consistently though... Eligh's Grey Crow last year was Godly (and is a good example).
    Better but not by much.. ADHD is kind wack to me imo the other two are better.

Release probably isn't for you then as Reagan Era and Hol' Up along with Hiiii Power are the three other outstanding tracks *to me*...

You liked any of his previous releases?
    I agree especially when it comes to kendrick. Some of his songs are so good that I don't understand how he could come out with some of the unlistenable ? on section 80. This dude is really hit or miss to me...

Tracks like Rigomortus, Blow My High and Chapter Six... I'm not really feeling, I can co-incide with some being hit or miss... but as an EP, do we really expect a full album full of great tracks? This isn't his debut after all....

As for me, I think this is 3.75/5 for an EP. A good 8 tracks that I really, really like, much more than OD.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    a great listen so far. ive never gotten into Kendrick to be honest. But this is quality music!!

Standout songs:

Blow My High
    Hiiipower
    Kush & Corinthians
    A.D.H.D

thats only so far, ive heard this twice! haha
  • waterproof
    edited July 2011
    Options

these's ? is dope ? , but he released it at the wrong time..........this EP is for the Autumn it got that autumn feel to it. I feelin the vibes on the track that's more of my style the emotions of the beats to set you in a zone and the lyrics is going to take you places, you have to play this with your head phones on or in your car stereo on a real late night summer night to appreciate this ? .... it's a cop for sure.

ADHD is going to be my autumn anthem when the hoodies, tims, and skullies come out, word up.... is it me or is Kendrick tappin into that mid 90's feel.... sounds like something that can be on OC Jewels album
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    these's ? is dope ? , but he released it at the wrong time..........this EP is for the Autumn it got that autumn feel to it. I feelin the vibes on the track that's more of my style the emotions of the beats to set you in a zone and the lyrics is going to take you places, you have to play this with your head phones on or in your car stereo on a real late night summer night to appreciate this ? .... it's a cop for sure.

ADHD is going to be my autumn anthem when the hoodies, tims, and skullies come out, word up.... is it me or is Kendrick tappin into that mid 90's feel.... sounds like something that can be on OC Jewels album

Glad you're feeling it... I don't care for the time of year, I'd rather have it now than have to wait lol.

I've only listened to it with my headphones, as I do with all my music... otherwise I don't feel it. Audiophile's FTW.

ADHD is ridiculously nice!

---

'And don't call me lyrical, 'cos really I'm just a ? that's evil and spiritual
    I know some rappers using big words to make their similes curve
    My simplest ? be more pivotal.'

The way that he flows that on 'Poe Man's Dream' is beyond dope.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yea i was riding around town bumpin this in the whip ? sounds so nice on the 12inch subs. mos def an album i cant stop bumpin and i jus bought hte new Del album and that pete rock & smiff & wessun album and i havent even listend to them yet.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    yea i was riding around town bumpin this in the whip ? sounds so nice on the 12inch subs. mos def an album i cant stop bumpin and i jus bought hte new Del album and that pete rock & smiff & wessun album and i havent even listend to them yet.

Lol. I'm on my 7th listen. I've literally not stopped playing it since I copped it. His flow is '? ' ridiculous'. And his beat choices are so nice and still fit his flows, it's potentially going to end up as his best EP. I never thought I'd ever say that about anything he released following the self-titled EP. But dude just puts out nothin' but greatness.... I'm an even bigger fan than I already was. At the price, it's a great deal.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Finally listened and I can safely say it didn't disappoint, good beats, great rapping, just generally a great release
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Finally listened and I can safely say it didn't disappoint, good beats, great rapping, just generally a great release

Yeah, can't knock it at all, I'm playing it through again, a great release... not sure if I'd rank it above his self titled EP... but I'm getting closer to saying that it is!!