jamie playing runaway slave in tarentino movie - this my be a bad move for black folk

Options
lordhonka2
lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Jamie Foxx has snagged the lead role in Quentin Tarantino's upcoming spaghetti western, "Django Unchained," Deadline reports, making the Oscar-winner the latest big name addition to the film.

Foxx will be a freed slave who teams with a bounty hunter -- to be played by Christoph Waltz, who won an Oscar in Tarantino's last film, "Inglorious Basterds" -- who sets out to rescue his wife from evil plantation owner Calvin Candie, according to the agency WME.

That role looks like it will go to Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays against type as, according to an earlier story, "a charming but ruthless proprietor of Candyland, a despicable club and plantation in Mississippi where female slaves are exploited as sex objects and males are pitted against each other in 'mandingo' style death matches."

Foxx won the Oscar for Best Actor in 2005 for his portrayal of Ray Charles in the biopic, "Ray," and was nominated the same year for Best Supporting Actor for "Collateral." He's since starred in "Dreamgirls" and "Miami Vice," among other films, and will next be seen in a supporting role in the R-rated comedy, "Horrible Bosses."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/jamie-foxx-in-django-unchained-tarantino_n_882631.html

I think tarentino is racist and this gonna be bad

Comments

• DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    If jamie plays a slave, he will ? that ? !.. I will probly be laughin the whole dam time, specially if he acts like the character he played on ali!
  • DRO
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ..waits for spike lee to start complainin!
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    its just this move has the potential to be some ol shucking and jiving
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm not crazy about the women's roles in this movie. I wonder what actresses are starring..
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    this whole "mandingo death match" it sounds like tarentino got a pass to bring every black stereotype to sthe screen
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Word? Fictional plots are damaging to you ? ?

Or do you just mean the actors who take the parts?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options

fictional plot have alway been hurtfull to black people

you can go all the way back to birth of a nation
  • ImSoReal
    ImSoReal Members Posts: 2,009
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I dont like tarentino and i refuse to watch his movies
  • 1of1
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    not me...
    but lets not act like there is no room for fuckery in this scenario...
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    fictional plot have alway been hurtfull to black people

you can go all the way back to birth of a nation

How do you two think this movie would make the image of blacks in the eyes of others any worse? Can it get any worse? Is that what you're worried about?

Also, have you heard of historical accounts that may include some of these activities, at least to an extent...or do you feel like the plot idea is completely far fetched?
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ? will be unintentionally hilarious
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    im just tired of black people having these subservient roles..theres this new movie called "The Help" thats dropping soon..and the black women are maids for the white women in the 1950s I thk...u can always count on movies like this every single year
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    How do you two think this movie would make the image of blacks in the eyes of others any worse? Can it get any worse? Is that what you're worried about?

Also, have you heard of historical accounts that may include some of these activities, at least to an extent...or do you feel like the plot idea is completely far fetched?

@the bolded- so cause some people think bad about us we should have no self worth

"if you knew what you were worth you would ask for more" --- dont remeber where i heard that but i know it makes sense

it has no real historical backing slave where at human work horses you dont fight you horse cause one of them could get damaged and cant work

plenty of evidence to show females used as sex object but not on a huge level. it sounds crazy but respectable whitemen didnt go to black ? houses
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    the-help-movie-poster.jpg

• robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Smoke U wrote: »
    Tarentino movies are always good. My only beef is that tarentino gets to green light a movie with such a description meanwhile Danny Glover has been struggling for years to get his Toussaint L'Ouverture movie green lit.

+151 on everything you said and a movie on L'Ouverture would be the ?
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Smoke U wrote: »
    Tarentino movies are always good. My only beef is that tarentino gets to green light a movie with such a description meanwhile Danny Glover has been struggling for years to get his Toussaint L'Ouverture movie green lit.

this is my point every movie about black heros is some ol stereotypical ? but a movie like the L'ouveture one cant get maid

where is the hannible movie

where is the harriet tubman movie

or patrice lumumba

can i get a black panter movie ( on a side note if you haven seen night catch us it pretty good the end is no so good but over all its ok)

where is the nat turner movie - not that i did it for the white women version that some dude maid a whike back

and you know this a tarentino movie so it gonna be 2 hours of white people saying ? .

i
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

Or do you just mean the actors who take the parts?

Im saying though... nevermind the crime.. soulja boy and skinny jeans.. thats cool.. but jamie playing a part ina movie as a slave.. context matters..

and the embrace of the niggerization by youth culture
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    And i am definitely waiting on a Hannibal Movie.
    If any of you have not read up on this king you should. ? Alexander and cesa's Fruity ? . Hannibal was the man
  • 1of1
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So do y'all have a problem w/ Jamie for taking the role, or the writers, director, etc.? Jamie didn't have to take this role.
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So do y'all have a problem w/ Jamie for taking the role, or the writers, director, etc.? Jamie didn't have to take this role.

the writer the director and jamie

but especially jamie - if the movie is ? up and racist he has seen the script i havent
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    And i am definitely waiting on a Hannibal Movie.
    If any of you have not read up on this king you should. ? Alexander and cesa's Fruity ? . Hannibal was the man

what if they made hannible the way they had made 300 that ? would be crazy
  • lordhonka2
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    I think Brad Pitt should play the runaway slave.

Wait if the slave is running away how the ? is that cooning? He's not playing a stay at home slave.

unless he playing catcher freeman or somthing its bad im tired of us not bieng the true hero why we got grow up in the hood or have a ? family or why cant we just be a tough muffuker. its rare that we just a bad dude who can whoop ass for the right reason ? all i can think of is shaft and cause im old i rember a show call hawk on tv but it was basically shaft for the late 80's
  • DRO
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think jamiee is aware of what he is doing and will do his best not to embarrase us
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    this is why we need more black film makers and screen writers. Just another move to exploit the struggle of blacks.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    its just this move has the potential to be some ol shucking and jiving

Cmon burh, its 2011 you think they would get away with it in such a blatant move?

No. The shukin n jivin comes when you DONT expect it, like a Gap commercial or some ?