How you gonna mandate health insurance and no public option?

Options
bornnraisedoffCMR
bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in The Social Lounge
And you cant blame this on the GOP. They said from the beginning they weren't going to vote for it unless they have input on the bill, Dems said FU, so there u go. I mean you have the moderates gettin deals for thier states and ? , but what good is it? This bill is literally fukking horrible. I absolutely opposed to any form of govt health care, but ? , i at least thought a brotha was gonna get some short term gain from it. This ? is ? cheeks!! LMAO. And progressives are just sittin back saying "? it, we'll take what we can get" This ? aint gonna benefit nobody but Blue Cross Blue Shield and Aetna!! lmao They are literally going to fine you if you dont purchase health insurance. WTF??

Comments

• perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Just add that fine to the rest off my bad credit.... I aint paying that sh*t unless I get hurt...
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I hear dat, but from what I read, the IRS will be the enforcer. So you have to prove that you puchase insurance on your tax form, if you dont, I guess they will fine you and if you know anything about the IRS, they are gonna get the money one way or another.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I hear dat, but from what I read, the IRS will be the enforcer. So you have to prove that you puchase insurance on your tax form, if you dont, I guess they will fine you and if you know anything about the IRS, they are gonna get the money one way or another.

? I been getting audited since 2007 when I came up on like 30 stacks and the IRS felt the need to say I aint report it on my taxes, lol... I spent the doe and they still aint getting paid! They can keep on asking and I will keep on not giving it to them. Funny how Gov entities all of a sudden started poppin up in my mail after I got a lil Money. Sh*t, I even got randomed by car insurance that year, lol
  • mephistopheles
    mephistopheles Members Posts: 97
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I still don't see what's wrong with a single-payer system. This is just a mess.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol, before the "upgrade", I remember a dude named 'Peter Schiff of the IC' arguing against a public option pretty hard.......
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Swiff like I said in my post, Im totally against any govt intervention into the free market ala health care system (even though its pretty much already 50/50 govt/private, which is why prices are so high) but damn, I figure if they are going to drive this country towards economic collapse, atleast a brotha would get some "free" health care out the deal for a few years. Im good I got health care so the mandate wont effect me, but my girl dont have insurance now we gonna have to become domestic partners, or even worse....GET MARRIED!!!! so she can get coverage. This ? ? sucks!!
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So pretty much this bill just means more money in the insurance companies pocket. great, just great. cmmon. what the hell is this? u will get fined if u refuse to patronize private insurers. ok, so what if u refuse to pay it, what will then be the next step?

that question wasn't rhetorical by the way. It was made to be responded to if anyone knows the answer
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The whole system is ? . Should be free education, health care ect. Now when I graduate in like a billion years, I gotta pay like 300k in student loans, have no health care and thats all cause I did things right.
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    Carlos Bruise-Her Banned Users Posts: 925
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I told ? from the jump that Obama had no plan for free healthcare. Nobody listens. Good thing my job has me covered
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    with no public option that bill is useless smh.
  • Swiffness!
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I figure if they are going to drive this country towards economic collapse, atleast a brotha would get some "free" health care out the deal for a few years.

Public Option was never going to be Free. Gov't insurance isn't free in Canada or France either. LOL @ you goin "? 's totally against my principles and it'll wreck the country but fuckit I want mines". Sorry, you'll just have to settle for getting Federal Subsidies instead.

Im good I got health care so the mandate wont effect me, but my girl dont have insurance now we gonna have to become domestic partners, or even worse....GET MARRIED!!!! so she can get coverage. This ? ? sucks!!

lmao quit livin in sin ? . Marriage is so sacred we can't let ? do it or it'll ruin Amurka. You heard Bill Cosby, her pops need to get old school and FORCE you to marry her. That good ol' days ? .

I still don't see what's wrong with a single-payer system. This is just a mess.

The problem is getting it passed into law.

jamacia wrote: »
    with no public option that bill is useless smh.

Once the public option was detached from medicare rates and limited to a small portion of the population, it became a pacifier for liberals. The Public Option was little more than a symbolic line in the sand after that.

That happened in June, btw.

Ounceman wrote: »
    So pretty much this bill just means more money in the insurance companies pocket.

No no no, it's a Complete Government Takeover of Health Care, remember? rofl

Ounceman wrote: »
    u will get fined if u refuse to patronize private insurers. ok, so what if u refuse to pay it, what will then be the next step?

The experience with Health Care mandates in Massachusetts is that its pretty loosely enforced. Anyone who can't afford to buy insurance with their new subsidies can get an hardship exemption. Anyone who has a "religious objection" (which can mean anything, frankly) can get an exemption. And the mandate doesn't begin until 2014.
  • Swiffness!
    edited January 2010
    Options
    CMR, this should give you hope. Single most Libertarian part of the bill:

In a bill that tries to think of everything, there’s a provision that tries to think of that, too. Section 1332, to be exact.

Section 1332 is titled “Waivers for State Innovation.” But that’s a terrible name. Call it “the law for the law of unintended consequences.” The idea is simple: If states think they can do better than the language and policies in this bill, and they can make a convincing case that they’re right, they can get a waiver exempting them from the legislation. They still get the money that would be owed to them, but they get to spend it their way.

There are some conditions, of course. The plans the states develop have to offer coverage and out-of-pocket spending protections that are at least as good as what the bill promises. They can’t increase the deficit, either. Beyond that? Go nuts. If a state wants to bring everyone into the exchanges, impose much harsher regulations on insurers, experiment with innovative insurance products, or pretty much anything else, it just needs to write up a proposal explaining why it would be better for people rather than worse. And if the tweak works, if the reforms function better in the absence of the mandate or in the presence of stronger regulations, then other states can copy the innovation.

“The federal government doesn’t have all the answers,” explains Sen. Ron Wyden, the author of Section 1332. “If states are exasperated or frustrated with one provision or another, this is a safety valve. It gives them running room.”

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2009/12/the_case_for_moving_forward.html

OMFG.......States Rights?
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited January 2010
    Options
    And you cant blame this on the GOP. They said from the beginning they weren't going to vote for it unless they have input on the bill, Dems said FU, so there u go. I mean you have the moderates gettin deals for thier states and ? , but what good is it? This bill is literally fukking horrible. I absolutely opposed to any form of govt health care, but ? , i at least thought a brotha was gonna get some short term gain from it. This ? is ? cheeks!! LMAO. And progressives are just sittin back saying "? it, we'll take what we can get" This ? aint gonna benefit nobody but Blue Cross Blue Shield and Aetna!! lmao They are literally going to fine you if you dont purchase health insurance. WTF??

I work in the pharmacy insurance industry. I have paid close attention to these bills as they have worked their way through Congress.

First the Republicans were brought in initially. Several bipartisan teams worked on bills however none produced anything. The Republicans took this bill as an opprotunity to 'break' Obama and deliver to him his 'Waterloo'. The quoted terms come from Republicans congressmen.

The 2 main points in the bill are 1 - Everyone must purchase insurance. There are hardship waivers and exception. This helps the insurance industry by bringing in more customers which do not need their service. The majority of the uninsured in the country are the young. At the age of 25 the only thing you need is injury insurance. The chances that a healthy 25 year will develop high blood pressure or diabetus is vanishingly small. As such every 25 year old on your platform generates positive cash flow. Insurance companies are about spreading risk over a large number of people. By increasing the number of people insurance without increasing risk allows companies to reduce premiums overall.

Point 2 - Pre-existing condition no longer preclude availibility of insurance. Our current insurance make up forced insurance companys to deny for pre-existing conditions. What would happen would be people would wait until they needed insurance before enrolling. Since they require people to carry insurance now this terrible rule has been outlawed. It was very destructive to 1,000s of americans families and I am glad to see it go.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    people can afford it. Just as sure as they can afford lotto tickets, mocha lattes, cheeseburgers, jewelry, and all these other nonessentials that plaque this country. This is a good thing. For one, maybe it will teach some what priorities really are, and secondly, it will teach them independence and to stop relying on the govt to come in and save the day. In these coming yrs, people will need to evaluate how they have lived and realize that we will not go back to those days ever again.
  • Dazed10
    Dazed10 Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This bill went from bad to horrible. So now they mandate people to have insurance that couldnt buy it before. Yea That makes a lot of sense! This is nothing but a tax on the middle class.Which WILL make them poorer. Whats worse is young people are going to pay more because the scale in which they use to to charge people. WHat funny is now he has bypass normal proceeding and Still might not get a bill this month. SO much for blaming republicans.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I actually stop keeping up with this a few months ago, but I see they removed the public option.

But I think the main thing about this bill is that it will help cut healthcare cost. I didnt expect this thing to be perfect but they needed to do something.
  • Dazed10
    Dazed10 Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i still don't see what's wrong with a single-payer system. This is just a mess.
    this ? right here