Howard blasts CONCACAF's Spanish ceremony

Options
northside7
northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Goalkeeper Tim Howard was still upset after the U.S. lost the Gold Cup final, but his strongest reaction had nothing to do with the four goals Mexico slotted in his net.

After El Tri's 4-2 victory at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., Howard blasted CONCACAF officials for conducting the title ceremony in Spanish.

"CONCACAF should be ashamed of themselves," Howard said. "I think it was a [expletive] disgrace that the entire postmatch ceremony was in Spanish. You can bet your ass that if we were in Mexico City, it wouldn't be all in English.

"But that's not why we lost the game. They've got some special players who put us in some bad situations."

In addition to crediting Mexico's talented playmakers for the victory, Howard was complimentary about the largely pro-Mexico crowd.

"It was a good crowd today," Howard said. "They were up for it, doing the wave, it was what we expected. We know it's going to be like this."

Nonetheless, Howard seemed visibly upset when officials tried to line the U.S. up for a team photo after the ceremony was conducted in Spanish.

Asked about it afterward, he said: "It never ceases to amaze me all that stuff."

Ben Spencer, a spokesman for CONCACAF, declined to comment about the situation.

After Michael Bradley and Landon Donovan scored to help the United States build a 2-0 lead, Mexico rallied behind two goals from Pablo Barrera to win its second straight Gold Cup title and sixth overall, qualifying El Tri for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, a preview of the 2014 World Cup.

"It's a great crowd and it's a great atmosphere," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "Obviously, the support that Mexico has on a night like tonight makes it a home game for them. But it's in the Rose Bowl, and we're proud to be here, certainly we have some fans, but the overwhelming amount of support [for Mexico] is something that we expected and as a team we understand it's part of what we've got to deal with tonight.

"It still makes for a great atmosphere."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/soccer/news/story?id=6705473

Watching it being played @ the Rose Bowl last night I wasn't surprised, it's in cali, mexicans love their soccer.

Dont understand the lack of support for the U.S., their in the finals and mofos aint showing up for the game, cant find it on television, no highlights lol & smh

Comments

• Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • the_apprentice
    the_apprentice Members Posts: 156
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I thought it was a [expletive] disgrace to give up 4 straight goals....
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I watched that ? and was surprised US went up 2-0 Mexico was killing our defense the entire game especially Dos Santos...but really though if the crowd is 80% Spanish and the Mexicans won I cant be mad at them doing it in Spanish...Howard acting like the US is a respected team
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    I watched that ? and was surprised US went up 2-0 Mexico was killing our defense the entire game especially Dos Santos...but really though if the crowd is 80% Spanish and the Mexicans won I cant be mad at them doing it in Spanish...Howard acting like the US is a respected team

The bold got me lmao.........
  • aijalon
    aijalon Members Posts: 919
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ? TIM HOWARD AND THE US TEAM.
    And I don't even ? with Mexican soccer. But will root against anyone who plays these colonial ? .
    He gave up a four spot and couldn't deal with it.
    Only thing better than watching Mexico hit them with 4 straight was to see this ? flopping around on the ground like a fish out of water. Only to look back and see Baby Ronaldo lob it into his net.