Nas vs 2pac

Options

Comments

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nas been listening to Pac all the way back to 2pacalypse and mentioned Trapped was a huge influence on his own career

Pac came on the mainstream scene in 1991, Nas came on the scene 1994

Pac as far as "solo young artists" was one of the first few to take it to the next level and set the bar for new generation of political rappers, social conscious music

ok man you can just stop right now .... no need for your delusional " i know what (insert rappers name) was thinking" posts about something they "said" or "did" that you have no proof of

nas came on the scene in 91 also .... just stop right now illmatic came out in early 1994. nas did two big appearances before that ... LOL smh
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nas been listening to Pac all the way back to 2pacalypse and mentioned Trapped was a huge influence on his own career

Pac came on the mainstream scene in 1991, Nas came on the scene 1994

Pac as far as "solo young artists" was one of the first few to take it to the next level and set the bar for new generation of political rappers, social conscious music

IMO Illmatic showed no Pac influence. I understand Nas listened to Pac's music(who didnt?) That doesnt automatically mean he took Pac's style in rap, that album(illmatic) is proof enough that he didnt.

If you have proof Id like to see it.

*Pac is #2 on my all time list so theirs absolutely no hate here*
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nas, yo far more advanced as far as emceeing goes.....
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »

I agree. I dont see the argument here but that doesnt mean he's a better artist then Nas.

Well all those things I stated bout Pac are what makes him the better artist cause they are all abilities that Nas lacks imho. Beat selection (Nas picked some of the worst in his career), songwriting, being praised in all different groups of listeners from mainstream to hip hop heads and so on.

Of course one could argue that Nas doesnt need mainstream acceptance cause he is viewed as one of the GOAT rappers by every hip hop head but we all know he tried to go mainstream after Illmatic and failed badly.He had one or two hits like If I Rule the World and I Can but that whole Escobar gimmick and bubble gum tracks like You Owe Me or Oochie Wally were ? .Pac didnt need to change his image or content to make hits.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ca21 wrote: »
    Better rapper: Nasir
    Better artist: Pac
    Say what you want about Pac but the man knew how to put a hot ass track together. He had the ear for beats, he knocked down classic hooks like it aint nothing, and he might be the rapper with the strongest mic presence ever. Pac was never as lyrical as Nas and Nas is superior in terms of technical skills and storystelling and all that but Pac always managed to make that music that could connect to the mainstream and to every rap purist at the same time (California Love, Life Goes On, All Eyez On Me, Picture Me Rollin...). Thats what made him so special imho.
    this ...............

Although I must say I hold Nas Higher then Pac in part because Nas is still here and growing musically but I feel Pac was a more complete artist then Nas while Nas is the True Embodiment of a MC. I hold them both equal as far as Poetic skill and ability...
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    makes enough sense 2 me lol

Your a idiot forreal, your basically saying that Pac birthed Nas style, the analogy would have worked if you had put Rakim in Pacs place.
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    most pac fans tend to be also big nas fans

something i noticed
  • garv
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well all those things I stated bout Pac are what makes him the better artist cause they are all abilities that Nas lacks imho. Beat selection (Nas picked some of the worst in his career), songwriting, being praised in all different groups of listeners from mainstream to hip hop heads and so on.

Of course one could argue that Nas doesnt need mainstream acceptance cause he is viewed as one of the GOAT rappers by every hip hop head but we all know he tried to go mainstream after Illmatic and failed badly.He had one or two hits like If I Rule the World and I Can but that whole Escobar gimmick and bubble gum tracks like You Owe Me or Oochie Wally were ? .Pac didnt need to change his image or content to make hits.

Is that what you count on mainstream appeal?

There a several rappers who have sold more than Nas, the likes of Biggie, Eminem, Nelly, Snoop, Jay, DMX, Ja Rule etc have all bettered Nas in sales, yet most would agree that most if any at all on that list are seeing Nas as rapper. Mainstream sucess is always a lame argument to use, and one that people revert to when they have nothing substantial to say, i don't give a ? about what a casual listener of Hip-Hop on the matter feels, were on a hip-hop board because we have a more profound interest in the genere than the avarage mainstream fan, therefore i will always take peoples opinion on here more seriously in regards to rap music than the average fan who hasn't even delved into either rappers discography.

Nas is better simply because he has the time to build a better discography, and thats it really they are both two of the best to ever do it, but Nas catalogue is better.
  • garv
    edited June 2011
    Options
    most pac fans tend to be also big nas fans

something i noticed

Yep i've noticed that too........
  • thesynthesis
    edited June 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    Is that what you count on mainstream appeal?

There a several rappers who have sold more than Nas, the likes of Biggie, Eminem, Nelly, Snoop, Jay, DMX, Ja Rule etc have all bettered Nas in sales, yet most would agree that most if any at all on that list are seeing Nas as rapper. Mainstream sucess is always a lame argument to use, and one that people revert to when they have nothing substantial to say, i don't give a ? about what a casual listener of Hip-Hop on the matter feels, were on a hip-hop board because we have a more profound interest in the genere than the avarage mainstream fan, therefore i will always take peoples opinion on here more seriously in regards to rap music than the average fan who hasn't even delved into either rappers discography.

Nas is better simply because he has the time to build a better discography, and thats it really they are both two of the best to ever do it, but Nas catalogue is better.

pacs didnt have a weak album, however he got better with each album

Nas after IWW went downhill I Am, and Nastradamus that QB album, Stillmatic brought back Nas, in essence it was a second career for Nas...he got to go at it as a young legend, many rappers dont have that chance

Then again he fell down the hill....

Nas himself got caught up in the mainstream side of things at the end of 1996, but unlike Pac who was all things to all men, people just wanted to hear the illmatic Nas....thus why Stillmatic was such a huge success
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thats BS. They all needed mainstream audience. Pac got his on some BS rap beef, Nas didnt. Thats why nobody says Rakim, KRS One or Masta Ace is the GOAT.
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nas..............

but pac has the better production and voice. Nas got a dry flow.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PAC far more diverse

better song maker = fact

how was pac more diverse? what made him more diverse
    hlf wrote: »
    I cant agree with that. How is Pac the better artist?

this is about personal preference imo. music is subjective so the talk about pac/nas making better music cannot be proven.
  • thesynthesis
    edited June 2011
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    how was pac more diverse? what made him more diverse

in terms of subject matter,

when nas has tried to switch it up he has been shunned

when nas made a song like ochi wali and pac made how do u want it, same type of song, only one is a certified classic

pac could make a song such as me and my girlfriend and nas made if i gave you power,,,both are classics

pac was one of the only mainstream rappers to put down classic songs in any category from conscious to club to gangsta, or for the ?

a ? can listen to dear mamma and switch over to trapped and come back listening to cali luv and then go and listen to keep ya head up, followed by all about u...

diversity
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Better rapper: Nasir
    Better artist: Pac

• YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nasir got this...he's the better lyricist and artist compared to Pac....
    and I don't know why people refuse to acknowledge that Pac is the "King of Fillers"....I never heard a Pac album I could play straight through....Nas is light-years then and now ahead of Pac.
  • thecomebacklegend
    thecomebacklegend Members Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    makaveli got this...he never made trash like "you owe me"
  • YamoleySensei
    edited June 2011
    Options
    makaveli got this...he never made trash like "you owe me"

Yeah, he made trash like "Whatz Ya Phone #"....."You owe me" >>>> that ?
  • runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    2pac...everyday allday no mater how many times you reword the same tired ass debate...? yo thread
  • thecomebacklegend
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    Yeah, he made trash like "Whatz Ya Phone #"....."You owe me" >>>> that ?

while nas made more trash like "Oochie Wally" and his bodyguard had a better verse
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2011
    Options
    0ba4f79d-c35c-4a65-a5c7-92055a170ba6.jpg.....................................
  • YamoleySensei
    edited June 2011
    Options
    while nas made more trash like "Oochie Wally" and his bodyguard had a better verse

Those wack ass Braveheart ? did "Oochie Wally" that only appears on a compilation album, not a "Nas" album...try again....
    Pac could never see Nas on his best day. FACT
  • thecomebacklegend
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    Those wack ass Braveheart ? did "Oochie Wally" that only appears on a compilation album, not a "Nas" album...try again....
    Pac could never see Nas on his best day. FACT

pac never released a trash album while he was alive while nas released that "Nastradamus" garbage
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    in terms of subject matter,

when nas has tried to switch it up he has been shunned

when nas made a song like ochi wali and pac made how do u want it, same type of song, only one is a certified classic

pac could make a song such as me and my girlfriend and nas made if i gave you power,,,both are classics

pac was one of the only mainstream rappers to put down classic songs in any category from conscious to club to gangsta, or for the ?

a ? can listen to dear mamma and switch over to trapped and come back listening to cali luv and then go and listen to keep ya head up, followed by all about u...

diversity

if i ruled the world? black girl lost? i gave you power? is nas showing diversity.
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nas and Pac are basically the same type of artists- multifaceted, versatile, gifted but contradictory street poets/commentators.

The only difference is Nas does it at a higher lyrical level than pac while Pac was more emotive than Nas.

Depends on which u prefer. I prefer Nas for his creativity, lyrical content and relate more to his music.
    Nas could state somthing a simple in a completely different way-
    Like 'Dimes giving ? ' : social commentary doused in everyday street language, but you learn a new word in the process.