Serena and Venus Williams

Options
S.jR.
S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
williams-sisters-01.jpg

Is it me or do these women not get their proper respect?

Comments

• Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited June 2011
    Options
    they do they are always praised.... to bad they don't care about tennis anymore
  • S.jR.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Noticed this old article by Rick Reilly..
    What if I told you about two white brothers from a trailer park on the tattooed side of the tracks? Their father decides -- against all logic -- to teach them a rich man's sport, golf, even though he's a complete chop himself. They become great on the weedy public courses, turn pro and dominate the sport. Just wipe the Tour up. Golf harrumphs in disbelief.

Then the two brothers grow disinterested with golf and get into motorcycle building. They nearly stop playing altogether.Then they grow disinterested with being disinterested and decide, What the hell, let's go thump again. So they crush all new saps, until it's obvious nearly every major is going to be won by one or the other.

Preposterous?

Well, change their color to black, their sex to female and their sport to tennis, and you have the Williams sisters, who now have 18 majors between them -- 11 for Serena and seven for Venus. Eighteen! If this were golf, Serena would be tied with Walter Hagen for third, and Venus would be tied with Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead and others for seventh. From one family, one coach, one house in Compton. It's the single most underplayed story in American sports in the past 25 years. Where's their postage stamp?

Do you realize a Williams has six of the past 11 women's majors? That they've outlasted not one generation of rivals but two? Martina Hingis, Justine Henin, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati. All gone.

There has never been a sibling combo like this in American sports history. Baseball's DiMaggios, Waners, Alous? Not even close. Skiing's Mahres? No way. Football's Mannings? Please. One championship each?

It's the most underplayed story in sports.
    The Williams sisters are bigger than sports. Their achievements rank with any set of sisters in American history, along with the Stillwells -- Revolutionary War heroines -- and the Andrews Sisters, the biggest American singing act in the 1940s. The only difference is the Williamses are in their second decade of greatness, going on a third.

The problem is deciding which one you want to have win the next major. It's no good just throwing your hands up and saying, "It's going to be a Williams." You have to pick one. You can't root for both the Yankees and the Red Sox, the Clintons and the Bushes, Coke and Pepsi. You have to choose: Venus or Serena. They're two entirely different people with entirely different personalities.

Venus is like grass courts, steady and calm. Serena is like hardcourts, slick and fast. Venus kills you with her forehand. Serena kills you with her backhand. Venus takes too few chances. Serena takes too many. When they screw up, Venus glares, Serena smiles.

Venus talks about nothing but tennis. Serena talks about anything but tennis. Serena will do 45 minutes on the TV show she's writing or her book that's coming out (On the Line, in September) or her last Twitter tweet. To wind Venus up, ask her about equal prize money.

As kids, Venus was the one you let babysit. Serena was the one you got babysat. They're still like that. Venus is 29 going on 40. Serena is 27 going on 18. Once, at Wimbledon, when Serena was confused about what to do in front of royalty, Venus whispered into her ear, "Curtsy."

Venus keeps most of it in, and Serena lets most of it out. Or don't you remember those swimsuit pictures? Venus is a reader. Serena is a reality-TV freak. Venus dates a golfer, Hank Kuehne. Serena dates a rapper, Common. Are there two more opposite dates?

They're both fashionistas, but Serena likes to push it: the Lycra catsuit, the denim skirts with boots, the white trench coat. And that's just stuff she's worn on the court.

Serena's the better player, but that's like saying Paris is the richer Hilton. They're both a NASA space launch past everybody else right now. Their only legit competition is the Russians, and lately the sisters have made them look like weekend coaches at the Moscow Country Club.

Go ahead. Take your time picking your Williams. Thanks to their dad's brilliant long-term coaching strategy -- and their desire to step back from tennis to study fashion and acting -- their minds and legs are fresh. They're not burned-out (Capriati, Hingis, Henin), and they're not worn-out (Rafael Nadal). They plan on kicking ? through the 2012 Olympics and maybe, they say, clear through the 2016 Games.

But if somebody doesn't throw them a ticker-tape parade pretty soon, I'm running for Congress.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    id ? venus to get to serena
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What more do you want them to say about them? They get a ton of attention and coverage for every event. They are pretty much universally loved in a sport where Blacks haven't competed much, and unlike someone like Tiger they don't shy away from their blackness at all. Hell, they are so good, that the some of the legends of women's tennis get mad at them because they don't do as much as they could. Think about that for a second, some of the older heads in the tennis world get annoyed because they believe Serena and Venus could smash the game even more than they have and actually want to see them do just that. Serena and Venus are the two biggest black female athletes in the country and probably even the world. How much more can you praise them?
  • S.jR.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Seems like their lumped into an area of suppose to accomplish something, instead of praised for winning.. Idk, only reason I brought it up was because I seen people discrediting Serena connecting her to doping but I personally never heard of that.
  • AK.aPHillYisILL
    AK.aPHillYisILL Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »
    williams-sisters-01.jpg

Is it me or do these women not get their proper respect?

? ? I wanna get in Serena's ass!
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Seems like their lumped into an area of suppose to accomplish something, instead of praised for winning.. Idk, only reason I brought it up was because I seen people discrediting Serena connecting her to doping but I personally never heard of that.

Well, whenever you don't live up to your potential, people are going to note that. It's just par for the course. Both of them too breaks and lapses of focus during their primes, so as dominant as they have been, they could have been even more dominant. I don't think people bash them for that, but they do acknowledge it.

And I never got the obsession with them as sex symbols. Yeah, Serena's got an ass like a horse, but she's got a face like one too.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    it's women's tennis. When was the last time any female tennis player got any respect for anything besides coming out of the closet

serena will go down as one of the best ever and venus will go down as a great player in her own right.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The Hacker wrote: »
    id ? venus to get to serena

? venus can catch it. Caught her downtown one time. I was right behind her when she was buying something from a street cart, she had a nice bubble in them spandex. Tall as ? tho. Serena ass aint wanna get out the car.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Serena could have been better. And that's saying a lot.
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Venus is ? , Serena got potential to be a Bad ? but she needs a personal stylist cuz she dresses like a bumbass hood chick.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    They could both get it. I'd even wife Serena. Phat ass, money, NFL team ownership, the genes to create world-class athletic sons -- ? that's my prototype. lol
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    ? venus can catch it. Caught her downtown one time. I was right behind her when she was buying something from a street cart, she had a nice bubble in them spandex. Tall as ? tho. Serena ass aint wanna get out the car.

id hit it on compton
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ill smash both!!!!! but serena's ass would get most of the trashin
  • S.jR.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    To think I didn't post the black outfit Serena wore to avoid it turning into an iLL pix thread, Smh should've known better.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The Hacker wrote: »
    id hit it on compton

*Snoop voice*

"I'ma beat it in Compton and smash it in Mi-ami."
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    it's women's tennis. When was the last time any female tennis player got any respect for anything besides coming out of the closet

serena will go down as one of the best ever and venus will go down as a great player in her own right.

Can't cosign this sentiment. Tennis is probably the one sport, other than gymnastics, where the women's version is as popular and in some cases even more popular than the men's.
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    When serena retires the ratings of womens tennis will go down. Venus williams is the most overated chick lookswise . she looks like suger ray leonard
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    they'd be the undisputed greatest if they cared about tennis more than they cared about their brand
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    To think I didn't post the black outfit Serena wore to avoid it turning into an iLL pix thread, Smh should've known better.

Serena_Catsuit.jpg