So is Royce Da 5'9" living proof that...

Options
da champ
da champ Members Posts: 1,091
edited June 2011 in The Reason
if Eminem wasn't white he would sell way less records?

After listening to Bad Meets Evil, I'm convinced that they're damn near the same rapper (and there were quite a few instances on that CD where Royce outspit Em IMO). It makes me wonder why Royce didn't get the shot that Eminem did (I'm guessing possibly BECAUSE Em got a proper shot and they're so similar, Royce was denied his) and why more people haven't gravitated towards Royce's work.

Comments

• dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    people love being fed the same ? day in and out, never change what they do for the most part, cuz it is safe. that is most people in general
  • myles@thisisfif
    myles@thisisfif Members Posts: 274
    edited June 2011
    Options
    well they are bad meets evil, naturally they feed off each other and its a duo project so its going to be the same direction and mood

Royce didnt wanna wait for Em to finish his tour and put him on thats why Royce didnt get the same shot as eminem

royce took his own chance and deal towards a diff lable and he had a good album, but he didnt do the work and continue like eminem did.

eminem had 3-4 good albums in 5 years or less

only other i know that done that ? is DMX
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I agree that race played a factor here. But other than that, Em and Royce are the same MC travelling two different paths. They were the same MC since Bad Meets Evil from the SSLP. Since then, Em has grown up with his listeners. He came a long way from "Just Don't Give A ? " to "Spacebound". Royce on the other hand, aside from a few introspective songs here and there, is stuck in a loop that was designed for his failure. He's definitely progressed lyrically and stylewise, which I think makes him better than Em, but he's still the same rapper from 99. Same goes for D12. They were all equally skilled at one point (cept Biz), but Em has evolved so much that they look awkward around each other now. Em and Royce are like two frat boys that you know where one graduates college, gets married and has kids, while the other takes the 7 year plan, drops out, gets a job at a warehouse and blows his whole check going to parties trying to relive the glory days. People knock Em for making a pop album with Recovery, but that's the space he's in now and not afraid of going there, which makes him able to still drop singles a whole year after the album came out.
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2011
    Options
    if em was black he would be royce.
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited June 2011
    Options
    da champ wrote: »

After listening to Bad Meets Evil, I'm convinced that they're damn near the same rapper (and there were quite a few instances on that CD where Royce outspit Em IMO). It makes me wonder why Royce didn't get the shot that Eminem did (I'm guessing possibly BECAUSE Em got a proper shot and they're so similar, Royce was denied his) and why more people haven't gravitated towards Royce's work.

I somewhat agree that their styles are super-similar, and as an Em fan I love that they bring the best out of ech other. Having said that, Royce isn't as funny or charismatic as Marshall
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited June 2011
    Options
    da champ wrote: »

come on fam u answer;d ya own question royce is a housenigga & he rapz like a white boy like feminem on sum shock value ? that nobody givez 2 shitz about thatz y his last solo lp sold 4k da 1st wk! lol
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    come on fam u answer;d ya own question royce is a housenigga & he rapz like a white boy like feminem on sum shock value ? that nobody givez 2 shitz about thatz y his last solo lp sold 4k da 1st wk! lol

Rofl.

Royce is a awkward character, I saw a corny video were he had rhinestones on his bandanna, he seem like a square.

Emenim sells because he's white and he cross-dresses for his fans, if Royce were white he'd be Emenim.
  • gee757
    edited June 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Rofl.

Royce is a awkward character, I saw a corny video were he had rhinestones on his bandanna, he seem like a square.

Emenim sells because he's white and he cross-dresses for his fans, if Royce were white he'd be Emenim.

lol fam that housenigga royce let that WACK housenigga fabby from da bay/coontown ? on him n NY royce is a white marshall thatz y he will neva sell cuz that ? is not hot n da blk community lollll
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was gonna say he can't make songs for women to listen to, but when I think about it Eminem never really could either until he hooked up with Rihanna and I've heard a few smooth joints from Royce before so maybe it really is about race.

Death is Certain is a classic.
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Em being white has everything to do with his popularity. However, if both of them were white and their style/progression stayed the same, I still think Em would have garnered the larger fanbase due to his antics. Inversely, if both were black I think Royce would be the more popular of the two on the underground level. Em's "charisma" seems manufactured and forced.

I really need to see Royce show a spark on his next solo. BME didn't do it for me and Street Hop was lackluster in comparison to an album like Death Is Certain.

P.S. In before Shadyteam says its because Royce cant sing hahahaha.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Have to agree w/ the thread. I honestly never even gave Royce a chance until the Slaughterhouse album. That was the first time I actually stopped and really paid attention to him as a lyricist. Dude is dope and he definitely spits just as hard as Em.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

It's obvious your ? never listened to a 5'9" album to make such an idiotic statement....
  • Gee_has_hot_picture
    Gee_has_hot_picture Members Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    eminem albums only still doing big numbers because of SSLP to encore run

eminem is a shell off himself on this album, hes amazing for 2011 standards, but hes fell off since his early days(this also applys to Jay, most of nas stuff, though hes aged well in music imo)

@ T/S royce was never as good as em in early career, like come on, IC rumors like J cole next big thing or MMG being next Young Money

btw how is Ems gimmicks any different then Ice Cubes using Gangsta music as a gimmick when hes never spent a day in jail back in the day(dont know about later in his day)
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    eminem albums only still doing big numbers because of SSLP to encore run

eminem is a shell off himself on this album, hes amazing for 2011 standards, but hes fell off since his early days(this also applys to Jay, most of nas stuff, though hes aged well in music imo)

@ T/S royce was never as good as em in early career, like come on, IC rumors like J cole next big thing or MMG being next Young Money

btw how is Ems gimmicks any different then Ice Cubes using Gangsta music as a gimmick when hes never spent a day in jail back in the day(dont know about later in his day)

Couldn't agree more w/ the bolded. Lyrically Em is still a beast, but the whole screaming voice that he's been doing gets annoying after a while. Sometimes it doesn't really fit the vibe or context of the song.
  • gee757
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    It's obvious your ? never listened to a 5'9" album to make such an idiotic statement....

i aint sayin royce rapz all shock value but da MAJORITY of his ? is & thatz y he dont selll cuz thatz WACK!
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i aint sayin royce rapz all shock value but da MAJORITY of his ? is & thatz y he dont selll cuz thatz WACK!

Royce missed the bus..He fell out with EM early on and missed out on a potential gold plaque or two in the early 00's.
    Aside from that? Yeah being black got something to do with it. Also being from Detroit as well, where most rappers are hella slept on, no matter how good or bad....
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Bubba Sparxx and Asher Roth would beg to differ
  • gee757
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Royce missed the bus..He fell out with EM early on and missed out on a potential gold plaque or two in the early 00's.
    Aside from that? Yeah being black got something to do with it. Also being from Detroit as well, where most rappers are hella slept on, no matter how good or bad....

lol@ royce missed the bus.,.,smh so itz safe 2 say da blk artistz on shady got gold & platinum plaquez cuz da WHITE BOY! lol & that ? makez sense cuz clownz like CUUURLY, D12 & OBIE TRICE all got gold & platinum albumz cuz da white boyz shady STAMP so yeah royce wouldve had like 2 plaquez on shady!
  • musicology1985
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol@ royce missed the bus.,.,smh so itz safe 2 say da blk artistz on shady got gold & platinum plaquez cuz da WHITE BOY! lol & that ? makez sense cuz clownz like CUUURLY, D12 & OBIE TRICE all got gold & platinum albumz cuz da white boyz shady STAMP so yeah royce wouldve had like 2 plaquez on shady!

yeah, he's the CEO and yeah, he happens to be white so you're right. from 2000-2004 there was still enough market share for anyone associated with a hot star with moderate to great ability to go gold or platinum. That market share decreased in 2005 and has ever since. so, if Royce had dropped two joints under Shady in that period, I have no doubt that he would've sold a million by now. Same thing Jay (for Bleek), Nelly, Kanye and 50 did for their crews in that era.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Mwoah, this was just a quick EP, the album is gonna be better (I hope)
    There where some good tracks on this one, but hey...they can do better
  • gee757
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yeah, he's the CEO and yeah, he happens to be white so you're right. from 2000-2004 there was still enough market share for anyone associated with a hot star with moderate to great ability to go gold or platinum. That market share decreased in 2005 and has ever since. so, if Royce had dropped two joints under Shady in that period, I have no doubt that he would've sold a million by now. Same thing Jay (for Bleek), Nelly, Kanye and 50 did for their crews in that era.

i understand wat ya sayin but COME ON u know damn well if D12 & OBIE wasnt on shady they wouldnt have sold 100 copyz woodface is da only 1 that couldve atleast sold 100k wit out da white boy! lol but royce is still doin good on shady i guess wit him sellin 160k da 1st wk instead of 4k on his solo & 50k wit slaughterhouse
  • musicology1985
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i understand wat ya sayin but COME ON u know damn well if D12 & OBIE wasnt on shady they wouldnt have sold 100 copyz woodface is da only 1 that couldve atleast sold 100k wit out da white boy! lol

We're both saying the same thing, but IT'S EM'S JOB TO BRING ATTENTION TO HIS ARTISTS. THAT'S HIS JOB...Just like it was for the others. Royce wasn't there then so yeah, he missed out.
  • gee757
    edited June 2011
    Options
    We're both saying the same thing, but IT'S EM'S JOB TO BRING ATTENTION TO HIS ARTISTS. THAT'S HIS JOB...Just like it was for the others. Royce wasn't there then so yeah, he missed out.

but katz like d12 & obie only can sell wit feminem they wouldnt sell ? wit katz like j, nelly, ye or woodface lol just like if royce was sign;d 2 j, nelly, ye or woodface & drop;d a album wit them they wouldnt sell 160k da 1st wk that ? would flop feminem name made bad meetz evil sell llol
  • musicology1985
    edited June 2011
    Options
    but katz like d12 & obie only can sell wit feminem they wouldnt sell ? wit katz like j, nelly, ye or woodface lol just like if royce was sign;d 2 j, nelly, ye or woodface & drop;d a album wit them they wouldnt sell 160k da 1st wk that ? would flop feminem name made bad meetz evil sell llol

EVERY TOP RAPPER HAS A CERTAIN TYPE OF RAPPER THAT SUCCEEDS UNDER HIM. That's only natural....But you nitpicking and trolling so I'm a leave it alone..EM's still a good CEO.

Bleek ain't did ? after dame and jay and the same applies to nelly's guys. U just a troll.
  • gee757
    edited June 2011
    Options
    EVERY TOP RAPPER HAS A CERTAIN TYPE OF RAPPER THAT SUCCEEDS UNDER HIM. That's only natural....But you nitpicking and trolling so I'm a leave it alone..EM's still a good CEO.

Bleek ain't did ? after dame and jay and the same applies to nelly's guys. U just a troll.

lol@nitpickin & trollin..,