Has anyone saved or revitalised as many careers as Kanye?

Options
CeLLaR-DooR
CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Reason
Jay-Z...Common...Twista...

Mos Def and Lloyd Banks might be next...

Comments

• poopoo
    poopoo Members Posts: 212
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Il go with Dr. Dre but Lloyd Banks saved his own career (5 and better series, BBB), Kanye just jumped ship.
  • poopoo
    poopoo Members Posts: 212
    edited June 2011
    Options
    But not too many other than Dre and Ye
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You might laugh, but Salaam Remi:

The Fugees- irrelevant until the Salaam Remi produced "Nappy Headz" remix and he also had the single to their biggest album in "Fugee-La" for The Score

Nas- Yes, Stillmatic was Nas's ressurection, but "Made You Look" and "I Can" are Nas's biggest hits. He was a major contributor to ? 's Son which made critics recognize that Nas's comeback wasn't a fluke.

A few other producers:

The Neptunes: Snoop Dogg (gave Snoop new identity after No Limit), LL Cool J (they gave him his first platinum album in years with 10)

Timbaland- Fabolous ("Make Me Better" was the single that pushed From Nothing To Something gold after Fab had been away from the game for 2.5 years and a label switch), Lil' Kim ("Jump Off" was Kim's comeback after Notorious K.I.M.),
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yea Kanye got it...

i wouldnt say he revived jay-Z's career but he did help Jay-Z (along with Just Blaze) respect from the critics with a classic in the blueprint.

Common
    Pusha T
    Twista

and rumored to do the same thing with Mos Def, Nas, etc....
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    the Neptunes have a good arguement too.

NORE (Super Thug)

Snoop(Beautiful)

Mystikal (Shake it fast & Danger)

Justin Timberlake (first album)
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yea Kanye got it...

i wouldnt say he revived jay-Z's career but he did help Jay-Z (along with Just Blaze) respect from the critics with a classic in the blueprint.

Common
    Pusha T
    Twista

and rumored to do the same thing with Mos Def, Nas, etc....

since hov came out of retirement in 06' Jay-Z life support = Kanye West...
  • georgia boi
    edited July 2011
    Options

In terms of success Jay Z has had Kingdom Come and American Gangster be successful post-retirement. Both albums had either one (KC) or no (AG) Kanye productions. Kanye's been instrumental in Jay's career, but Jay has been both critically and commercially successful without Kanye.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lmao at Ye saving Jay career.
    Dude hasnt saved anyones but maybe Common.
    And dude still dont have much of a career except shows maybe and features on GOOD music
  • georgia boi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    the Neptunes have a good arguement too.

NORE (Super Thug)

Snoop(Beautiful)

Mystikal (Shake it fast & Danger)

Justin Timberlake (first album)

I forgot about N.O.R.E. If we're counting Pop stars too, then Timbaland's definitely up there:

Nelly Furtado- the album before the Timbaland helmed Loose didn't do as well as the album before and it paled in comparison to Loose in terms of commercial success.

Aaliyah- She'd disappeared from the scene after her debut and she split with producer R. Kelly, but returned to R&B with the Timbaland helmed One In A Million

Justin Timberlake- "Cry Me A River" was the difference between teeny-bopper boy band Justin and solo bonafied Pop star JT

Fabolous- the Timbaland produced "Make Me Better" became Fab's biggest single after leaving Atlantic for Def Jam and not dropping an album for nearly 3 years.

Lil' Kim- "Jump Off" was Kim's comeback single after being gone after 3 years
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg have saved/revitalized their own careers more times than Kanye has anyone else's.
  • 2nPac
    2nPac Members Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Timbaland has gotta be up there...

NM...I see georgia boi already mentioned him
  • Hollywood Cold
    Hollywood Cold Members Posts: 37
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You might laugh, but Salaam Remi:

The Fugees- irrelevant until the Salaam Remi produced "Nappy Headz" remix and he also had the single to their biggest album in "Fugee-La" for The Score

Nas- Yes, Stillmatic was Nas's ressurection, but "Made You Look" and "I Can" are Nas's biggest hits. He was a major contributor to ? 's Son which made critics recognize that Nas's comeback wasn't a fluke.

A few other producers:

The Neptunes: Snoop Dogg (gave Snoop new identity after No Limit), LL Cool J (they gave him his first platinum album in years with 10)

Timbaland- Fabolous ("Make Me Better" was the single that pushed From Nothing To Something gold after Fab had been away from the game for 2.5 years and a label switch), Lil' Kim ("Jump Off" was Kim's comeback after Notorious K.I.M.),
    Man I didnt know half of this ? . Thanks for the info fam!
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lmao at Ye saving Jay career.
    Dude hasnt saved anyones but maybe Common.
    And dude still dont have much of a career except shows maybe and features on GOOD music

Are you ? and stupid ?
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I have to agree with Timbalanad and Kanye puttng a lot of folks on and saving their careers.

I disagree with the Neptunes saving Nore's career. You can say he helped put them on the map b/c "Superthug" was their first big/known beat.
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kanye did save jayz ass

when bp2 dropped it was knayes idea to get beyonce on the me and my girlfriend song, he thought of the concept while he was driving down the chi listening to 7 days theory and he went and told his idea to jay

anyways jay had a pop record and beyonce helped jays career

so kanye and beyonce have aided jays life support machine in many ways...
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

I swear man, y'all ? ? me with this dumb ?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    Are you ? and stupid ?

lol..lmao...I understand stupid...But ? ?
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lol..lmao...I understand stupid...But ? ?

ill let him explain
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kanye did save jayz ass

when bp2 dropped it was knayes idea to get beyonce on the me and my girlfriend song, he thought of the concept while he was driving down the chi listening to 7 days theory and he went and told his idea to jay

anyways jay had a pop record and beyonce helped jays career

so kanye and beyonce have aided jays life support machine in many ways...

"Me & My Girlfriend" probably hurt Jay more than saving him.

I agree that Kanye's production on BP1 helped save Jay Z among hiphop fans and critics, but Jay Z was going to be a success in the public eyes regardless.

Even if just Blaze did every beat on BP1, JayZ would've still had a career.

Kanye did help Twista stay relevant with his production even though I think Twista is a much better rapper than Ye and Traxsta's production is better.
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay z was coming of 2 Straight WACK albums in vol 2/vol3 before the blueprint
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay z was coming of 2 Straight WACK albums in vol 2/vol3 before the blueprint

They're also Jay-z two biggest and most successful albums, and neither is ? wack. Ya'll stay on some revisionist ? !

Common and Twista is the only dude Kanye has revitalize!
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    They're also Jay-z two biggest and most successful albums, and neither is ? wack. Ya'll stay on some revisionist ? !

Volume 2 and Volume 3 boosted Jay profile because Volume 1 and Reasonable Doubt were flops . Dynasty he had hit records as well.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited July 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Volume 1 is the only good volume, 2/3 have a combined 4-7 good tracks on them period. His sell out phase
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And volume 1 ain't even that nice.