If you've EVER read "The Autobiography of Malcom X", come discuss some things...

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
I'm just finishing up the book for the first time (better late than never, I suppose). Now, having already seen the movie, I went into the book expecting Malcolm to near-mirror what Spike has put down.

I was wrong. REALLY wrong.

They say this book will change your life. I'm not sure if Malcolm's first-person account of his journeys changed me, then rather reinforced what I already knew...especially when it came to black people in this country.

This book is sad, in a way. If you understood him referencing about the plight of the "brainwashing" black person in America, you'll know why this irony gets very real.

But, what were your thoughts/feelings/convictions about this piece of literature?

Comments

• American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i've read the book and seen the film countless times.

all things considered, i think spike did a wonderful job with the movie.

most of the major events are there, reading the book does give X's story a bit more depth, though
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I read that book in 1988, back when I was being militant and ? , book affected me a great deal. I sill have a copy of it to this day.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i aint read the autobiography.....i straight up read THE biography.. 400+ pages my ? ... i was in 10th grade... i advise yall to read it too... blew my ? mind.. it gets more into detail
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was discussing the book with my cousin a few weeks ago.

By the way, I hate to get off topic from a good thread.

But if malcolm X was to be a rapper wouldnt he look like this? lol just saying.

• Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I read that book in 1988, back when I was being militant and ? , book affected me a great deal. I sill have a copy of it to this day.

This ^^.
    Minus the '88 part. You have a few years on me Hassan.
    The book>>>
    I have vivid images in my mind of exact moments reading this book in my old room when I was younger. Those are some serious memories. Great read, really took me there to that exact place in time.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    *Ashamed he has the book and never finished reading it post* :(
    I gotta step my militant game back up.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Read it in 12th grade (07)
    I dont remember how i used to think before reading that book. its scary
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Great Book

Alotta knowledge in there
  • laroc
    laroc Members Posts: 1,000
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Must read for any intelligent man of African descent!
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I thought he was bein a ? about the whole Elijah Muhammad scenario.....it made me dislike him just a little bit. ? ex con and hustler gon be mad at theboss cause the boss got ? and cars....Malcolm still is my dude, but that part of him was ? made, and I didn't like the ? ? .....Like I said before, he should've stayed in his place whe it came to Elijah Muhammad. He seemed like he wanted to take Elijah Muhammads spot, he kept listening to his wife whom he barely even ? liked, man he got on my nerves in the ? book.

I thought him hating his wife, and being mad at Elijah Muhammad for ? multiple women, and the ? ? he went through( i don't fully remember the details) all being tied together.

It made me like Farrakahn and Elijah Muhammad more.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I thought he was bein a ? about the whole Elijah Muhammad scenario.....it made me dislike him just a little bit. ? ex con and hustler gon be mad at theboss cause the boss got ? and cars....Malcolm still is my dude, but that part of him was ? made, and I didn't like the ? ? .....Like I said before, he should've stayed in his place whe it came to Elijah Muhammad. He seemed like he wanted to take Elijah Muhammads spot, he kept listening to his wife whom he barely even ? liked, man he got on my nerves in the ? book.

I thought him hating his wife, and being mad at Elijah Muhammad for ? multiple women, and the ? ? he went through( i don't fully remember the details) all being tied together.

WTF, smh, really???
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Excellent book, very thought provoking, and I always highly recommend it. Shows his personal evolution, warts and all, and showcases his ridiculous intelligence and equally ridiculous religiosity.
  • Mister B.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't want to give my full account of everything till I'm finished. (I'm at the last chapter, when he returns home from his pilgrimage in Mecca).

From what I gather, what makes this sad and full of irony is that until he broke free of the NOI, he seemed to be more brainwashed than the "American Christian ? " he went so hard on during his first years in the NOI.

And this book makes me despise Farrakhan even more. I haven't listened to more than two words to that guy since that ? farce that was the "Million Man March".
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

u are a ? idiot
  • Mister B.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    NO

He went to mecca and met REAL Muslims not that NOI ? farce of a religion

He saw that his fellow muslims were light skinned,some were white some were arab etc they broke bread,prayed at the same temples and they were his brothers

Noi Taught hate and he saw what real islam was about

I aint gonna say the rest cuz you still reading

THAT's why I said it was "ironic".....
  • edwardnigma
    edited June 2011
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    u are a ? idiot

No You are ? fool, and also a follower. You are a yes man with no opinion of your own. Your information is force fed to you and you walk the line. I'm not like that.

I have Malcolm X speeches, Mumia Abu Jamal Speeches, Farrakahn Speeches, Khalid Muhammad, Huey P. Newton on my muthafucking playlist.I'm up on my revolutionaries and their doctrines.

Now.

Number one if you agree with the views of Malcolm X then you agree with the Views of Elijah Muhammad.

After everything he says in his speeches, he states as I was taught to me or as I've been told by "The Honorable Elijah Muhammad".

It wasn't his own words that made him famous, it was the words of Elijah Muhammad.

For the man who brought up Elijah and Muslim Women. For one, Elijah Muhammad was a man and a better man then Malcolm.

If this is the case Malcolm X would have hated King David but in the Bible King David is Gods Favorite despite his faults.

Elijah was never a criminal, never a ? , never known for running numbers. Elijah is the one who planted the seed of knowledge that changed Malcolms life. Elijah Muhammad walked a better and more disciplined path then Muhammad from the Quran(do you read it or you just read about X and now you think your up on something?)

The bottonline is this without Elijah Muhammmad, Malcolm X would be known as a 2 bit criminal named red.

Also its very Clear Malcolm X did not like his wife. He was only married to her for the sake of the NOI and later his children.

Do you know how many letters he wrote to Elijah Muhammad about how he no longer wanted to be with the woman.

? the guy was a ? Headache if your looking from the perspective of ELijah Muhammad.

Dont you dare call me an idiot you ? imbecile. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

IF I had a leader who saved my life. As a man if his only plight is adultery, I can look the other way.

Thats why I respect and love Farrakahn more because he's a better soldier, a better friend
    and a more grounded man.

Now he's the leader, that s how you do things. He's even changed some things. This man did his former leader justice.

? off and have our own opinion before you come at me. You're nowhere near ready for my mind.

What if Elijah looked away from Malcolm X and decided he wasn't good enough because he use to be a criminal?

Critical Thinking. Obviously not all of us can do it.
  • edwardnigma
    edited June 2011
    Options
    If you like Malcolm X and his speeches then you like Elijah Muhammad. Period.

If you say no, you are not making sense. It's like saying you like Lil Kim's first album but saying you don't like how Notorious Big writes. This jus doesn't make sense.

Elijah is the author of his words. This is a fact, whether you accept it or not.

When you listen to Ballot or the Bullet, thats Malcolms Voice, it's his passion, his charisma, but guess what...those are Elijah Muhammads thoughts and intentions and words. Thus he would say "AS I've been told by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad". This can not be denied.

What do you just like the way Malcolm X looks and his image? If you agreed with his views you agree with Elijah Muhammad.

The only doctrine that changed was the White man being the devil.
  • edwardnigma
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You Know what. I really don't believe the hype. You guys like to front on the IC like you really have a view thats credible. So if you know your ? so well....Let me ask you this....

What are the views you agree with that were solely Malcolm X and did not reflect NOI and Elijah Muhammad?

You guys don't even refer to him by he name he used after he left the NOI , you refer to him with the name Elijah Muhammad gave him. Which leads me to believe you really don't identify with the Malcolm who left. But you want to shake your head at me? C'mon man.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    NO

He went to mecca and met REAL Muslims not that NOI ? farce of a religion

He saw that his fellow muslims were light skinned,some were white some were arab etc they broke bread,prayed at the same temples and they were his brothers

Noi Taught hate and he saw what real islam was about

I aint gonna say the rest cuz you still reading

Actually, this was one of the mistakes and errors that was left in the book(Alex Haley and his publishers deleted many chapters). It is an outright falsehood that Malcolm went to Mecca and had an epiphany about a reality that he was clueless. If you actually read his Autobiography, he tells you he went to Arabia in 1959 as an emissary of the NOI. He saw the same people and interacted with them. That is why he was accepted on his second trip back, he had been there before. People should look at that for what it was, a political move designed to garner support because he did not have the same sphere of influence once he left the NOI.

As a person who had family in Temple No. 7, I can tell you that a lot of that Autobiography is the stone truth, but a significant portion is not totally accurate. You would have to know the back drop of what was going on, which most (including Spike) don't know or choose to ignore.

As far as the real Musim thing, Go to any black neighborhood and into any convenience store, and see the same so-called real Muslims selling drugs, alcohol, pork, lottery tickets, sexing up young girls and then going to jumah prayer.
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    The book doesnt seem to have had any affect on none of y'all. Just a Good read.

Ouch.

Some seeds take time to germinate, E-Money
  • edwardnigma
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    The book doesnt seem to have had any affect on none of y'all. Just a Good read.

Muthafucking Truth Dot Com
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Always been pro black , more than the average black person, both before and after I read the book. However it wasn't life changing for me. Most of his rhetoric I was already thinking; maybe not with the same vehemence and passion, but the thoughts were there. I look at some things a little differently now, but my behavior towards whites is still the same. And I'm still "conking" my hair tomorrow, so idk...maybe I learned very little.
  • edwardnigma
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ? you a two bit drug dealer so the book didn't do ? for you. You gotta tattooo , so what? You the next revolutionary? You a fcking fan? Whats the signifigance? What are you trying to say. You don't impress me. You picked the simplest thing I said to quote. Show some ? heart. Answer something real

What are the Teachings of Malcolm X you agree with that differ from Elijah Muhammad and the NOI? What was his new platform and foundation for the Black nation?

How many peoples lives did he rehabilitate as in comparison to how many lives Elijah Muhammad rehabilitated?

How many Black people did he hire in comparison to Elijah Muhammad?

Why is Elijah Muhammad wrong for adultery and unforgiven in Malcolms eyes? While Malcolm was redeemable and forgiven fresh from jail in the eyes of Elijah Muhammad!

What if Elijah Muhammad saw Malcolm as unredeemable when Malcolm came to him.....

What do you think of the fact Malcolm X hated his wife and would write constant letters to Elijah Muhammad asking to leave his wife.....What do you think about these things?

Smart ass Black Man, What you Know?
  • And Step
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I got el hajj malik shabazz tatted on me homeboy

And malcolm X said 'the honarable elijah muhammed taught us' etc,etc

He wrote his own speeches he used elijah muhammed teachings(as misleading and wrong as they were) as the basis of his speeches to the noi

He left the noi went to mecca, saw the light,changed his name and became a new man
    Actually this not accurate. Malcolm would consult Elijah Muhammad on every major speech he did as most ministers did, more so for him because he was the National Spokesperson. When you are the spokesperson you speak the view of your superior. Malcolm would get advise on what to say before every speech.

And if you were really up on Malcolm, you would know that he had the name Shabazz bestowed on him by Elijah Muhammad before he left the NOI. El hajj was not really a name but a title conferred on those who perform the Pilgrimage to Mecca. A new man? OK. Before the NOI he was a ? , drug dealer, thief, addict. The NOI process made him give all that up. Even gave him a platform. How many churches and civil rights organizations would have gave a man with a history like that a platform to work from?

Don't tow the mainstream media line about ZMalcolm, there is much more to learn if we would but search.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Good book...ducktales on about half that ? but I can't blame Malcom for that I would have done the same thing