Who are some "Religious" People you respect?

Options
And Step
And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
This forum purports to be one of enlightenment where people can discuss religion and ideas but most times it seems to degenerate into antagonistic mode with a one upmanship mentality.

Lets switch it up a bit.

Name some religious people who you have a lot of respect for and why. They could be living or dead, past or present, famous or not known.

Speak ya clout...

P.S. No Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha types. Or any body before Television.

Comments

• @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Too many to name, so I'll go with Cesar Chavez.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    are the quotes around "religious" there so that i can pick people who CLAIM to be religious but that i don't think actually are, or what?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    None that I know of, but I don't really respect anyone.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dr. Jay Vernon McGee. His thru the bible radio broadcast has been invaluable to me and also for countless others. Only ? knows how much fruit Dr. Jay Vernon McGee will have produced by the end of the age, but it must be plentiful. His reward will be great!
    www.ttb.org/
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    George Carlin? Bill Maher? John Stewart?

Can those guys count?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    George Carlin? Bill Maher? John Stewart?

Can those guys count?

LOL.....

Seriously I really respect Martin Luther King Jr and Desmond Tutu. I dont hate religious people, I just hate how some are pushy with it,ESPECIALLY Christians. But those two and Mother Teresa I truly do respect. And my mom.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • And Step
    edited July 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    are the quotes around "religious" there so that i can pick people who CLAIM to be religious but that i don't think actually are, or what?

No that's there so you can do the cute little thing with your forefinger and middle finger when people mention quote and unquote. I know you might need to release some tension after a hard days work.

Seriously, I put the quote there because some people might not consider themselves religious per se but they have religious trappings or spiritual undertone that many can identify with. I didn't want to exclude anybody. Can you think of a better word or phrasing?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Seriously, I put the quote there because some people might not consider themselves religious per se but they have religious trappings or spiritual undertone that many can identify with. I didn't want to exclude anybody. Can you think of a better word or phrasing?
    no, no, this clarification is the reason i asked
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Soren Kierkegaard - personally for me, he's the greatest man ever to live other than Christ. I think that he revealed many truths to not only religion but to this world and life in general. I only discovered him partially by chance and realized that my philosophy on life pretty much matched his in interesting ways. And this was odd, because he lived in the 1800s, but also telling, because I believe that truth is timeless and life really doesnt change much but is rather cyclical or repetitive.

Mother Teresa - I'm aware of her critics, and even though I can believe some of them, I find others to be dubious, propagandist, and/or bitter. Bottom line is that she did help people literally and spiritually, and I can respect that even if it turned out true that she was less than reputable.

MLK and Malcolm X for obvious reasons.

Gandhi - I'm also aware of his critics and have my own criticisms, but he was a great spiritual and political leader and preached peace and love.

Many religious people I know personally for being faithful and truthful.

There's probably more but meh
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Options
    No doubt that This is laughable, at least, considering how you posted crazy hate-filled nonsense at me for esteeming Tim Wise & Dr. Jensen in the same way...lol...when I brought their scholarship here to compliment mines, which I used for pummeling some idiocy you had posted....man-0-man, I really do cause some of you all's perplexity to reach exponential magnitudes!!

My dude, I think that you seriously have emotional issues. Wasn't that jawn weeks ago? Get over it heh. I'm thinking about taking And Step's "advice" and just putting you on ignore. But like I said, you drop you some good knowledge every now and then, and I actually share a lot of your opinions but your personality is just so annoying. You're very immature, senseless, and always so uneccessarily confrontational.

Unless you want to revist our little issue that happened weeks ago since you cannot get over it, I once again would like to invite you a thread debate. If you're too hesitant to do so, then go kick rocks kid. I don't have time to get into internet squabbles, which I hear are all the rage here on the forums.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I was thinking about something along these lines but a little different:

Do u respect religious leaders?
    My thing there is someone like the pope has the highest status position in one of the most historical and relevant institutions in human history, that commands some respect, but at the same time I think about how he's basically the leader of a cult that promotes mass delusion and that he himself is an absolute adherent to the most preposterous of fairy tales... and it makes me like wtf this dude is either an idiot or disingenuous on an epic scale.

And to answer t/s question, yea there are some religious people that I respect, but I respect them despite their religiosity not because of it.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Soren Kierkegaard - personally for me, he's the greatest man ever to live other than Christ. I think that he revealed many truths to not only religion but to this world and life in general. I only discovered him partially by chance and realized that my philosophy on life pretty much matched his in interesting ways. And this was odd, because he lived in the 1800s, but also telling, because I believe that truth is timeless and life really doesnt change much but is rather cyclical or repetitive.

Mother Teresa - I'm aware of her critics, and even though I can believe some of them, I find others to be dubious, propagandist, and/or bitter. Bottom line is that she did help people literally and spiritually, and I can respect that even if it turned out true that she was less than reputable.

MLK and Malcolm X for obvious reasons.

Gandhi - I'm also aware of his critics and have my own criticisms, but he was a great spiritual and political leader and preached peace and love.

Many religious people I know personally for being faithful and truthful.

There's probably more but meh

wow how could i forget bob marley, dumb.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    I was thinking about something along these lines but a little different:

Do u respect religious leaders?
    My thing there is someone like the pope has the highest status position in one of the most historical and relevant institutions in human history, that commands some respect, but at the same time I think about how he's basically the leader of a cult that promotes mass delusion and that he himself is an absolute adherent to the most preposterous of fairy tales... and it makes me like wtf this dude is either an idiot or disingenuous on an epic scale.

But that's your slanted opinion. And I don't think that what you said about the pope is true.
    And to answer t/s question, yea there are some religious people that I respect, but I respect them despite their religiosity not because of it.

I could be wrong but I think t/s was asking about people whose spirituality/religiosity you respect. The t/s question wasn't too clear though.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Man, I’ll probably end up regretting this but I’m going to give it one more try and actually attempt to have a reasonable and respectful conversation with you so that we can address the real issues. So excuse me if I avoid the tendency to engage in internet beef with you while I skip straight to our discussion on race and whatever other concerns you have.
    No doubt that This is laughable, at least, considering how you posted crazy hate-filled nonsense at me for esteeming Tim Wise & Dr. Jensen in the same way...lol...when I brought their scholarship here to compliment mines, which I used for pummeling some idiocy you had posted

“Hate-filled nonsense” and “idiocy”? You say “nonsense” and “idiocy”, but that’s your opinion. Incidentally, this is an opinion of yours of which I’m curious to see you back up and defend. My opinion on the other hand is that what I posted was very sensible and intelligent. Now, hate-filled? Heh, hate is not a part of me, my brother. If you feel that I was hateful, you’re mistaken. Being critical is not the same as being hateful. On the other hand, calling people names and making fun of convicts and handicapped persons seems hateful to me, and childish. Oh the hypocrisy.
    ....man-0-man, I really do cause some of you all's perplexity to reach exponential magnitudes!!

...Lol, it’s these little, unnecessary mini-rants right here that make me think that you take the IC too seriously and have some kind of inflated internet ego. And I still for life of me don’t understand why you keep on referring to these “you all’s”. Just who are you talking to, heh? I thought this was just you and me talking? You gotta stop this me against the world-delusions of grandeur ? .
    Not more serious than your Emotional and mental issues, if you think it's not normal to read you post something that contradicts what you said in the past, and make light of it.

First of all, even if you were right, I don’t see it as a big deal to come into another thread specifically to bring out this apparent hypocrisy (never mind the fact that we are all hypocrites like you said and that hypocrisies happen 24/7, but this special one urgently needs to be brought up right?) in a salty, trivial, and disrespectful (to t/s and thread) manner. But that’s neither here nor there.

So I see that you are again bringing up the aforementioned claim that I am being hypocritical because I have a high regard for Kierkegaard and I allegedly made fun of you for having a high regard for others? I’m sorry but I think that you’ve misunderstood me or you are confusing what I said with what slick or step may have said. Dude, I don’t even know what kind of regard you have for those guys whom you mentioned. My and others’ issue was of a different matter. Honestly, I don’t even see too much resemblance to what happened then to what happened now. That’s why it seemed your post seemed so salty and out of place to begin with. But if you think otherwise, please point out the hypocrisy for me.
    even if "that jawn was 1.5 weeks ago" you still need to be reminded of your hypocrisy and double-talk

I need to be reminded of an alleged hypocrisy that happened 1.5 weeks ago?! Especially since we all commit hypocrisies daily? Wow. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that. I just don’t think that it’s such a big deal to come into another different thread in a nontopical, disrespectful and bitter manner like that. Meh. That old thread was the furthest thing from my mind to be honest.
    ...lol...it happens all the time on the web, even with the most powerful people in the world who forget about things they post on the internet.

Yeah?
    So how aimless do you appear, even now, by denouncing me for pointing out where you immensely contradicted your philosophies??

I’m sorry dude, I don’t see it. Please let me know.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You feel this way only because you are an Apologist for racism, that I combat, which you can't transcend with deceit...so you get mad at me for bringing facts and truths, which then motivates you to deem me immature senseless and confrontational when I counter disrespectful posts that you initiated.

Lol, I disagree. I feel that way because I think that’s how you really are or at the best come across. And others have shared the same opinion. I didn’t say that you were immature, confrontational, and senseless because I wanted to hurt your feelings or because I disagree with your opinions on race or politics. I said it because I see it in your posts and have pointed that out already. I’m not being mean, I think that I’m being truthful/critical. Maybe, just maybe, you can try to look at yourself with an outside perspective and try to consider what we are saying.

As for me being an apologist for racism (which seems very odd to me), again I would like for you to point that out and support that claim because I happen to disagree with you there. You could be right, but I need the evidence…
    You're a liar, who hates solutions to real problems

“Liar”? Seems like another odd throwaway insult to me. So how am I a liar? Could you please point that out to me too? Now I specifically remember you saying that I hate solutions to real problems in the old thread. That wasn’t just another odd thing to say. But I already responded to you with a counterclaim, which, as I had said before, you seemed to ignore and just continue on with your throwaway claims like a broken record. Either read my response and reply to that (which would be the reasonable thing to do in argumentation) or actually explain and support your claim.
    ...so I'm cool on whatever opinion you have of me, because I understand it's your 'loss of self-control' which created those opinions about me.

Oh? I don’t have any self control? Lol, ok? Whatever lifts your luggage dude.
    Your dishonesty, is noteworthy.

Ok?...wait, I know you’re not saying that I’m dishonest because I said “weeks” but in actuality it was 1.5 weeks right lol? Is that even a big deal? And you do know that 1.5 weeks is still “weeks”, as in plural right? And you do know that my statement about how many weeks was it wasn’t a statement but rather a question, as in the “Wasn't that jawn weeks ago?” question that you actually quoted?
    That discussion was a mere week or two, ago, and no one should ever 'get over' a member or person being outright dishonest as you were

Again, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree on this one bruh. “No one should ever get over a member or person for being outright dishonest”? Wow, is it really that serious duke? I feel like I’m on trial heh. It’s just me but it’s not a big deal. Again, I say get over it.
    ...lol...so, I'm sorry if using your words you posted today to prove it, caused you to again lose self-control and get mad at me, for simply telling the truth.

No one’s mad here, I’ve enjoyed every bit of this actually heh. I feel like we might as well be arguing about which is better: Star trek or star wars. Or superman or batman.

But that’s the thing, you believe it or whatever “truth” you are talking about to be the truth and I believe it to be false and have my own idea of what is true. You don’t just say something is true and all of a sudden it’s true. You use logic and reasoning to prove that it’s true. And that’s what I’m hoping we are doing here or will get to do. That is, of course, if I am able to control myself lol…
    Cat. You considering taking advice from And Stephanie which shows you lack rational cognizances.

You can disagree with Step, and believe me, I do too, most likely more than you. But carrying a resentment around from thread to thread (and name-calling) is lame, especially if you don’t even make the attempt to respect the other person and engage in a reasonable argument to actually highlight your differences and similarities in order to get to a general truth/agreement on a relevant issue.

There was a reason why I had “advice” in quotations though. He didn’t actually give me that advice, it just seemed like the logical thing to do.
    You don't want it, with me.

Lol, wtf? By the way, I don’t think that you need the comma after “it”. Or perhaps this a line of poetry? You are a lyricist right? Maybe we can hit up that part of the forum on IC sometime. I write too for fun, but I’m not that good. I used to hit up IC back in the days. I got rhymes out the ass but I’m too lazy and busy to do anything right now. meh
    Not unless, your teammates can come rescue you vs. Me, like before.

You’re cool bro!
    Even your half-baked, insulting invitation to debate here, reeks of " you don't rrrrrrrreally want to discuss issues you don't really want real solutions" to real problems

Half-baked? Insulting? Lol, how so? I don’t want real solutions again? Again, how so? Lol, what are you even talking about? Solutions to what? I thought that we were arguing about how I don’t have any self control?
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I respect the preachers who have jobs. reguardless of all the nonsense they sprew, they let 100% of the tithes go to the church and the people. Cant help but respect that because he/she is doing it the right way.

Everyone else is getting played by their so-called "pastor."

oh yeah, and this guy:
  • Mellow Hype
    Mellow Hype Members Posts: 916
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bob Marley
    Malcolm X
    Marcus Garvey
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    But that's your slanted opinion.

Well of course
  • And Step
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Soren Kierkegaard - personally for me, he's the greatest man ever to live other than Christ. .................. I only discovered him partially by chance and realized that my philosophy on life pretty much matched his in interesting ways.

I got a number for a doctor for your shoulder popping out of the socket from so much patting yourself on the back.........

LOL...I ain't up on him...I'll peep
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bob Marley
    Malcolm X
    Marcus Garvey

I must read up on this man
    Well of course

hehe yeah...
    And Step wrote: »
    I got a number for a doctor for your shoulder popping out of the socket from so much patting yourself on the back.........

LOL...I ain't up on him...I'll peep

lol!
  • mosdu
    mosdu Members Posts: 11
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Good look Fam . I been reading,listening, researching this guy for four hours since seeing this video. that ray hagin joint
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.