JILL SCOTT ALBUM DEBUTS AT #1 ON BILLBOARD: You Didnt See It ? DId You?

Options
booty-gif-dot-com
booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
full Jill Scott article at Crazy Hot Tracks

i didnt expect this. I dont think anybody saw it. The disc moved 135,000 in its first week. In an era when many rap albums are being pushed back and creativity is looking pretty bleak is this a sea change? are people tired of all the garbage and want something real with substance and quality? or is it just me getting too old for this eras Hip Hop (? ass rappers) and So Called R&B. (Trey songz. seriously dude got a thin voice)

Jill represents NEO-SOUL along with Maxwell, Erakyh Badu..

what do you think??

Jill Scott Celebrates First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 | Billboard.com

q14877tafmr.jpg

Comments

• bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Congrats! i copped mine.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Good music still sells . Artist like Jill , Maxwell , Sade etc will always sell because they have built a fanbase and standard of high quality music that touches the lives and the souls of that fanbase . Their music is layered with lyrics of depth and their music bed has a superior level of instrumentation and musicianship. An intelligent , not necessarily older fan will always allow the artist to excel with their music sales in a era when music sales are down . This because their music is not only to make u dance but it is of such quality it is the soundtrack to many fans lives so those fans will buy and not download their music as a show of respect to the artist . To do this your music has to be strong and timeless , and artist like the Dream and Keri Hilson just dont offer u that
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i saw it coming, the anticipation was so much for this album
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Great news. I shall cop mine own copy as soon as I get more time. I've been listening to this album heavily since it was released.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well it's been happening for a while.. Maxwell did incredible numbers. Badu did about 130-150k... Anthony Hamilton will ship over 100k I'm sure.. Sade went gold first week.

I'm glad that good soul music still sells.. Now rap on the other hand.....................
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The fact this is her 1st number album and its drops on her 1st release from her own label, makes it sweeter for her.
    A lot heads thought she was taken a chance leaving Hidden Beach after so many years, but she wanted control of her career besides being a work horse
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. I believe rap went through its worst decade in terms of creativity 2000-2009. the new breed of artist under 30 sound undisciplined and need to go work on there craft. im getting older so my taste change too. I think Jill and Max are like the Queen and King of Neo Soul and ive BOUGHT every record they put out. Not bootleg, no MP3 freebie but real deal CD at the store! I dont give the labels the excuse that THIS type of music doesnt sell its proving that it does!!

in the 90's rap was selling like crazy and the labels was signing like 10 acts for cheap put it out and see what happens if 1 works they drop the other 9 and keep on pushing the 1 that worked to people were sick of it, they were selling music like its breakfast cereal on an assembly line!! you cant treat ART like that. now in 2011 rap dudes cant give a record away. while artist like SADE came back at 50 with QUALITY and kicked ass!!

this decade is starting off promising! i hope the trend continues back to substance! we been starving for a long time!
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Well it's been happening for a while.. Maxwell did incredible numbers. Badu did about 130-150k... Anthony Hamilton will ship over 100k I'm sure.. Sade went gold first week.

I'm glad that good soul music still sells.. Now rap on the other hand.....................
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited July 2011
    Options
    is she still #1? if not how many weeks was her album the #1 album in the country?
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    im proud of jill scott
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    im proud of jill scott
    Jill-Scott1.jpgMe too. She looking better since she started losing weight also.