who ran New Orleans in the late 90s, No Limit or Cash Money?

Options
reverend_al
reverend_al Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Face Off Forum
My memory evades me, which label was bigger and hotter in New Orleans?

Comments

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In a way No-Limit made way for cash money and to bring back the south at that time!
  • snappa
    snappa Members Posts: 397
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Gotta go with No Limit on that one. But I gotta admit ALOT of cats up here thought them two cliques were one in the same. Kinda like EPMD's HitSquad/DefSquad type ? .

off topic: People underrate the ? outta Master P. I know musically him and his brothers suck but to not mention his name with the other moguls always baffles me.
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    No Limit from the mid 90's towards the late 90's. Cash Money from the Late 90's until...........
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    bmoreeast wrote: »
    No Limit from the mid 90's towards the late 90's. Cash Money from the Late 90's until...........

spot on, sir
    no limit paved the way for Cash Money and Cash Money then put platinum and diamonds on that pavement
  • colton
    colton Members Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    No Limit - From 1997-99
    Cash Money - From 1999-2000 or 2001
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    NO LIMIT

Cash Money wouldve never gotten a national deal if No Limit didnt have the success it did! I remember the Grunge Rock from Seatlle thing in the early 90's once NIRVANA blew the ? up the labels were trying to sign every band in SEATTLE that sounded like them so the Nawlins BOunce thing was sort of like that!!

Juvy was the lead mc and weezy at that time was basically a young hype man! I viewed him like FLAVA FLAV. had no idea dude was gonna blew up like he did!!
  • siqnih da rapper
    siqnih da rapper Members Posts: 5,699 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Its Hard but ill say No limit at first but cashmoney took over from like 99 thats what ill say
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    colton wrote: »
    No Limit - From 1997-99
    Cash Money - From 1999-2000 or 2001

Cash Money from 98-...............
  • Hollywood Cold
    Hollywood Cold Members Posts: 37
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i would have to say no-limit..they had a good run.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Cash Money had already started making noise around 96'. By the time 99' came around EVERYBODY in louisiana was on the cash money band wagon. I remember like it was yesterday. By 98' (I was in the 4th grade) all a ? was talking bout was the Hot Boyz.

In the mid to late 90's No Limit (besides Mystikal, Mac, and Soulja Slim) was becoming and more and more irrelevant. When 99' came and went if you was bumping a no limit cd and it wasn't them 3 names ? would clown you in the streets. No Limit paved the way though.
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i liked cash money more but no limit broke out in 97 leadin the way
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited July 2011
    Options
    gotta go with no limit. you could count on an album dropping from them every tuesday those blinged out covers.
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Obvi.......if u put No Limit over CMR on any topic.......its clearly u are so not "Charlie Sheening"...... 92 "? Daddy".......93 "Mia-X".....CMR was charting before No Limit label was even built......... they been on the billboards since 92 ? ..........Master P talked to Baby about why CMR didnt want to sign a Nation-Wide deal,........
    and Baby and Slim broke it down, about the ownership........so P, went took the deal CMR pasted up on and went in with the game Slim and Baby gave him about ownership....
    its was several labels from the South that had the chance that P had.....they all passed up, they all wanted 100 % ownership.......u had people like Luke and 2live Crew, Suave House, Rap-a-lot...they all had a huge following before No Limit, and these are guys that dealt with CMR on a hand shake, so P went Priority, and accepted a deal on his own terms, which included some ownership but not 100%.........and then P blew up........and soon CMR sat back in the cut, and wondered if all the T.V. time and tours and award shows was worth losing out millions, and even potenial of 100's millions.....they didnt fold......they kept puttin out music and still charting with no major label backing, and made to major outlets with out the help of a major label......so he comes Universal.......and we all know how the story goes......30 million dollar deal....then 55 million deal....... then they capped out with a 100 million deal that need to renewed in 2 years......with big years from Drake and Nikki.......if they can hold onto those albums late 2012 early 2013.......and they do good numbers.....its almost a sure thing YMCMB will be signing a new deal with Universal worth at least 150 million or better....... they are the last black-owned, black operated indy label in the game......they not totally indy......but they indy structure according to the deal........P had the hustle, he just wanted the money to fast......

Master P is the rabbit from the tale, and CMR is the turtle.........and that's very clear....... whose winning and whose not....
  • murdamike209
    murdamike209 Members Posts: 232
    edited October 2011
    Options
    obvi.......if u put no limit over cmr on any topic.......its clearly u are so not "charlie sheening"...... 92 "? daddy".......93 "mia-x".....cmr was charting before no limit label was even built......... They been on the billboards since 92 ? ..........master p talked to baby about why cmr didnt want to sign a nation-wide deal,........
    And baby and slim broke it down, about the ownership........so p, went took the deal cmr pasted up on and went in with the game slim and baby gave him about ownership....
    Its was several labels from the south that had the chance that p had.....they all passed up, they all wanted 100 % ownership.......u had people like luke and 2live crew, suave house, rap-a-lot...they all had a huge following before no limit, and these are guys that dealt with cmr on a hand shake, so p went priority, and accepted a deal on his own terms, which included some ownership but not 100%.........and then p blew up........and soon cmr sat back in the cut, and wondered if all the t.v. Time and tours and award shows was worth losing out millions, and even potenial of 100's millions.....they didnt fold......they kept puttin out music and still charting with no major label backing, and made to major outlets with out the help of a major label......so he comes universal.......and we all know how the story goes......30 million dollar deal....then 55 million deal....... Then they capped out with a 100 million deal that need to renewed in 2 years......with big years from drake and nikki.......if they can hold onto those albums late 2012 early 2013.......and they do good numbers.....its almost a sure thing ymcmb will be signing a new deal with universal worth at least 150 million or better....... They are the last black-owned, black operated indy label in the game......they not totally indy......but they indy structure according to the deal........p had the hustle, he just wanted the money to fast......

Master p is the rabbit from the tale, and cmr is the turtle.........and that's very clear....... Whose winning and whose not....

c/s most this just remember master p came and bit a lot of the west coast hustle too!!!! Like pastor troy and yukmouth said master biter!!!!