The South ? up Hip Hop....but, we LET them

Options
Rey Negro
Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Reason
1) Scarface-Geto Boys, Outkast, 8Ball & MJG, Dungeon Family, Three 6 Mafia and Ludacris were cool. Though from the South, they added value to Hip Hop and most importantly, COULD RAP.

2) Crunk. By letting in the Ying Yang Twins & Lil Jon in the early 2000s, Hip Hop opened a can of worms. You had Lil Jon making songs with no lyrical content whatsoever
> Next came Snap. Dem Franchise Boys and D4L. Instead of shaming these horrible artists out of the industry, rappers felt condemned to accept them because they were "getting money"
> Next came the Ringtone rappers. Stanky Leg rappers. By now it was too far gone to reverse
> Now it's 2011 and lyricism in the mainstream is laughable.

3) The South ? up Hip Hop....but, we could've ended that ? back in 2002-2004 if ? just spoke out against those ? artists.

Comments

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    here we go.....................

lets see where this goes
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Its real ? though. ? yall sensitive southern ? if yall not objective enough not to differentiate the two...

When I say ? THE SOUTH, I'm not speaking towards Ludacris or Wayne or No Limit or Cash Money or Outkast...

I'm speaking towards Soulja Boy and the plethora of "do the dougie" dance rappers...
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    *6 pages*.......
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

• nkflier23
    nkflier23 Members Posts: 719 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If it wasn't for the south rap would be NOWHERE now, cuz the West flopped and the crab in the barrel ass New Yorkers aint put out anything hot since the 90's. Midwest and South saved rap
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    WE didn't do ? because I don't embrace that ? . Females, white people, the club and the new generation(which I happened to be in) did it by not giving a ? about lyrics and only wanting something catchy. And to be honest now that rap is making a turn back toward lyricism and substance the south is leading the movement so I can't even co-sign this. Cole, K.R.I.T., Jay Elec, and Cyhi are all southern rappers.......
  • hiphophova
    hiphophova Members Posts: 710
    edited July 2011
    Options
    real talk, but these coward NY rappers let it happen. You all bad and tough on records but as soon as these ? coming with trash you're supposed to smash them.

all NY rappers roday are soft, outside 50,Jada,Shyne ......... who got the ? to say something ?
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Up north....we don't hesitate to call out wack rappers.

No way would Jay-Z be cosigning Hell Rell or Papoose or some other wack ass no name rapper.

Down south...because yall feel cornered and attacked by us East coasters...legends like Bun B be defending the GS Boys out of loyalty.

SMH.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    because it bangs in the whip?
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    hiphophova wrote: »
    real talk, but these coward NY rappers let it happen. You all bad and tough on records but as soon as these ? coming with trash you're supposed to smash them.

all NY rappers roday are soft, outside 50,Jada,Shyne ......... who got the ? to say something ?

they aren't soft they just aren't good. Kanye's not hard, luda aint hard, outkast aint hard. But they put out quality ? ...... The NY rappers now a days to busy on the south nuts instead of making their own lane. They always rep the quality era of rap with the nas', big's, jay's etc. but they don't aspire to be like them.
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    WE didn't do ? because I don't embrace that ? . Females, white people, the club and the new generation(which I happened to be in) did it by not giving a ? about lyrics and only wanting something catchy. And to be honest now that rap is making a turn back toward lyricism and substance the south is leading the movement so I can't even co-sign this. Cole, K.R.I.T., Jay Elec, and Cyhi are all southern rappers.......

Even so....we should've never had to go through a 6 year drought.

And even if lyricism comes back, it will never be like it was from 1990-2002.
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    hiphophova wrote: »

They should've. That's Hip Hop. That's how Hip Hop worked in the 80s, 90s. If you were wack, you got called out.

? should've bodied Lil Jon the moment he started putting out that chanting ? . Don't get me started on D4L.
  • - BE -
    - BE - Members Posts: 96
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Here we go again *DMX voice*
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i think the mentality changed in the 90's rappers were held to a higher standard, your pen game had to be tight. no one never had an issue with rappers making party/club music but the rappers always made catchy music while maintaining a high level of lyrical ability. now people wanna act like the two cant mix.
  • hiphophova
    hiphophova Members Posts: 710
    edited July 2011
    Options
    have you heard some of the new NY cats beats ?

they on that south trap rapper synth MMG beats, ? is awful and the thing is Alchemist still living, Havoc, Premo,all still alive and if you on some club ? Swizz,timbo, 7 aurelius, dre, etc all still alive.

It's not so much about rhymes anymore, its pretty much if you were not in the game before 2003/4 you are likely to be trash and look around nothing but trash. They need to get better beats but everyone is weak (outisde of the established veterans)
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Rey ? wrote: »

No way would Jay-Z be cosigning Hell Rell or Papoose or some other wack ass no name rapper.

Down south...because yall feel cornered and attacked by us East coasters...legends like Bun B be defending the GS Boys out of loyalty.

SMH.

I want to focus on this....why do yall do that. Why can't yall call out yall whack rappers like we (West and East Coasters) do? Why do yall defend ? yall know are putting out ? music?
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yeah yeah yeah damn...its some rappers down here that dropped some ? ...but they didnt make anybody buy it...its on the shelf right next to whoever u think is better...but since people aint buying ? out the store like that, and these ? aint goin on world tours and ? , they drop 5 times a year and ? instead of trying to perfect ? ...
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

SMH.

I can tell you a ? ? by this post

"jay-z wouldn't blah blah blah..."

so, whatever jay says is law?

if folks like that ? , they like it

why waste energy hatin it, instead of usin that energy to put folks on to some ? you think is jammin?
  • HafBayked
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I want to focus on this....why do yall do that. Why can't yall call out yall whack rappers like we (West and East Coasters) do? Why do yall defend ? yall know are putting out ? music?

cuz we dont know who them ? is...never heard em never seen em...our wack ? =dance/ riding/ gettin wasted music...yall wack ? =wack ?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I blame Master P for alot of ? , MASS PRODUCE LOW QUALITY ? TO THE POINT WHERE IT BECOMES ACCEPTABLE AND NORMAL. Then Lil Jon came on the scene with the same motto, mass produce low quality ? until it becomes acceptable.
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    They should've. That's Hip Hop. That's how Hip Hop worked in the 80s, 90s. If you were wack, you got called out.

? should've bodied Lil Jon the moment he started putting out that chanting ? . Don't get me started on D4L.

bruh, if thats the case this "hip-hop" ? prolly would've never been
  • HafBayked
    edited July 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I blame Master P for alot of ? , MASS PRODUCE LOW QUALITY ? TO THE POINT WHERE IT BECOMES ACCEPTABLE AND NORMAL. Then Lil Jon came on the scene with the same motto, mass produce low quality ? until it becomes acceptable.

they some hustlers mane...u think them ? didnt know what they were doing?...they werent looking for awards....$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Brian B. wrote: »
    I can tell you a ? ? by this post

"jay-z wouldn't blah blah blah..."

so, whatever jay says is law?

if folks like that ? , they like it

why waste energy hatin it, instead of usin that energy to put folks on to some ? you think is jammin?

FOH fagmar.

Jay-Z, Biggie, Nas, DMX, LL, etc. Whoever. None of them ? would be defending a ? ass artist like DJ Webstar if someone said DJ Webstar was wack...we'd be like yea, Chicken Noodle Soup was a dumb ? song.

But in the South, legends will listen to the ? songs and say "let the kids have fun. why you hating. they getting money". SMH.
  • ImGettingOld
    ImGettingOld Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dumb thread,the south makes the best music
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Brian B. wrote: »

bruh, if thats the case this "hip-hop" ? prolly would've never been

FOH bruh. Hip Hop started on Sedgwick Avenue....all genres have connections somewhere in their history.