Janet, Mariah & Whitney Catalog >>>>>>>>>>>>> BEYONCE

Options
rapmastermind
rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
This is not a Beyonce hate post, it's a Reality post. The fact is Janet Jackson, Mariah and Whitney's catalog blow Beyonce's out of the water, even if you influenced Destiny Child she still can't compete. Her name should never be mentioned before the other 3. Janet has 4 Certified Classics, Mariah has 4 Certified Classics and Whitney has 4 Certified Classics. Beyonce has released 4 LP's and maybe 1 you could call a Classic. Destiny Child had 1 Classic which was "Writings on the Wall".

Janet+Jackson.jpg

mariah-carey.jpg

whitney-houston.jpg

Comments

• G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i thought this was common knowledge........
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

• rapmastermind
    edited July 2011
    Options

Well you'd be surprised, some people are trying to put Beyonce over them. As of right now I'm not hearing to much "Timeless" Quality coming out of Beyonce. When Janet and Whitney did their thing into the 80's and 90's it was timeless song and albums left and right coming from both. Mariah spent the entire 90's dropping timeless quality. Beyonce has good music but there is something that just is missing, I don't know if her songs will hold up like the other 3 have.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Who Runs The World?
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In Beyonce's defense, all three women had about decade on her when just taking her solo career into consideration. Beyonce should be compared to artists like Alicia Keys and Rihanna since they are more her contemporaries. Alicia Keys definitely has Beyonce in the catalog department.
  • tamahawk
    tamahawk Members Posts: 19
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I was talking about this with my girlfriend the other day. Specifically between Beyonce and Alicia Keys. Beyonce is cool, and eveyone knows she's fine...but she doesn't make songs that people will be singing 10 - 15 years from now. Her music has a very chickenhead element to it. The only songs I can see her being able to sing in 10 -15 years from now are "Crazy in Love", "Irreplaceable", "Dangerously in Love" and maybe "Single Ladies". The ladies mentioned by the TS and A. Keys have certified classic songs.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In Beyonce's defense, all three women had about decade on her when just taking her solo career into consideration. Beyonce should be compared to artists like Alicia Keys and Rihanna since they are more her contemporaries. Alicia Keys definitely has Beyonce in the catalog department.

A. Keys >>> Beyonce
  • soulatlantic
    soulatlantic Members Posts: 346
    edited July 2011
    Options
    this is how i see it: there's hate because there's a large population of people online who aren't as familiar with the accomplishments of these 3 because they either weren't born or were too young. you need to remember how old most people online are, young! hence some of the hate. if you're not doing it now and they don't know you and it comes down to comparisons, they're picking the one they know and love. another perfect example of this is people putting Nicki Minaj above Lil' Kim. i could go into that deeper but i'll leave it alone

i'm not hating on B either, especially cause i love her new album, but that's why i feel people play Mariah, Whitney and Janet out. plus Janet hasn't had very successful albums recently, neither has Mariah (and that's coming from me as a massive Mariah fan)

also Alicia does definitely have the catalog. i have As I Am on vinyl and i just got the Songs in A Minor 10th Anniversary to hear these new tracks. i definitely listen to her albums a lot more than B's, but I think 4 has potential to be an album that i keep in rotation for years. I really really like it and i think it may have some real staying power
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Cosign thread...them ladies ate her whole catalog up. Dayum. Honestly I feel like B's first was good. But after that first her ? got played out. Ring tone queen foreal lol
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Beyonce ain't on their level, period. I would compare Alicia Keys to them before beyonce. Beyonce makes microwave music like most artist today. Not much music from this era will be timeless like the music of the past
  • rapmastermind
    edited July 2011
    Options
    this is how i see it: there's hate because there's a large population of people online who aren't as familiar with the accomplishments of these 3 because they either weren't born or were too young. you need to remember how old most people online are, young! hence some of the hate. if you're not doing it now and they don't know you and it comes down to comparisons, they're picking the one they know and love. another perfect example of this is people putting Nicki Minaj above Lil' Kim. i could go into that deeper but i'll leave it alone

i'm not hating on B either, especially cause i love her new album, but that's why i feel people play Mariah, Whitney and Janet out. plus Janet hasn't had very successful albums recently, neither has Mariah (and that's coming from me as a massive Mariah fan)

also Alicia does definitely have the catalog. i have As I Am on vinyl and i just got the Songs in A Minor 10th Anniversary to hear these new tracks. i definitely listen to her albums a lot more than B's, but I think 4 has potential to be an album that i keep in rotation for years. I really really like it and i think it may have some real staying power

Janet, Mariah and Whitney's last LP's went GOLD which is good since all them them are 20 years deep and have sold a gazillion records already:

Mariah - 200 Million
    Whitney - 170 Million
    Janet - 120 Million
    Beyonce - 75 Million

So let's not get it twisted, Beyonce is putting up numbers that can put her in the Class of those ladies but her overall Catalog isn't seeing theirs. I agree that some of it is youth but it's not like Mariah, Janet and Whitney ain't have hits this last decade cause they have. I do agree that all 3 of those ladies are on the downside of their careers. Mariah just can't remake "Emancipation", Janet is still recovering from the Super Bowl ? -gate and Whitney's drug issues have hurt her career. As far as comparing her to her class per say, I agree Alicia Keys has a better catalog and they have the same amount of solo albums. I'd argue Brady, Monica and Aaliyah also give Beyonce catalog a run for her money. I'd put B over Ri-Ri and Ciara for sure though.