Todays Show thinks Gamers over 30 are weird.

Options
DaFifthElement
DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in IllGaming
Dudes who play video games in their 30s and beyond? What’s up with that?! That’s the question posed to the leathery co-hosts of the fourth hour of Today, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb, who explain that, well, that’s just weird!

Gifford, Kotb and advertising exec/dude advice giver Donny Deutsch – author of The Big Idea: How to Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams Come True, From the Aha Moment to Your First Million – dispensed the following advice to someone concerned whether it’s “OK for men to play video games in their 30s and over”.

“No, that’s weird,” Gifford says, adding “Xbox.”

“No. The answer’s no,” contributes Deutsch, “When you’re in your 30s, there should be something more on your mind, your attention, than video games.”

Gifford and Deutsch apparently agree that it’s perfectly fine to play them with your kids, with Kotb clarifying that “those weird ones in the basement”, that’s a no-no.

The Entertainment Software Association reports that the average game player is 37 years old, the average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 41 years old, and that 29 per cent of Americans over the age of 50 play video games.

So, there you go, adults past your 20s. You’re a cellar-dwelling weirdo. Now you know.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/07/relationship-experts-dont-think-men-in-their-30s-should-play-video-games/

Guess I only have 7 more years of gaming left until Im a certified weirdo...

what u guys think?

Comments

• genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? them...

I kno right...wth does Kathhy Lee know about video games.

I agree I prolly wont be too serioius about video games when I hit 30, but a weirdo if I want to occasinally get a game in?

cmon son its 2011
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    like i give a ? what kathy lee thinks...

i'll show my grand kids how to do it.

7715180-old-man-and-woman-playing-video-game-with-their-grandson-at-the-back-on-sofa.jpg
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    im 30.. and i live on my ps3
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm 32...and I'm among that generation that really grew up with gaming from the beginning.....it's a fun hobby, so who cares what they think.

Goes to play *Burnout Paradise* and *MLB 2k9* on 360.............................
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Who are these ? again?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? them...

Close thread.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I aint 30 yet but Im most likely gonna be gaming my whole life, ? at my job in they 40's and they ask me if Im playing the game online when I get off
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm 32 or 33 and video games are relaxing. ? what them crackas talking about. Nothing like putting in a hard days work and coming home getting a couple games if ? in or crushing ? with the Gamecocks on that NCAA.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You could make a sofa out of those leathery slags
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Close-minded thinking, that just because someone is over a certain age they should limit themselves to certain forms of entertainment while shunning others. Does the age of the person playing really matter? Let alone the fact that video games have become a significant story telling medium heavily aimed at older audiences. That a seven year old can get the same entertainment from a video game that a thiry-seven year old can is what makes video games great. As long as they're having fun and enjoying themselves, who cares. Good to know that stereotypes like these are still alive and well...
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    im 30.. and i live on my ps3

lol, what up Terrorist
    I'm 32...and I'm among that generation that really grew up with gaming from the beginning.....it's a fun hobby, so who cares what they think.

Goes to play *Burnout Paradise* and *MLB 2k9* on 360.............................
    I'm 32 or 33 and video games are relaxing. ? what them crackas talking about. Nothing like putting in a hard days work and coming home getting a couple games if ? in or crushing ? with the Gamecocks on that NCAA.
    Close-minded thinking, that just because someone is over a certain age they should limit themselves to certain forms of entertainment while shunning others. Does the age of the person playing really matter? Let alone the fact that video games have become a significant story telling medium heavily aimed at older audiences. That a seven year old can get the same entertainment from a video game that a thiry-seven year old can is what makes video games great. As long as they're having fun and enjoying themselves, who cares. Good to know that stereotypes like these are still alive and well...

Co-Sign everything..........

Im not 30 yet but I will probably be playing for a long time. Probably into my 40's. I grew up on video games, its a good way to kick back and just relax. ? what they talking about.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    these the same ? who spoke highly of movies such as shrek and ice age...now i have nothing against adults watching kids movies but its kinda hard to take a hypocrite serious

and they completely forgot about the fact that in your 30's you usually have kids and im sure they may want u to play games with them...who the ? cares what they yappin bout anyway
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? them...

Exactly...I'm 29 and I've been playing video games from the time Atari was out (was my dad"s) and I got my first system a Nintendo when I was 7. I got both PS3/360 and even though I don't play my games like I did when I was a kid I still play them when I get board as ? . This pretty much like when females try to talk ? about dudes playing video games.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's a little ridiculous to think that a culture that was born to a certain age group will just die out or lose its appeal as that age group grows older. Peoplewho are between the ages of 25-35 was born in the 80's and late 70's, which was the time when home video games really took off. So that same age group grew up right alongside the boom of video games, so why would they stop now when they've been playing those video games for well over 20 years?? Our generation don't even look at it as a hobby or something only geeks or weirdos do, it's as much a part of our everyday life as watching tv or using a computer is. Which is a little harder for someone who wasn't coming up during the height of the video game culture to understand.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

Wait!!! You don't really know, do you?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well, put me in the weird class then. I don't plan to stop. Gaming relaxes me.

WTF does Kathy Lee know about 30 yr olds and their interests? She passed 30 60 years ago. Times have changed. And I'm going to be taking advice from someone named Kotb or Deutsh?
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

lmao i thought i was the only one that caught that....i just let it go
  • Generic
    Generic Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well, put me in the weird class then. I don't plan to stop. Gaming relaxes me.

WTF does Kathy Lee know about 30 yr olds and their interests? She passed 30 60 years ago. Times have changed. And I'm going to be taking advice from someone named Kotb or Deutsh?

c/s. lmao at not knowing your own age.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Its ? Kathie Lee Gifford.

/thread
  • GTariq
    GTariq Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I read this thread at work today...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRiigghhhhtttttttttt.
  • infamous118
    infamous118 Members Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm not over 30 but i'm probably gonna still be playing games over 30. it's a fun hobby. I'd say its weird if playing video games is ALL you do with your life when you're over 30....? at any age if all you do is play video games it's weird lol
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yes its lame at 30+

i agree with kathie
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

Lol. Yeah I can honestly say I don't know off the top of my head. I have to ask my wife. Don't judge me.
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And this coming from people that probably never played video games in their entire live.

As for me I'm 30 and still play video games. My GF is 29 and she plays too. And we will continue to play!!