Why Are You Disappointed??

Options
dawriter
dawriter Members Posts: 46
edited July 2011 in The Social Lounge
In Barack Obama??

I hear a lot of people saying he hasn't done enough or has gone back on everything he's campaigned for, but what exactly are you upset about? I haven't gotten a straight answer on that question yet so maybe the IC can break it down for me. What has he done/not done that ? you off to the point you think he's a fraud???

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In general, he squandered an opportunity to move the country to the left, and he didn't really change anything in government.

On a more policy-by-policy basis he didn't push for the public option, didn't do enough stimulus for American people, didn't really do anything on proprietary trading or too big to fail banks, still tax cuts for the rich, and I'm not a fan of the libya war. Overall, I don't think he's been a bad president or anything, but just very underwhelming. He's an incrementalist and a fence sitter at a point in history when we need leadership, obama is not a strong leader.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    In general, he squandered an opportunity to move the country to the left, and he didn't really change anything in government.

Co-? sign he aint change ? , he fooled/is fooling alot of folks because he black ? got invested in this ? all he did was continue the GWB policies and some cases expanded them. When will ? wake up and smell the coffee. When this ? get re-elected he really gonna show his true colors.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i never put enough faith in any politician to be dissapointed in them.
  • dawriter
    edited July 2011
    Options

On a more policy-by-policy basis he didn't push for the public option, didn't do enough stimulus for American people, didn't really do anything on proprietary trading or too big to fail banks, still tax cuts for the rich, and I'm not a fan of the libya war. Overall, I don't think he's been a bad president or anything, but just very underwhelming. He's an incrementalist and a fence sitter at a point in history when we need leadership, obama is not a strong leader.

Hope you don't mind if I play the other side. As far as the public option, he pushed for it and the democrats in the Senate said no to it. The House bill had the public option however the bill didn't have enough votes in the Senate. Can't blame Obama for that, after Kennedy passed away and the Dems lost that seat, they lost their opportunity.

I would say we actually got two stimulus packages, the one he got right after he got into office (no people didn't receive a check from the government the way we did under Bush, but then again that didn't exactly stimulate anything) plus the payroll tax break we got that took effect this year. With banks being too big to fail, I think they have done some things on wall street however I would like to see more reform there as well. The tax breaks were a compromise for unemployment benefits extension...I would have liked to see those expire but they would have expired for the middle class as well. As far as Libya goes...I'd like to see what exactly our involvement is there on a daily basis because it doesn't seem like there's much going on or it's just not being reported anymore.

I look at leadership a couple of different ways. While I would like for Obama to be the Sam Jackson in the room and kick ass and take names, I'm more of a realist and I know that he can't do that, no matter how bad I want him to. The problem it seems like is that everyone else in Washington has continued under the "business as usual" mantra where as Obama is trying to take a more civil approach and it's making him seem soft, making it seem like he's giving too much. But the facts show that anytime he's at the negotiating table with the Republicans, he walks away better than they do.
  • dawriter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Co-? sign he aint change ? , he fooled/is fooling alot of folks because he black ? got invested in this ? all he did was continue the GWB policies and some cases expanded them. When will ? wake up and smell the coffee. When this ? get re-elected he really gonna show his true colors.

Aside from the tax extension, how did he continue with GWB policies and/or expand them?

I hate when people throw blind accusations in the air with nothing of significance to support them.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    dawriter wrote: »
    Aside from the tax extension, how did he continue with GWB policies and/or expand them?

I hate when people throw blind accusations in the air with nothing of significance to support them.

The patriot act for instance..........? was set to expire twice since he been in office and there has been new provisions added. This ? went in on Libya without threat to us which was bush like but at least he(bush) got the approval from congress to go into Iraq, should i go on, you want links???
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the amount of money, and american life we lost in Iraq does not compare to Libya.

I am not dissapointed in him.
    When i consider the alternative, i am happy.
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I could never vote for the Fox News cosigning Republicans.
    If i did not want Obama in office, i just would not vote.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's been documented that Obama met with lobbyists from the healthcare industry and agreed that the final legislation would not have a public option, and this happened far before any HCR bill came to a vote, so no, Obama cannot claim he tried his best but the votes just weren't there. His support for the public option was nothing but theater.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Maybe people have a right to be disappointed. But, would it be any different if somebody else was in office? We would just have another person to complain about.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    It's been documented that Obama met with lobbyists from the healthcare industry and agreed that the final legislation would not have a public option, and this happened far before any HCR bill came to a vote, so no, Obama cannot claim he tried his best but the votes just weren't there. His support for the public option was nothing but theater.

I think he saw the writing on the wall. We can't have the same set up as Europe cuz we are not Europe. When the Democrats attempted to push for all out healthcare under Clinton, they lost. We actually got something that is making an impact. There is also the factor that even though we don't like it, this is a business centric country. You can't just throw American businesses under the bus, but you can attempt to reform, regulate and work with them so that they can eat with out eating the lunch of the people.

He created a hybrid social\economic system which subsidies people who can't pay and allows others to purchase healthcare without breaking the bank (we have to see if this is the case). There is also nothing to say that he couldn't push for a public option in his second term or add to the bill if he has the votes. America and their infinite whining and finger pointing ? up by electing Republicans to congress which destroyed any chance of getting things done. I guess we really do want another bush to do reckless ? without following the constitution.

On to the stimulus. My taxes have never been cheaper then it has been this year which is helping me to spend more money on shiny ? . Khadafi needed merking as much as Osama but unlike Iraq, dude was a real active threat to his people and America got UN and Nato involved unlike Bush. The treaty with Nato precludes that you don't have to ask Congress if you're not directly involved (not boots on the ground). This is a humanitarian mission that can actually be won because the people of that country supported and asked for our involvement. Obama will look good as a muthafucka once Khadafi is dead or gives up.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hope you don't mind if I play the other side. As far as the public option, he pushed for it and the democrats in the Senate said no to it. The House bill had the public option however the bill didn't have enough votes in the Senate. Can't blame Obama for that, after Kennedy passed away and the Dems lost that seat, they lost their opportunity.

I would say we actually got two stimulus packages, the one he got right after he got into office (no people didn't receive a check from the government the way we did under Bush, but then again that didn't exactly stimulate anything) plus the payroll tax break we got that took effect this year. With banks being too big to fail, I think they have done some things on wall street however I would like to see more reform there as well. The tax breaks were a compromise for unemployment benefits extension...I would have liked to see those expire but they would have expired for the middle class as well. As far as Libya goes...I'd like to see what exactly our involvement is there on a daily basis because it doesn't seem like there's much going on or it's just not being reported anymore.

I look at leadership a couple of different ways. While I would like for Obama to be the Sam Jackson in the room and kick ass and take names, I'm more of a realist and I know that he can't do that, no matter how bad I want him to. The problem it seems like is that everyone else in Washington has continued under the "business as usual" mantra where as Obama is trying to take a more civil approach and it's making him seem soft, making it seem like he's giving too much. But the facts show that anytime he's at the negotiating table with the Republicans, he walks away better than they do.

I don't need him to be sam jackson or to be an agry black man, as someone in another thread said, but I do need him to make an attempt to dictate the narrative. He had the american people totally on the progressive side for a minute, but then Republican PR machine got going and they totally hijacked the narrative, such that we're working from a republican oriented paradigm, the conservatives dictate what conventional wisdom is in Washington today, and that is largely a function of obama's relatively weak messaging.
    I mean why is it that the democratic president focusing all his attention on cutting the budget instead of creating jobs? Because he's adopted a conservative approach, whether because he's a pragmatist or for whatever reason.

And yea obama gets a little in every negotiation, but what do we end up with? Tax cuts, weak healthcare bill, dangerously weak financial reform, etc., the list goes on. And what is he going to run on in 2012? That he wants to protect the rich, but not quite as much as the Republicans, and he's going to cut social services, but not quite as much as republicans, that he's pro-war, but not quite as much as republicans... disastrous b.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited July 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    I think he saw the writing on the wall. We can't have the same set up as Europe cuz we are not Europe. When the Democrats attempted to push for all out healthcare under Clinton, they lost. We actually got something that is making an impact. There is also the factor that even though we don't like it, this is a business centric country. You can't just throw American businesses under the bus, but you can attempt to reform, regulate and work with them so that they can eat with out eating the lunch of the people.

He created a hybrid social\economic system which subsidies people who can't pay and allows others to purchase healthcare without breaking the bank (we have to see if this is the case). There is also nothing to say that he couldn't push for a public option in his second term or add to the bill if he has the votes. America and their infinite whining and finger pointing ? up by electing Republicans to congress which destroyed any chance of getting things done. I guess we really do want another bush to do reckless ? without following the constitution.

On to the stimulus. My taxes have never been cheaper then it has been this year which is helping me to spend more money on shiny ? . Khadafi needed merking as much as Osama but unlike Iraq, dude was a real active threat to his people and America got UN and Nato involved unlike Bush. The treaty with Nato precludes that you don't have to ask Congress if you're not directly involved (not boots on the ground). This is a humanitarian mission that can actually be won because the people of that country supported and asked for our involvement. Obama will look good as a muthafucka once Khadafi is dead or gives up.

Obama looks like a chump the way he got played by france and the arab league on libya.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Obama looks like a chump the way he got played by france and the arab league on libya.

Lol. How so? You gotta give me some details and links bro.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I don't need him to be sam jackson or to be an agry black man, as someone in another thread said, but I do need him to make an attempt to dictate the narrative. He had the american people totally on the progressive side for a minute, but then Republican PR machine got going and they totally hijacked the narrative, such that we're working from a republican oriented paradigm, the conservatives dictate what conventional wisdom is in Washington today, and that is largely a function of obama's relatively weak messaging.
    I mean why is it that the democratic president focusing all his attention on cutting the budget instead of creating jobs? Because he's adopted a conservative approach, whether because he's a pragmatist or for whatever reason.

And yea obama gets a little in every negotiation, but what do we end up with? Tax cuts, weak healthcare bill, dangerously weak financial reform, etc., the list goes on. And what is he going to run on in 2012? That he wants to protect the rich, but not quite as much as the Republicans, and he's going to cut social services, but not quite as much as republicans, that he's pro-war, but not quite as much as republicans... disastrous b.

He doesn't just get a little, He actually gets something that no other Democrat ever got. Dudes want the whole shabang and are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water. Ol emotional ass ? . You playing to the Republican narrative right now. Getting ? passed these do nothing republicans is next to impossible yet he gets it done (maybe not all spit shined and refined like you like it) without ? tricks.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited July 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    He doesn't just get a little, He actually gets something that no other Democrat ever got. Dudes want the whole shabang and are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water. Ol emotional ass ? . You playing to the Republican narrative right now. Getting ? passed these do nothing republicans is next to impossible yet he gets it done (maybe not all spit shined and refined like you like it) without ? tricks.

Dogg read all my posts in this thread, I'm not one sided on this from the beginning I said obama was aight. But in the same breath you're refusing to admit the fact that obama hasnt been a strong leader, don't blame the republicans for doing exactly what they're supposed to do.
    And you're giving obama way too much credit for what he has done, foh with more than any other dem, if he had a tenth the strength of FDR we'd be in a much better position.

And as for libya, French and Arab league got US to push for this war at the UNSC that has zilch to do with humanitarianism or US interests, under the pretext that it would be easy and we wouldn't have to do any of the work. Now we're months into this thing, not close to a resolution, int'l coalition is falling apart, and US is holding the bag. Obama should have told susan rice and clinton and powers and all the other hawk humanitarians in his administration to bacdafucup.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And how am I playing into the republican narrative? Seems like you are advocating Obama's embrace of republican style fake austerity, which is the very definition of buying into the conservative narrative.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Um.....wheres the change?

Obama is gonna leave 10,000 troops in Iraq, even after he said in 2008 he'll take us out of there in 6 months. We're gonna be in Afghanistan for the next 1000 years, spending billions and trillions of dollars overseas when America needs those dollars here. Obama being a bloodthirsty warmonger and loving Bush's policies too much are my main reasons for disliking him now.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And dont get me started on the Libya War, that ? was completely unnecessary for Americans to get involved in. With all the civilians we're killing in Libya now, it's only a matter of time before the Libyan people turn against America. Just like the Afghans and Iraqis hate America now. Obama claims he wants to build infrastructure in America but he seems more into building ? overseas than over here.

I'll concede that Obama is still better than any Republican out there though, Republicans make me sick to my stomach. But that isn't saying much when Obama has taken up most of Bush's policies. Dont see much change in the air, just more of the same.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In Barack Obama??

I hear a lot of people saying he hasn't done enough or has gone back on everything he's campaigned for, but what exactly are you upset about? I haven't gotten a straight answer on that question yet so maybe the IC can break it down for me. What has he done/not done that ? you off to the point you think he's a fraud???

I'll start a separate conversation, cause the other one is too jumbled for me. First off I didn't vote for Obama for a simple reason, he campaigned on "hope" and "change." Thats fine if you are running for a state government spot, but he was running for POTUS. Somebody tell me how he changed the landscape of Illinois. How can you promise a nation change, when you couldn't change 1 state.

But thats what my perspective was based off. I'm not a democrat or republican. I don't conform to ideals set by ppl hundreds of years ago. I conform to historical facts and events. So with that being said:

1. Unnecessarily pushed healthcare through
    2. Poor job of handling the Too Big to Fail banking situation. He was too lax. He had the banks crawling on their knees, and gave them mercy.
    3. Poor job of handling our employment situation
    4. Poor job of handling the debt ceiling debates

And I do believe that is in chronological order.
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In Barack Obama??

1. Pulled the Public Option from the Health Care bill

2. Reinstated the Bush Tax cuts

3. Didnt close Guantanamo

4. Maybe folding on the Dept Ceiling talks
  • dawriter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'd much rather be in Libya than Iraq. When we went into Iraq we were alone, in Libya, we're not even taking the lead.
  • dawriter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    bmoreeast wrote: »
    1. Pulled the Public Option from the Health Care bill

2. Reinstated the Bush Tax cuts

3. Didnt close Guantanamo

4. Maybe folding on the Dept Ceiling talks

Again, he didn't pull the public option from the Health Care Bill, the Senate did.

He did shut down Guantanamo but no one wants the prisoners on U.S. soil, so what's the alternative?

Number 4, you can't be mad at something you have no idea that he's done yet...
  • dawriter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Maybe people have a right to be disappointed. But, would it be any different if somebody else was in office? We would just have another person to complain about.

You have a right to voice your concerns and a duty to challenge your leaders...however many people claim to be upset and have no idea why they are upset which is why I asked.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You have a right to voice your concerns and a duty to challenge your leaders...however many people claim to be upset and have no idea why they are upset which is why I asked.

I'm waiting for you to disagree with my post.....lets see u defend your boy