When and why did the deficit become such a major concern

Options
I Self Lord & Master
I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Social Lounge
Im 24 years old, so i remember when the deficit was literally nothing more than an obscure tourist attraction in Lower Manhattan. (the debt clock)

It has been in the trillions for several decades and it hasn't garnered the faintest of interest from the public nor politicians until relatively recently. Suddenly, almost out of nowhere, its one of , if not the , most important matter of concern within the nation.

It became a hot topic within the media which led to citizens becoming aware of it, now all kinds of social budget cuts are being made and the debt is being used as the 'justification'.

WHY?

Why does it matter now, and not THEN.

Comments

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    A Democrat got elected president.

/thread
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »

/thread

please elaborate

Clinton was elected as well not too long ago. His tenure was considered a "prosperous" time for americans during his tenure even w/ trillions of debt
  • shootemwon
    edited July 2011
    Options
    please elaborate

Clinton was elected as well not too long ago. His tenure was considered a "prosperous" time for americans during his tenure even w/ trillions of debt

When Clinton came into office, many Republicans were crying about overspending and the need for debt reduction. It lead to gridlock in the budget process and the government shut down. The public sided with Clinton, and the GOP was forced to compromise. However, we later balanced the budget under Clinton, and were beginning to reduce the national debt, so who could complain?
  • shootemwon
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^^^? , what a terrible and useless post.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

rofl yoooooo its not even worth it fam. I just got into it with dude in another thread
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Conservatives love talking deficit reduction (by means of cuts) during a Dem presidency because it deflates the public sector's market share, paves the way for tax cuts, and undermines Dem economic strategy.
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited July 2011
    Options
    When Clinton came into office, many Republicans were crying about overspending and the need for debt reduction. It lead to gridlock in the budget process and the government shut down. The public sided with Clinton, and the GOP was forced to compromise. However, we later balanced the budget under Clinton, and were beginning to reduce the national debt, so who could complain?

yup /thread...
  • Dirty District
    Dirty District Members Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

/thread

This right here. Its a convenient political football that matches up well with a shaky economy.
  • shootemwon
    edited July 2011
    Options
    nah what I'm saying to u sounds like Martian talk becuz I'm using language you're not used to hearing about a conversation u don't usually have.

Aren't you the dude who claimed Washington DC had the legal authority to unilaterally declare statehood?

Right.
  • shootemwon
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Supreme trolling would involve being taken seriously by someone.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Because a democrat and black man was in office so they make ? sound worse to make him seem worse.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

co-signature... ? that guy