Seriously.. What The Hell Happened To Lauryn Hill?

Options
booty-gif-dot-com
booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Original Article I wrote at Crazy Hot Tracks Dot Com

The story has been told many times. Jersey girl joins Rap group based in Jersey named the Fugees. She also keeps acting on the side and steals the show in the movie Sister Act, The Geez blast off with a remix of the club banger <strong>Nappy Heads</strong> which tears the clubs up in 1994, there second album The Score completely destroys the charts. In 1998 she spins off a solo effort called the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill which is clearly one of the best albums of any genre! It unites so many different taste. Old school Soul lovers dig it because you can hear her challenging Donny Hathaway, Nina Simone. Hip Hop lovers dig it because shes got a tight flow and her story telling is stellar. Caribbean and Ragaee lovers dig her because songs like Lost Ones have the feel of Dancehall Tracks! The young like her, the old like her, The street likes her, the critics and even the Grammys get it right and she wins 5 grammys. It almost look like you could talk about her as the Great unifier - an artist in the realm of Prince Or Michael Jackson that cross all boundaries to appeal to some many different people with there massive talent. Then it just shut down!!!

seriously Lauryn WTF?
lauryn-hill-011508.jpg

With the exception of some quirky acoustic unplugged set theres been no follow up album, The musicians that played on the record feel they were under credited, her label allegedly built her a Half Million home studio but still NO NEW MUSIC. In addition a fued to this day that still exist between her and her old bandmates the Fugees Pras and Wyclef. Lauryn has made some appearances doing half baked shows, often going on stage 3-4 hours after she was scheduled and often seen wearing pancake makeup, and some wild unkept looking afro. It was well documented about her relation with the son of Bob Marley (Rohan Marley) and they have several kids together. The rumor was that she had a nervous breakdown after the pressure of following up the Miseducation, the lawsuit of under crediting her calloborators and that her baby daddy wouldnt marry her? WHo knows whats true?

The Pretty Sexy Lauren that I remember
lauryn-hill-freeform-dreadlocks.gif

What i do know is that its a sad story! I figured she would take a few years off and get her personal life together but like D'Angelo time just went by and still no sign of her putting out anything new, and of course her bizarre, strange and half ass public performances! At press time Lauryn has five kids with a sixth on the way, by the aforementioned Rohan which is strange because according to reports he was already married anyway. The complications are just on another planet to me. I hope L-Boogie can get it together one day, but on the other hand maybe we are just asking for too much from her and she's living the way she want. IF thats true its strange to say the least. If you are coming back, put out new music and promote more professionally and not so erratic if you are retiring and can live off your royalties then retire and dont tease the public with half hearted comebacks. I dont know what is going to happen but i wish her well, i just dont believe that mentally shes all there anymore!

5 Star Classic!! my 2nd favorite album of all time behind Songs In The Key Of Life. (Stevie Wonder)
LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

Comments

• Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Fame happened... The Music Industry Happened...
  • dawriter
    dawriter Members Posts: 46
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Actually, her fans happened. The problem was that people expected too much of her and they still do. Lauryn put out a great album. It was a really good album, however she never asked to be placed on the pedestal that she was placed on, she never asked to be idolized the way she was and she's not the savior of music that everyone wants her to be. She's living her life the way she wants to and she doesn't owe anything to anyone. However, the fact that she is worshiped the way she is, I have to believe that it helps cause some of her erratic behavior, the showing up late to shows, the disrespect she shows the fans that have paid money to see her. She believes her own hype however can you blame her? Everywhere she goes I'm sure that people beg and plead for her to come back...
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I was at Rock the Bells when she was performing last year. People were walking away from the stage to see Wiz Khalifa, because she was that bad. I chose to avoid both, and just stood in line for water. I don't think it's expecting too much of her just to ask for a decent performance,..
  • smoothballa81
    smoothballa81 Members Posts: 157
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's been thirteen years now. Get over it! She is done. And I do believe it was her over obsessive ass fans who did this. The album was great. But, it was no What's Going On?