How long can a rapper be out the game and REALISTICALLY expect to return and get love

Options
American Loo VII 3D
American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Reason
I saw a video of Drag-on spittin some sub-par bars.

Nevermind dude's flow sounded like a NY ? tryna sound like a south ? from NY

Dude aint been hot since 2000. Yet the video is called "The New Chief" or some ? .

IMO, rap is a fickle, faddish genre. if you're out the game for over 3 years, its very hard to come back.

THOUGHTS?

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    A few years, but only after a decent release.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    depends on who it is
  • P-Unit Productions
    P-Unit Productions Members Posts: 963 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Naw, how can you not put out any RELEVANT music and still be hot,,get signed to rinky ? records and still think you gonna have a buzz..FOH...last i heard of Drag-on he was on a song with Juvenile maybe 1999..the people gonna get tired of Gucci also, mixtapes will only take you so far in the game..
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    some dudes have a pretty faithful fan base that will support them regardess..

now drag-on.. i duno bout thta one
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    In this day i dont think it will work. maybe cats like me would check for them but aint no youngin care bout drag-on, but Drag been ? with Casiddy for a minute.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Drag-on always had a flow like that though. But I agree- he needs to hang it up. After ur gone for 2yrs ur basically a wrap unless ur on eminem's level or 50 or something like that.....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I thought Drag-On was an ATL translplant that moved to NY...that may explain his flow...but for most rappers, musicians period, fans are so fickle that being out the spotlight for more than a year can damage your career unless you already have a seriously established fan base like Jay-Z
  • bigduece69
    bigduece69 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I feel it all depends on who it is and the type of production and publicity team they have surrounding them.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Naw, how can you not put out any RELEVANT music and still be hot,,get signed to rinky ? records and still think you gonna have a buzz..FOH...last i heard of Drag-on he was on a song with Juvenile maybe 1999..the people gonna get tired of Gucci also, mixtapes will only take you so far in the game..

if they aint tired yet it aint gonna happen
    Gucci knows his fanbase and as long as he can keep doing shows he wont fade
    only on the IC do you hear ? like this
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited March 2010
    Options
    depends on who it is

most rappers are not on the level of Jay or Eminem.

they say 1 human year = 7 years for a dog.

I say 1 human year = 2 years for a rapper.

.........so if a ? aint drop an album in 2 years, thats like a 4 year hiatus.

rap is a constantly changing genre, too. so if you dropped your last major album in 2002 and its 2010....? thats 16 rapper years ago!!!!!
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That's hard to tell, but it really depends if you've been making consistently good music over the years. Ex: Jay-Z, Eminem. Honestly, the only artists that are even gonna "sell" anymore or sell out shows anymore are those that have been out since the mid to late nineties..........
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Drag-on always had a flow like that though. But I agree- he needs to hang it up. After ur gone for 2yrs ur basically a wrap unless ur on eminem's level or 50 or something like that.....

i was a big Drag-on fan around 1998-2001

dudes flow never sounded like how it sound now.
  • Dupac
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i just watched that movie with him, jet li dmx and gabby union the other day....and remebered how cool dude used to be

so i'd give it a listen
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Drag- On was hot?
  • Young D.Wash
    Young D.Wash Members Posts: 212
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yea I couldn't see anyone leaving for over 3 years and come back and still be hot now days , like I don't think people gonna really ? with shyne too much cuz he been gone too long
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    outkast got out of the rap game after Aquemini (I don't count Stankonia) and came back several years later with that double disc ablum. I hated it, but they definately got 'love' for it.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Drag- On was hot?

"hot" being a subjective term when referring to Drag-on.

i can say that I was a fan of his music. one of my favorite ruff ryders. im just using him as an example though

i remember Amil was tryna come back out in 2008. knew that wasnt gonna happen.
  • P-Unit Productions
    P-Unit Productions Members Posts: 963 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    most rappers are not on the level of Jay or Eminem.

they say 1 human year = 7 years for a dog.

I say 1 human year = 2 years for a rapper.

.........so if a ? aint drop an album in 2 years, thats like a 4 year hiatus.

rap is a constantly changing genre, too. so if you dropped your last major album in 2002 and its 2010....? thats 16 rapper years ago!!!!!

New York's last hope..He aint gonna do numbers in the south..he been gone about 20 rap years
    shyne.gif
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited March 2010
    Options
    jaz_o2.jpg

^^^^^^^^ He doesnt like the implications of this thread. At all.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i was a big Drag-on fan around 1998-2001

dudes flow never sounded like how it sound now.

He always seemed to be on some half tryna be country ish to me lol. I aint hear no new music though so I shouldnt have commented. But anyway like i said....2yrs max i think. That's why Camron can't get his buzz back (amongst other things)....he's been gone too long.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Talib Kweli's only great album was in like 2002 when him and Hi-Teck did Reflection Eternal, now this year, I think, they are dropping another album together. I'm interested to see how that works out.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    definitely not too long...

my ? killa was out a lil too long, i mean he still got his following but it dwindled a bit..

its a saran wrap for dragon...
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited March 2010
    Options
    He always seemed to be on some half tryna be country ish to me lol. I aint hear no new music though so I shouldnt have commented. But anyway like i said....2yrs max i think. That's why Camron can't get his buzz back (amongst other things)....he's been gone too long.

yeah killa cam had a STRONG movement and now its like dude is struggling to maintain.

dont get me wrong: he still has fans, but his greatest success is likely in the past now.

but for some odd reason, i think Mystikal could come back and put out a hit album. iono why lol
  • Dupac
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i wonder if mystikal got anything to say about these developements
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    "hot" being a subjective term when referring to Drag-on.

i can say that I was a fan of his music. one of my favorite ruff ryders. im just using him as an example though

i remember Amil was tryna come back out in 2008. knew that wasnt gonna happen.

I think its a result of what they left the Game with.
    Like if you leave on luke-warm status you cant expect the anticipation for your next LP to be booming.