Agree or Disagree: Jay-Z and Kanye have the same number of classics

Options

Comments

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    What? I'm just talking about awards. I ? with both graduation and mbdtf, but they def not classics. Maybe personal classics to you, but not a classic in general from what I see

No such thing as an instant classic
    I did say give it time
    I still think its his best album..
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay Z only has 1 classic and it's The Blueprint? Only on the IC man

That's what im sayin.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited July 2011
    Options
    No such thing as an instant classic
    I did say give it time
    I still think its his best album..

That's why RD wasn't considered a classic in 1996. Classic take time to marinate and make a impact. That's why everybodies arguement about it not bein popular in '96 is irrelevant.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay Z only has 1 classic and it's The Blueprint? Only on the IC man

TBA just has too many great songs: "Encore", "My 1st song", "PSA", "Problems", "What More Can I say", "Moments of Clarity", and thats just all I remember off head. Great ? album
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That's why RD wasn't considered a classic in 1996. Classic take time to marinate and make a impact. That's why everybodies arguement about it not bein popular in '96 is irrelevant.

Na, man, AEOM was praised upon release, so were LAD, Illmatic, The Blueprint, ? , and GODT. If Jay had faded out after releasing RD, it would NOT be considered a classic. Yes, it's his best album lyrically, but it just doesn't belong in a room with joints like "The Chronic", "College Dropout", or "Ready 2 Die".
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited July 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Na, man, AEOM was praised upon release, so were LAD, Illmatic, The Blueprint, ? , and GODT. If Jay had faded out after releasing RD, it would NOT be considered a classic. Yes, it's his best album lyrically, but it just doesn't belong in a room with joints like "The Chronic", "College Dropout", or "Ready 2 Die".

most of those albums you mentioned didn't even recieve 5 mics wen they first dropped. except illmatic . and let's keep it real, they only rated LAD 5 mics becuz Big died rite wen the album came out. Same wit all eyez on me. It wasn't till a source reissue that they rated AEOM 5 mics.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Complete co-sign. By today's standards RD is a great album. When it came out it was so-so
    it was so - so? why because it didnt go platinum when it first came out?
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

If RD is a classic then other 96 albums such as Legal Drug Money, IWW, and Hell on Earth are classics, because RD is no better than those albums to this day. Plus RD didn't have the impact on the Hip-Hop scene that most albums that are considered classics have. RD is only a considered a classic because Jay-Z is considered one of the GOATs.
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    it was so - so? why because it didnt go platinum when it first came out?

Rate it by the standards of albums that came out in 96 like AEOM, "It was Written", "Ironman", "The Score", "Hell on Earth", and The Roots album (forgot the name), you still calling it a classic?
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If RD is a classic then other 96 albums such as Legal Drug Money, IWW, and Hell on Earth are classics, because RD is no better than those albums to this day. Plus RD didn't have the impact on the Hip-Hop scene that most albums that are considered classics have. RD is only a considered a classic because Jay-Z is considered one of the GOATs.

i wouldn't argue these being classics too.
  • semi-auto-mato
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Rate it by the standards of albums that came out in 96 like AEOM, "It was Written", "Ironman", "The Score", "Hell on Earth", and The Roots album (forgot the name), you still calling it a classic?

abso-? -lutely...dawg i owned everyone of the albums u just named except aeom (i had a east coast bias) and none got more play than reasonable doubt. right now, today, this minute, this second i still feel reasonable doubt is better than all of them just like i did when it came out in 96.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    and The Roots album (forgot the name)
    ........lol, ? man.
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    ........lol, ? man.

So it wasn't a better album than "Reasonable Doubt"?
  • illogics
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So it wasn't a better album than "Reasonable Doubt"?

? you don't even know what "IT" was called. You just throwin names out. Off top you can name more songs and recite more verses off "THAT" album than reasonable doubt?
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? you don't even know what "IT" was called. You just throwin names out. Off top you can name more songs and recite more verses off "THAT" album than reasonable doubt?

I haven't listened to the album in years, but I'm not some idiot who would mention something just for the sake of mentioning it. I haven't heard RD in years either, but even if I did forget, it's mentioned here like EVERYDAY.
  • illogics
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I haven't listened to the album in years, but I'm not some idiot who would mention something just for the sake of mentioning it. I haven't heard RD in years either, but even if I did forget, it's mentioned here like EVERYDAY.

Can you answer the question tho?
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Can you answer the question tho?

I can't recite any lyrics off of either album, I don't see your point. I'm not even that type of fan, I know the lyrics to like 3 songs in total and they are all 2Pac songs
  • illogics
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I can't recite any lyrics off of either album, I don't see your point. I'm not even that type of fan, I know the lyrics to like 3 songs in total and they are all 2Pac songs

lol, aight fam.
  • semi-auto-mato
    edited July 2011
    Options

if u only know lyrics to 3 songs than ur not a hip hop fan. how can u talk classics?
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited July 2011
    Options

i can.........
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I like "Graduation" but I think "Barry Bonds" and "? N Hot girls" take it out of the CLASSIC category

Thank You!

A former co-worker of mine said I was crazy when I said the same thing.

I think Jay Z has three (Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint (even though it had "Jigga That ? " on it), & Black Album).

IMO Kanye has two (CD & LR). Graduation was good, but not classic IMO. MBDTF was good, but I'd give it a 4/5.
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    if u only know lyrics to 3 songs than ur not a hip hop fan. how can u talk classics?

Because I've listened to all the classics, but I'm not the type of dude who can listen to a song over and over and just memorize the lyrics. I've listened to AEOM dozens of times but I couldn't recite song lyrics if you paid me. It's why I don't make quotables thread (unless to mock Big Sean)
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i can.........

Well, you're clearly a WINNER
  • illogics
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Straight Foolishness
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well, you're clearly a WINNER

lol u know i had to throw dat in there bruh.