Marlo's run was pure luck

Options

Comments

• Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    yeah and also Marlo wasn't a low level dealer

otherwise he wouldn't have had all those corners, especially considering he got them ? the old fashioned way

? let marlo run wild cause mofos were shook of him, his team was more disciplined than anybody else at the time of his reign

Avon had bread when he came out, but he couldn't even find competent soldiers, plus he was resistant to politicking

in real life a ? like Marlo could've gotten away had his attorney game been tight LOL

Marlo was a low to mid level dealer in season 3...

Imma let this go because yall not seeing my point. Maybe I watched too many 007 movies. I just find it hilarious that a decamillionaire can't hire a sniper/assassin/contract killer/shooter to take out 3 ? and a ? . Its unrealistic to me...
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Rey ? wrote: »
    Marlo was a low to mid level dealer in season 3...

Imma let this go because yall not seeing my point. Maybe I watched too many 007 movies. I just find it hilarious that a decamillionaire can't hire a sniper/assassin/contract killer/shooter to take out 3 ? and a ? . Its unrealistic to me...

what's your definition of a mid-level dealer?

you saying Avon and Marlo wasn't on the same level resource wise?

and I think you forgetting Marlo had more than just those few main characters on his team working for him

ain't no way you holding corners like that and you just mid-level
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Plenty of Mid-Level ? got corners, employees and a direct product line. The hoods is filled with ? who doing ? like that. A few ? for muscle, yall took over some dusty blocks and you got some ? connect, so now you a kingpin? lol. A kingpin is a ? like Rayful Edmond. ? like Terry & Meech Flenory. Which Marlo was no where near until Avon and Stringer went down. In season 3, Marlo was basically a more violent, more intelligent version of Bodie when he had his independent corner.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Rey ? wrote: »
    Plenty of Mid-Level ? got corners, employees and a direct product line. The hoods is filled with ? who doing ? like that. A few ? for muscle, yall took over some dusty blocks and you got some ? connect, so now you a kingpin? lol. A kingpin is a ? like Rayful Edmond. ? like Terry & Meech Flenory. Which Marlo was no where near until Avon and Stringer went down. In season 3, Marlo was basically a more violent, more intelligent version of Bodie when he had his independent corner.

I could kinda see that except Marlo had muscle and more corners. Marlo already had a nice ass whip and guards in season 3 so on 2nd thought, not quite. But all things considered, he was a mid level ? but Bodie was closer to being basically a bottom feeder
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    how you figure mayne?

by your logic, all the bosses were lucky................cause basically prop joe was only successful that long because no prior Marlos existed

Avon was only successful for so long cause he was born into the game, and the city wasn't serious about dealing with major crimes before he finally got locked up

Stringer was lucky cause he should've at least gotten brought in with Avon on a conspiracy case, but they left him on the street so that he had the opportunity to further wash money and insulate himself from the street

you see where I'm going with this?

all I'm saying is circumstances present themselves all the time, but bosses with sense know what to do to capitalize off opportunities. marlo could've easily ? himself over had he made different decisions

so it's not fair to say the boy run was only based on luck, when everybody else had a chain of events that benefited them as well

you sounding biased champ :shrugs

Again, I never said people never benefitted from things outside of their control, but the magnitudes of the things you're comparing don't sync.

First, Avon had family in the biz, but based on everything we know, he and Stringer built their organization on their own. That is in no way similar to Marlo's rise being fast tracked by the city tearing down buildings that have been up for decades and basically funneling the business right to Marlo.

Stringer, didn't get sent up because they intentionally made a deal so that he could stay out. Again, that's in no way comparable to the political climate changing in a way so that the police weren't even allowed to investigate Marlo anymore.

What you're arguing is apples and oranges. Sure, Avon and Stringer had opportunities that allowed them to turn things to their favor, but the breaks that I mentioned for Marlo did more than that. They actually worked together to open the door right for him.
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Again, I never said people never benefitted from things outside of their control, but the magnitudes of the things you're comparing don't sync.

First, Avon had family in the biz, but based on everything we know, he and Stringer built their organization on their own. That is in no way similar to Marlo's rise being fast tracked by the city tearing down buildings that have been up for decades and basically funneling the business right to Marlo.

Stringer, didn't get sent up because they intentionally made a deal so that he could stay out. Again, that's in no way comparable to the political climate changing in a way so that the police weren't even allowed to investigate Marlo anymore.

What you're arguing is apples and oranges. Sure, Avon and Stringer had opportunities that allowed them to turn things to their favor, but the breaks that I mentioned for Marlo did more than that. They actually worked together to open the door right for him.

This explains it. Some of yall forgetting details and gotta take out yall box sets and rewatch. Stringer didnt go to jail because they had nothing on him once Wallace was killed
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    This explains it. Some of yall forgetting details and gotta take out yall box sets and rewatch. Stringer didnt go to jail because they had nothing on him once Wallace was killed

Yeah, worded what I was saying badly. I meant that the deal that Avon and the other cats that went down basically brought an end to the case. All the people at the top was happy, so Stringer got away because they didn't really pry into his dealings as much.

Basically the guy was making it seem like Stringer going free was a lucky break, but it wasn't really and definitely not comparable to anything that worked in Marlo's favor.
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    Options

bruh that's semantics. cause we can assume Avon built his org from the ground up, but realistically how many mofos with fam in the game have to build like that? Plus I don't think you are considering that just like the political climate prevented marlo from being investigated, Avon's org was running for years without police attention as well.....................isn't that the same thing?

in real life, Stringer would've been pulled in on a conspiracy case, so we know the writers put him being free in the story as a way to make it more dramatic. but we all know stringer should've been courtside with avon

Marlo had to build his ? from the ground up as well, nor did he have the same resources as Avon.................Avon survived an attempt on his life and some more ? .

bottom line is they all had the same amount of "luck"

Avon could've easily been in a different situation had he made better decisions...............all those external factors that you say really helped marlo are exaggerated because he could've easily ? them up had he made poor decisions like other characters
    Yeah, worded what I was saying badly. I meant that the deal that Avon and the other cats that went down basically brought an end to the case. All the people at the top was happy, so Stringer got away because they didn't really pry into his dealings as much.

Basically the guy was making it seem like Stringer going free was a lucky break, but it wasn't really and definitely not comparable to anything that worked in Marlo's favor.

what made Marlo more lucky then Stringer in that instance?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Yeah...by smashing all the boxing kids' moms.

then he got shot and started ? the nurse
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2011
    Options
    bruh that's semantics. cause we can assume Avon built his org from the ground up, but realistically how many mofos with fam in the game have to build like that? Plus I don't think you are considering that just like the political climate prevented marlo from being investigated, Avon's org was running for years without police attention as well.....................isn't that the same thing?

Avon had been running his business for years be without being investigated because no one knew he was. He was just that careful. Remember, at the beginning there were people in the police that didn't even believe Avon really existed. That's not luck or a break. That's skillful handling of business. That's completely different from the cops having Marlo in their sights and ready to proceed with a full scale evaluation and then being told to drop it because the mayor wanted them to focus on other areas.
    in real life, Stringer would've been pulled in on a conspiracy case, so we know the writers put him being free in the story as a way to make it more dramatic. but we all know stringer should've been courtside with avon

Conspiracy based on what? Don't just make up BS for the sake of making up BS. There are tons of real life examples where people knee deep in the game walk because there is no proof.
    Marlo had to build his ? from the ground up as well, nor did he have the same resources as Avon.................Avon survived an attempt on his life and some more ? .

Once again, you are completely missing how big a deal the the Towers coming down was. Marlo was a nobody prior to that. The vast majority of the business in the Westside was being done in the towers. When they came down, it funneled all the business to the corners, so Marlo went from being a nickle and dime dude on nobody's radar to being a major player. That is a far more significant thing than simply having a few family connections. Say you got a Best Buy in a town that catches 95% of the business and then you got a smaller local electronics strore that soaks up the other 5%. Now say the Best Buy burns down and the local electronics stores business increases by a factor of 15. Are you really going to say that the increase for the little store is due more to good business practices than a freak accident which those store owners had no control over? That's the same situation.
    bottom line is they all had the same amount of "luck"

You haven't even given any good examples of luck that paid off for Avon. All you've said is his family connections, which we have no idea how much they actually helped, and Stringer not being arrested which is due just as much to their skillful maneuvering as any so called luck.
    Avon could've easily been in a different situation had he made better decisions...............all those external factors that you say really helped marlo are exaggerated because he could've easily ? them up had he made poor decisions like other characters

You make it seem like Avon made such terrible decisions. What were they? He went down the first time because he had a freaking task force working around the clock specifically just to put him down. And again, no one is saying that Marlo didn't do well in capitalizing off the opportunities but that doesn't change the fact that he had some pretty major turns work in his favor. You can try to minimize them as much as you want, but anyone with reason has to acknowledge the importance of those things.
    what made Marlo more lucky then Stringer in that instance?

What luck? I'm not even getting your point here. Avon and Stringer were super careful in everything they did. The task force was putting in major work and really only were successful in catching the with the most bare bones of charges. You're making it seem like they just accidentally forgot to investigate Stringer. McNulty wanted Stringer bad. They just didn't have anything on him, and that was due to the careful crafting of their business.

See this is what you're not understanding. You're equating something with Stringer that he and Avon had direct control over to a bunch of things that Marlo had no control over. Stringer not getting sent up was a direct result of the good moves he and Avon had made in the building of their empire. The towers coming down, the police being filled with corruption, the forming of the Co-op, the actions of Omar, etc.... These are all things that Marlo had absolutely no control over whatsoever. He did nothing to make those things happen, yet they all worked out great for him.

Again I'm not saying that Marlo was an idiot. I'm also not saying that he did nothing to earn his spot. But you're acting like he was some criminal genius when in fact the only thing in the whole show that he really did to put himself on top was betray Joe and get that connect. Everything that happened before that pretty much landed in his lap, and even when he made his big move, his fall from the top was pretty much immediate. Avon was running things for years. Marlo was running things for a couple weeks.
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    Options
    you know what Monk, I can't even dispute your last argument like that so you got me there champ

the defense rests LOL

but I will say Avon made a couple serious mistakes:

not listening to Stringer when he 1st got locked up

not listening to Stringer when he got out

being sentimental when dealing with ? over street ? , and holding grudges (with letting Mouzone ? Stringer)

and with beefing over corners with Marlo when he needed a connect 1st

had he changed his decisions over those topics, he would've gotten back on top eventually

and
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2011
    Options
    you know what Monk, I can't even dispute your last argument like that so you got me there champ

the defense rests LOL

but I will say Avon made a couple serious mistakes:

not listening to Stringer when he 1st got locked up

not listening to Stringer when he got out

being sentimental when dealing with ? over street ? , and holding grudges (with letting Mouzone ? Stringer)

and with beefing over corners with Marlo when he needed a connect 1st

had he changed his decisions over those topics, he would've gotten back on top eventually

and

Good cause after that long as ? , I was tapped. lol

I will concede that Avon did go down to the dumb thug level a little too much when he got out. I still think he had to go at Marlo because Marlo was a problem. But you're right, he should have paid a little more heed to what Stringer accomplished.

I honestly think Avon went at Marlo so hard because Marlo reminded him of himself. Therefore he kinda knew what Marlo was about and knew he had to get rid of him.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Avon Cheerleading For Marlo Seemed Out Of Character...Why Ride With A ? You Had So Much Animosity Towards? Granted He Got Paid But Still....I Thought Barksdale Was Gonna Do Some Sneaky Backstabbing ? For Stealing All His Corners
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Avon was gone for life right? There was no point in him trying to fight battles against Marlo for control of the street at that point. His empire had been completely wiped out.

I also wouldn't consider what he was doing to be cheerleading. He set it up so that Marlo had to take care of his fam, so at that point he had a vested interest in Marlo's success, so of course he'd want him to come out on top.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marlo going at avon was like someone going after an already dazed person and just landing the knock out blow.

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    Avon Cheerleading For Marlo Seemed Out Of Character...Why Ride With A ? You Had So Much Animosity Towards? Granted He Got Paid But Still....I Thought Barksdale Was Gonna Do Some Sneaky Backstabbing ? For Stealing All His Corners

That's the game bruh... Anyone who comes from nothing and handles their business like bosses get respect... Plus they were both from West Baltimore so seeing Marlo runnin those East Baltimore ? had to have put a tear in Avon eye.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no it wasn't. after avon went away, the territory was there for the taking as the barksdale organization was in shambles. anyone could have taken over. Marlo made the moves to do so.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yes, anyone could have taken over, but remember all the other bosses were busy buying into that Co-op ? . As a result Marlo was the only one putting in work to claim the crown. The only potential block to him was Avon, and Stringer got rid of him for Marlo.
  • R.D.
    Options
    you just killed your own argument

"Marlo was the only one putting in work to claim the crown"
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, anyone could have taken over, but remember all the other bosses were busy buying into that Co-op ? . As a result Marlo was the only one putting in work to claim the crown. The only potential block to him was Avon, and Stringer got rid of him for Marlo.

lol. that's not pure luck.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I never said it was pure luck. I've said from the beginning that his actions were partially responsible for his success, but he was lucky.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    luck is basically being prepared for when the opportunity appears.

a focused avon would have killed marlo way early....but he had too many distractions in and out of his circle.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I was burnt watching the end of season 3

Stringer saved Marlo by rating out Avon, Marlo was stupid, dude at the rim shop tried to warn him but he was way too over confident and was slippin' hard, dude was in the middle of a war out in the open right after one of the boss's of a rival crew got killed. That is luck, nothing to do with skill or inteligence or tactical maneuvering, just luck. Them raiding Avon's safe house before they got to ride on Marlo was hard to watch almost as bad as Omar getting killed.