Body weight exercises

Options
BP OIL SPILL FACE
BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Weight Room
I've decided to take a break from the weights for awhile, because of my right thigh(years of lifting, along with lifting too heavy and overdoing it) and decided to do body weight exercises. Now, I already do a lot of push-ups, but I wanted a body weight workout to work my whole body and I came across this YouTube video:

What do you guys think of it?

Btw, I did this body weight exercise last night before going to bed, and I must admit, it's a challenge. lol I did three sets of them six workouts that's in the video. It'll work you harder than weights can.

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Good look ill peep this later..

I stay ony my dips.. Chins/Pullups
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Good look ill peep this later..

I stay ony my dips.. Chins/Pullups

Fa'sho fam. I want to start doing dips and chin/pull-ups, too.
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Work on your handbalancing too fam. Not too many people know that balance is strength!

Thats how most olympic gymnast are stong as ? . Of course do the pistols, jumps and sprints for your legs.

Google Christopher Sommers too for more information on diffrent bodyweight workouts, he's an olympic gymnast coach.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Didn't watch the whole video. I love weight lifting but truthfully (and I did it when I was younger) you only need the following exercises to build a nice body:

Pullups - upper back/shoulders
    Dips - chest/triceps
    Hanging knee raises - abs
    Squats or lunges - legs
    Back extensions - lower back

And you'll only need weights for the legs. You can do alot with just that alone.

You can always throw in push ups and burpees (ugh!) as well but i always fall back to those 5 above moves when I need to give my central nervous system a break from going all out with weights
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It's all about balance bro, just came back from the gym did a full rotation from 4:00pm to 6:00pm... You have to work on your elevation and balance. Then can increase your maximum strength.. You might want to look into vortex exercising as well...
  • playmaker88
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Can anyone here do muscle ups.. im tryin to get there..
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    It's all about balance bro, just came back from the gym did a full rotation from 4:00pm to 6:00pm... You have to work on your elevation and balance. Then can increase your maximum strength.. You might want to look into vortex exercising as well...

What is vortex exercising? I googled it and all I seen was some ? ass vortex equipment.
  • Saboi 10.5
    Saboi 10.5 Members Posts: 542
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Im a fan of bodyweight exercises

My favourite exercise has got to be hindu squats, builds power but not size
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    What is vortex exercising? I googled it and all I seen was some ? ass vortex equipment.

Hmm.. It's basically you are strengthening your core system. Power duration.. To give you that maximum performance..
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Looks tough. Good job switching it up and listening to your body so you don't hurt worse. I do Insanity, and that uses a lot of bodyweight resistance.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Madbeats wrote: »
    Looks tough. Good job switching it up and listening to your body so you don't hurt worse. I do Insanity, and that uses a lot of bodyweight resistance.

Props fam. I did this exercise again last night and it'll still wear you out. lol Each of the six exercises, I do 3 sets of 20, and it's a killer.
  • MissLeading
    MissLeading Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the vid. I'm going to add that to my routine and see how it works. I'm into basic cardio and weight lifting. I need to switch up my routine since I'm not getting the full results I want.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the vid. I'm going to add that to my routine and see how it works. I'm into basic cardio and weight lifting. I need to switch up my routine since I'm not getting the full results I want.

No problem. I think you will like it. I've done it 3 times this week.
  • playmaker88
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Still havent watched the vid but.. have any of yall done hindu pushups.. i tried them here and there.. that ? is a ? ..
    I got two lil proteges ..

one was ? last year.. this is too hard.. now he is one that ? .. lil ? is gonna be a beast

and this other cat.. had me dying as well thinkin he was gonna see results in 5 minutes now this lil dude is killin it doing more pushups than me.
  • rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Those are some serious pushups. I think I may have to incorporate those into my routine!
  • MarshalJames
    MarshalJames Members Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I f you have done body building in past and now you are not finding the proper time then friend it is not a problem more.You must have to do some push ups and chin ups on daily basis.It will keep your body stretched and tight other wise as you know that the irregular big gaps in body building make the body again bulky which also looks awkward.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I mix it up with weights and calisthenics. Both serve their purpose. People usually lean towards one or the other but I think u can reach your max potential using both.
  • playmaker88
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I mix it up with weights and calisthenics. Both serve their purpose. People usually lean towards one or the other but I think u can reach your max potential using both.

Ok Ok i see oyu playa with the clapping pullups i might have to try that but i dont think the bar is high enough

Hook me up with a routine

I got Bars at the park and parallel bars..

I usually do

3 sets of 15 dips.

3 sets of 10 chins

3 sets of 10 pullups

occasionally do wide grip ..

i got a couple of kids under my wing that hang at the park.. two 14 year olds they use to ? about it now they are good with it.. and seeing results

Here is these two clowns joking around
  • truth spitter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bruh to get maximum results from calisthenics u gotta experiment and push urself. I'm sure 3 sets of 10 pull-ups aint doing nothin for your back anymore. This is what I did during the summer. I also have a resistance band.

Monday/Wednesday
    Chest, Triceps, Shoulders – 5 Rounds to 10 Rounds
    1. Jump rope- 30 seconds
    2. 20 standard push-ups
    3. Frontal Raises – 10 Each Side
    4. Tricep Extensions – 10 Each Side
    5. Lateral Raises – 10 Each Side
    6. 15 Diamond Push-ups
    7. Jump rope- 30 seconds
    90-120 second rest between each round

Tuesday/Friday
    Back, Biceps
    10 minute Jump rope
    1. 50 Pull-ups/50 Chin-ups
    2. Bicep curls- 5 sets/12 reps
    Alternate 5-10 pull-ups with bicep curls then finish off with chin-ups

I’d recommend doing Ab Ripper X from P90X 2-3 times a week.
  • playmaker88
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No doubt im pretty much where i want to be just lookin to experiment a lil.. and tryin to be able to do some muscle ups
  • truth spitter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    if u want to do muscle ups do more pull-ups in volume...if u can add some type of weight on u..maybe feel a backpack with big rocks or something...the hardest and most important part on muscle ups is getting past the pull-up part
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ever try Insanity? No weights, just your body resistance.
  • Rexas
    Rexas Members Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Push ups and pull ups both are very nice exercise to build the chest. These exercises also useful for the triceps and biceps of muscles and give the strengthen to muscles.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Almost forgot about this thread I made. lol I've switched my calisthenics up a bit; here's what I do now:

50 push-ups
    2 sets of 25 mountain climbers
    2 sets of 25 half-burpees
    50 jogs
    50 jumping jacks
    2 sets of 25 prison squats
    2 sets of 25 jumping squats

Then I rest for a couple minutes and repeat everything. I call the exercise "The 7 100's", because there's 7 total exercises and 100 total reps for each exercise, totaling 700 total reps. I still lift weights, as well.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options