edited August 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Who do you think is the better singer?

Who do you think has better music?

Comments

• booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mariah Carey is a better singer in terms of vocal range than 99% of any singer that ever lived!!! HOWEVER her songs are mostly plastic lacking sincerity!
    80% of her catalog is pretty shallow and poorly written but shes singing the hell out of it with glass breaking notes and tone and control thats unbelievable.
    Singing Mary Had a Little Lamb could be a hit if you sing that well. Her best stuff was 1990 (Vision Of Love and Love Takes Time) then she went on auto pilot and the Glitter project that was pure ? and didnt do another good song until WE belong together in 2005.

Mary J was very pitchy early in her career but shes gotten better with age. but she sings and its REAL you feel every word, every lyric doesnt sound like shes singing a song but giving a testament! its like Mahalia Jackson singing gospel. theres other singers with more range and more power but very few that are as AUTHENTIC as Mary with the pain in her voice you just believe it! if you compared Mariah's albums vs Mary. Mary whips her ass like she stole something... The 411 and MY LIFE alone are 5 mic classics!
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I choose Mariaaaaaah for both categories.
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mariah......... all day
  • dan_the_man.com
    dan_the_man.com Members Posts: 701
    edited August 2011
    Options
    queen mary........
  • Cake4real
    Cake4real Members Posts: 815
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mary J all day
  • JayToTheZ
    JayToTheZ Members Posts: 454
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mary J Blige is awesome!
    She has also been making music for longer i think!
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mariah for me. Mary is a legend ofcourse, but it just seem like her music be so damn bi polar. One minute she up, next minute she down, one minute she's strong, next she cant be with out him. I mean music reflects life, and life has its ups and downs but damn.
  • dizmal
    dizmal Members Posts: 10
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mariah all the way
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mariah's voice is better, but i'd rather listen to mary's music.
  • YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Neither...

ADELE is that ? !
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    thats a hard one but i gotta go with Mary
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    JayToTheZ wrote: »
    Mary J Blige is awesome!
    She has also been making music for longer i think!

actually Mariah's professional debut was in 89 singing back up to Brenda K Starr and her first solo single dropped in 1990 VISION OF LOVE.

Mary was singing back up to Father MC in 1990 and her first solo was 1992 YOU REMIND ME and then the 411 album

so Mariah dropped first!
  • addage52259B1
    addage52259B1 Members Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mary's material is more varied, interesting and mature. Mary by a landslide.
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mary Jane Blige
  • tam
    tam Members Posts: 903
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mary............
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Carey has the better voice, Mary J has better everything else.
  • soulatlantic
    soulatlantic Members Posts: 346
    edited August 2011
    Options
    YC11 wrote: »
    Neither...

ADELE is that ? !

as incredible as Adele is, she's far to young in her career to be considered above Mary and Mariah. they both broke ground in a number of different ways. Adele is breaking ground now, but if you wanna consider her on their level she needs at least 10 more years to truly solidify herself.

don't get it twisted though... i LOVE Adele.
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Gonna go with Mariah
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Queen of Hip-Hop Soul... easily.

Mariah was done after the Butterfly album back in '97.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mary J. for sure. Mariah gets kinda old after a couple songs. She screams instead of sings. Mary J. got soul.
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mariah Carey is a better singer in terms of vocal range than 99% of any singer that ever lived!!! HOWEVER her songs are mostly plastic lacking sincerity!
    80% of her catalog is pretty shallow and poorly written but shes singing the hell out of it with glass breaking notes and tone and control thats unbelievable.
    Singing Mary Had a Little Lamb could be a hit if you sing that well. Her best stuff was 1990 (Vision Of Love and Love Takes Time) then she went on auto pilot and the Glitter project that was pure ? and didnt do another good song until WE belong together in 2005.

Mary J was very pitchy early in her career but shes gotten better with age. but she sings and its REAL you feel every word, every lyric doesnt sound like shes singing a song but giving a testament! its like Mahalia Jackson singing gospel. theres other singers with more range and more power but very few that are as AUTHENTIC as Mary with the pain in her voice you just believe it! if you compared Mariah's albums vs Mary. Mary whips her ass like she stole something... The 411 and MY LIFE alone are 5 mic classics!

I really do hate co-signing but that is the best answer in this thread