NBA's "Greatest Mode" Added to NBA 2K12

Options
Cigarello Slim
Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in IllGaming
Last year, gamers and basketball fans alike went absolutely nuts recreating and reliving the most exciting moments of Michael Jordan's career (at least, virtually) in the groundbreaking "NBA 2K11." How do you top it? How about recreating the best moments in the careers of 15 of the NBA's greatest players, then giving gamers the ability to test the current crop of ballers out in a battle of say, DR. J's Sixers versus LeBron and the Heat.

That's the concept behind "NBA 2K12's" new NBA's Greatest mode. In the feature, gamers will play through some of the most memorable moments of 15 legends and their teams, including Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dr. J, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. As you play through the mode, you will then be able to unlock these teams and legends in order to match them up against current greats like Kobe's Lakers and Dirk's Mavs.

"One of the things we're really proud of as a franchise is that we've transcended video games and have become part of the talk about basketball and the NBA," says Jason Argent, 2K's vice president of marketing. "So we're going to leverage that with 'NBA 2K12' as every person who loves to debate sports, every person in every barber shop and bar and everywhere else always wonders: What would happen if today's Lakers played one of the Jordan teams?

"We're playing into that with NBA's Greatest. It's really the next evolution of what everyone loved about The Jordan Challenge."

And while 2K has only announced five of the legends who will be appearing in the mode so far, they say part of the fun will be to hear the debate on who the remaining ten players should be.

"We want to get people talking," says Argent. "We want to get fans engaged in the next couple of weeks before we announce the rest of the roster."

Comments

• TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    that ? sound dope
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    dammit now i gotta buy this.

15 legends? damn.....
  • Cigarello Slim
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah I hope they fix the online servers that was the only thing holding 2K11 back
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man ? all dat, real ? aint got time playing added modes and ? . Fix the weak ass online server and rep and ill be striaght with that.

Xbox Ojus2nice

Cosign. Make sure the online ? is straight, and improve on the My Player mode. All that other ? is wack.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Calm down ? . This a good thing, damn.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Allen Iverson and the 76ers possisbility?
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    Calm down ? . This a good thing, damn.

seriously yo.

get some ? human interaction and invite another living being over instead of ? about online play damn
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I want the 90's Suns(Barkley,Majerle,KJ),90's Hornets(Grandmama,Alonzo,Mugsy),90's Rockets(Dream,Cassell,Kenny Smith),96 Sixers(just to play with Iverson).....
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ksmart wrote: »
    Allen Iverson and the 76ers possisbility?

:)...........
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    seriously yo.

get some ? human interaction and invite another living being over instead of ? about online play damn

cosign E2S

I hated online play because they time you on your subs, defense, offense, matchups & etc. Plus sometimes their signal will mess up the game in shss.

Im like "dawg, we just gon have to game on the same tv, f*ck this online shss*

playing sports games online is a no no
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If they got Reggie Miller I may have to buy this afterall.
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Damn, 2K on their job I see. Can't wait to see what the final product comes out to be
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    cosign E2S

I hated online play because they time you on your subs, defense, offense, matchups & etc. Plus sometimes their signal will mess up the game in shss.

Im like "dawg, we just gon have to game on the same tv, f*ck this online shss*

playing sports games online is a no no

i dont even like playing madden, but if its with a group of friends around, ill give it a try.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This feature is dope and all but naw, fix the ? online mode. Some cats actually wanna get good at this game and being able to play against all sorts of different types of opponents from around the world at your own convenience helps improve your game. Fix that ? , please.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    wilt better be in
  • infamous118
    infamous118 Members Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I want the 90s pacers.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? sounds wack tbh.
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    as long as the bad boys r n there...im gettin it.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    that ? sound dope

this^^^^^^^^
  • Cigarello Slim
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Aslong as it has Wilt's Lakers, Reggie's Pacers and Hakeem's Rockets i'll ? with it

The only thing I didn't like about the Jordan challenges in 2K11, was the fact that you couldn't adjust the minutes. I mean it makes it more of a challenge but still come on you gotta drop 50 plus points, 6 or 7 boards and a hand full of assists on five minutes.
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Aslong as it has Wilt's Lakers, Reggie's Pacers and Hakeem's Rockets i'll ? with it

The only thing I didn't like about the Jordan challenges in 2K11, was the fact that you couldn't adjust the minutes. I mean it makes it more of a challenge but still come on you gotta drop 50 plus points, 6 or 7 boards and a hand full of assists on five minutes.

i dont think the real mike ever played the entire 48 minutes..... mike probably averaged about 34 or 38 minutes a game

so if the jordan challenge let us play with mike, in 8 minute quarters, than it make sense
  • Cigarello Slim
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i dont think the real mike ever played the entire 48 minutes..... mike probably averaged about 34 or 38 minutes a game

so if the jordan challenge let us play with mike, in 8 minute quarters, than it make sense

That's true...
  • Cigarello Slim
    edited August 2011
    Options
    wrote:
    Hey guys,
    It’s my favorite time of year, as we’re now just 53 days away from launch and, like many of you, this time of year feels like the holidays. We’re going to be BIG this year with constant NBA 2K12 news from here until launch so be sure to stay up-to-date on all the hot new stuff we’re bringing to you this year.

I remember that, over the course of the spring, I would get the two questions time and time again: 1) how does NBA 2K12 outdo Michael Jordan as cover athlete and 2) how does it follow-up on it’s critical acclaim in terms of gameplay? Both questions have been on everyone’s mind since the success of last year’s game, which saw us sell more than 5 million copies and win 20 “Sports Game of the Year” awards from various publications. And they’re fair, because 2K11 was undoubtedly the best basketball game ever released in the eyes of this (maybe somewhat biased) observer.

Firstly, let me address the cover. We could only follow up “His Airness” one way -by doing it even bigger and better than anything before. So we’ve not only brought back MJ for NBA 2K12, but we’re also inviting a couple of his friends: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, who will appear on their own covers at launch. What better way to ring in the all-new “NBA’s Greatest Mode” than with three of the best players to ever lace them up?

Jordan, Magic and Bird (along with Julius “Dr. J” Erving and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) are just five of the 15 NBA legends we’re bringing into the mix for the all-new “NBA’s Greatest Mode.” Who will be the other 10? We’re letting you sounds guys sound off and as usual, the feedback from our community has been amazing. More than 200,000 votes have been cast on Facebook, resulting in the current top 15 (Bryant, James and Wade excluded)

1. Shaquille O’Neal – 12.1%
    2. Allen Iverson – 9.4%
    3. Wilt Chamberlain – 8.4%
    4. Reggie Miller – 7%
    5. Hakeem Olajuwon – 6.2%
    6. Charles Barkley – 6%
    7. Bill Russell – 5.1%
    8. Dominique Wilkins – 4%
    9. Oscar Robertson – 3.5%
    10. Karl Malone – 2.5%
    11. John Stockton – 2%
    12. Jerry West – 1.6%
    13. Scottie Pippen – 1.6%
    14. Patrick Ewing – 1.4%
    15. Isiah Thomas – 1.2%

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of community involvement over the next two months. We’ve created a skeleton list of the 15 players and rivalries to be featured in NBA’s Greatest. But we’ve been interested in your feedback. Is there a particular game or player you want to relive in NBA 2K12? You’ll finally get the chance to do so come Oct 4.

The next question is how we improve on our unprecedented gameplay. Our momentum from NBA 2K11 has definitely carried over into this year’s launch cycle, and that was very apparent when we showed up to E3. We were a focal point at Sony’s show and with a little help from five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, our brand was able to gain some huge attention. When the dust had settled at E3, we had picked up eight “Sports Game of the Year” nominations. As you remember, I was at E3 and it became apparent that we’re bigger than ever when we coaxed those awards despite only showing a five minute demo behind closed doors.

So far, the news of our cover and the “NBA’s Greatest” Mode has set off waves in the industry. But OBVIOSULY, the largest part of the game is the 2011-2012 NBA season and players and all the gameplay features that you have come to expect of us. But if last year proved anything, NBA fans care very much about the history of the game, and how it’s influenced the present-day game. We want to pay attention to that and we want people to compare the generations, players and teams and decide once and for all who’s better. I thank Scottie Pippen for that when he debated whether LeBron was better than Michael around the NBA Finals. I saw that blow up Twitter that week. Why not let that debate live on? Having said all that, I felt like it was a good idea to leak a couple screenshots of current players to the loyal readers of our Developer Insights…

Some new news about 2K12
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    pleasantly surprised bill russell got in the top 10
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options